LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Forceware 186.03 is out

mobilenvidia

Big thanks to Korn1699 for pointing these out and justinkw1 for providing the below links.

You may already be aware of this, but NVIDIA has released new notebook drivers.

Version 186.03 WHQL for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Windows Vista 32-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...86.03_whql.html

Windows Vista 64-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...86.03_whql.html

Windows 7 32-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...86.03_whql.html

Windows 7 64-bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_noteb...86.03_whql.html

Windows 7 and Vista x32 Modded INF

Windows 7 and Vista x64 Modded INF

To use Modded INF, you are best to remove all other INFs, unless your GPU is not supported and the installer will pick the modded INF by default.

If your GPU is already supported in one of the OEM INFs then this will take preference over the Modded one.

Enjoy :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Plutomaniac

• CloudVN

• MrZero

• Ver Greeneyes

Interesting.. I think it is worth noting that these 186.03 (Notebook?) drivers have separate Vista & Windows 7 packages vs 186.08 (Desktop?) which has them combined.

EDIT: After extraction the INFs in either Vista or Win7 packages seem to be for both Vista & Windows 7 and most of the files are the same, with the exception of the .cat files. Nvidia confuses me sometimes.

Will nVidia release these for XP?Or any newer than 185.85?

Will these be modded?

I'm seeing the context menu right click desktop delay again under Vista 64. SAw this first with the 185.85 driver. I found this possible fix (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100643552) when I first saw the issue with 185.85. I was in no mood to manually hack up reg entries so I reverted back to 185.81. Anyone seeing this as well? If so, have you found a cleaner fix for it?

Edited by MrZero

... laptopvideo2go drivers still better... (just a compliment) :) Because we still need laptopvideo2go, they rock at news and releases for laptop drivers.

I'm seeing the context menu right click desktop delay again under Vista 64. SAw this first with the 185.85 driver. I found this possible fix (http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100643552) when I first saw the issue with 185.85. I was in no mood to manually hack up reg entries so I reverted back to 185.81. Anyone seeing this as well? If so, have you found a cleaner fix for it?

What's interesting is I'm not seeing these registry entries anywhere in the INFs supplied with this driver. I tentatively suggest you remove HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\NvCplDesktopContext entirely; if you lose control panel context menu support then reinstall the driver, it shouldn't add this key back. If the problem indeed originates there, you shouldn't see it again as long as the infs supplied with the driver don't add that key.

how temps (°C) and performance (FPS or 3D Mark Point)?

Edited by net.cat

Finally, this release supports the G 105M in my Acer, the previous one (185.85) did not support it.

Temperatures seem the same, and PowerMizer seems to work properly, it shifts between clock speeds slower than the OEM drivers of Acer (179.34/179.52) and I seem to have lost the GPU control in the Acer ePower Management utility, and Vista WEI seems to yield the same results, I haven't tested it in games yet, but all seems fine.

There is a difference in how the 18x.xx drivers have implemented PowerMizer I suppose.

Modded INFs made and in first post

What's interesting is I'm not seeing these registry entries anywhere in the INFs supplied with this driver. I tentatively suggest you remove HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\NvCplDesktopContext entirely; if you lose control panel context menu support then reinstall the driver, it shouldn't add this key back. If the problem indeed originates there, you shouldn't see it again as long as the infs supplied with the driver don't add that key.

Tried this - no joy. Steps I used:

1. Uninstalled existing driver (in this case, 185.81) via Programs & Features control panel

2. Reboot into Safe Mode

3. Run Driver Sweeper

4. Manually deleted HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\contextmenuhandlers\NvCplDesktopContext

5. Run CCleaner's Registry Clean

6. Reboot (normal mode)

7. Ran the installer for 186.03 and rebooted @ prompt

Still seeing the delay and I checked via Regedit and the key is now back - so the installer is adding this in somewhere.

Edited by MrZero

Again no more support for my MSI from nvidia...

Good thing there's this site, with goood moded infs:)

tnxxxxx laptopvideo2go !!!!!!!!

however which is the best one between this and 185.93?

All original laptop drivers from NVidia have been rather reliable and bugfree than superfast.

tnxxxxx laptopvideo2go !!!!!!!!

however which is the best one between this and 185.93?

This one's better, IMO.

Am I the only one missing the ctrl panel?

I don't seem to have that issue....

Edited by Prasad007

how temps (°C) and performance (FPS or 3D Mark Point)?

I'm getting 9421 with 70 degrees max during the test (without my cooling pad). No significant change for me from the last nVidia driver..

hey, thx for this driver. I saw that there was a newer version from Nvidia's site! I will test it if 5 mins to see if everything is ok with my Nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU!!!

EDIT: I tested it and it works fine but I had to install it 2 times. The first time when I tryed to lunch Nvidia Control Pannel it wouldn't open with an error and it told me to reinstall the driver. The second time everything worked fine - it's great!!! THX to everyone...

Edited by Plutomaniac

Tried this - no joy. Steps I used:

Still seeing the delay and I checked via Regedit and the key is now back - so the installer is adding this in somewhere.

Well, I'm a bit at a loss here as to what is adding it - have you tried installing it manually (DPInst or Device Manager) and seeing if the key shows up? That would tell us whether it's the installer executable or not.

Does this reenable the auto downclock feature ? I have just tried once but perhaps it doesn't