LaptopVideo2Go Forums

INF GeneralConfigData Section INFO

®®®

If your miniport driver maps more than 8 MB of device memory, include a GeneralConfigData section in your INF file.

[GeneralConfigData]

[MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration = n]

[MaximumNumberOfDevices = n]

The following are GeneralConfigData entries and values:

MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration=n

Specifies the maximum number of megabytes of device memory that the miniport driver will attempt to map into the system address space for one video device enumerated by PCI. Windows uses this value as a hint to determine how many system page table entries (PTEs) it should allocate for the mapping. For this entry to take effect, a reboot may be needed. You can determine whether a reboot is necessary by checking the status of your device in the Device Manager.

MaximumNumberOfDevices=n

Specifies how many video devices (as enumerated by PCI and driven by your miniport driver) are expected to be present in the system. If you specify this entry, you must also specify the MaximumDeviceMemoryConfiguration entry. For this entry to take effect, a reboot may be needed. You can determine whether a reboot is necessary by checking the status of your device in the Device Manager.

Although these settings are almost self-explaining, this is some nice info which makes things clear! This info comes from MS.

What i don't understand is "enumerated by PCI". We all have AGP cards, so this setting is obsolete?? Nevertheless i tried this seeting in my inf with a value of 256 and there were no problems.

MaximumNumberof devices could be 16 for example, because if i remember right, someone said that QUADRO card can support up to 16 devices. I can't tell. QUADRO stuff is not my expert field :)

And another one: If your miniport driver maps more than 8 MB of device memory, you should manually edit the INF file to include the section and appropriate entries described in INF GeneralConfigData Section.

I think Enumerate by PCI is a failsafe. I would think NVIDIA would attempt an AGP check then enumerate (check the PCI slots one by one) the PCI bus then attempt onboard video before failing the driver startup. Some Dells do not contain AGP to lower the price of the system. Anyway AGP is dieing due to PCI-Express or PCI-X I forget which.