LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Amilo Xi 1546 with HD 3650 startup problem

Tickles77

Hi there, so I bought an 8600M GS for my Amilo 1546 and the card would just continuing reboot, screen would not turn on etc, so I returned it.

I then bought instead an HD 3650 256mb DDR3, modified my heat sink as per http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....3&hl=hd3650 and http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html, installed Alienware BIOS 1.19 and then replaced my faulty x1800 with the HD 3650.

The screen shows the Alienware logo, allows me to boot to the BIOS or starts to load Windows but after maybe 10 seconds the card just turns off. The fan does not turn on at all.

I have scoured these forums and others, and have not found a solution, nor a definite reason why this is happening. Is it overheating? Is it faulty? If I put my X1800 back in, I can login to windows fine, and the fan works fine, but this new card just powers down after 10 seconds with no fan use.

I have modified the heatsink to allow for the HD3650 to fit snugly and used 3 thermal pads on top of each other to ensure the core of the card is in contact with the heatsink. They are quite thin akasa Thermal Adhesive Tape, supposedly ideal for heatsinks..

So what is my problem and can anyone recommend a solution? I have seen some others with similar problems but their threads seem to die before a real solution is found.

Please help me.

Thanks

use some arctic silver on the core and pads on the memory chips

Thanks, Facey, but that won't solve the problem. I've already got a solid connection between the core of the GPU and the heatsink as well as the memory chips.

The main problem seems to be that the fan does not even turn on with this card, yet it does with my faulty X1800.

Looks like I am returning a card again unless anyone has any more suggestions.

what vbios are you using, i used the Vox M86M A11 DDR3 16Mx32 256M 300e/400m vbios and it was fine

I have no idea what Vbios it has lol. It won't let me start up.

This is the listing I bought it from:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=260417612113

and so apparently this is the BIOS:

02ae_1.GIF

He claims in the listing that it is compatible with Amilo Xi1546, then tells me he had not actually tested in an Amilo Xi1546.

Since the laptop won't even boot properly without turning off after 5 seconds, I have no choice but to send the card back and buy a 3rd card! 3rd time lucky I guess.

Can anyone recommend me an eBay seller for this? Mxmupgrade is much more expensive, and macrecycling.com does not list Hd 3650's. Any other suggestions? Should I just go for a 8600M GT on macrecycling and I will be guaranteed compatibility?

Cheers.

Guest Meins321

RETURN the Card!

I bought from the same seller pc_solve and the card was non working due to Acer cripple Bios and any reflash with HP Bios result in non bootable inside my m5550 thus i had no chance to return.

My second card was bought from zubehoer_computer not pc_solve.

I have returned it, and ordered a 8600M GT from macrecycling. If they work out, then I will recommend them.

This is my 3rd card, I just want one to work >.<

• 2 months later...

Hi there, so I bought an 8600M GS for my Amilo 1546 and the card would just continuing reboot, screen would not turn on etc, so I returned it.

I then bought instead an HD 3650 256mb DDR3, modified my heat sink as per http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/index....3&hl=hd3650 and http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Fujitsu.html, installed Alienware BIOS 1.19 and then replaced my faulty x1800 with the HD 3650.

The screen shows the Alienware logo, allows me to boot to the BIOS or starts to load Windows but after maybe 10 seconds the card just turns off. The fan does not turn on at all.

I have scoured these forums and others, and have not found a solution, nor a definite reason why this is happening. Is it overheating? Is it faulty? If I put my X1800 back in, I can login to windows fine, and the fan works fine, but this new card just powers down after 10 seconds with no fan use.

I have modified the heatsink to allow for the HD3650 to fit snugly and used 3 thermal pads on top of each other to ensure the core of the card is in contact with the heatsink. They are quite thin akasa Thermal Adhesive Tape, supposedly ideal for heatsinks..

So what is my problem and can anyone recommend a solution? I have seen some others with similar problems but their threads seem to die before a real solution is found.

Please help me.

Thanks