LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 and full working driver for go5200

mobilenvidia

grewnd33 has done some great research on the go5200 and Win7 functionality.

His findings are below, this should interest quite a few folk with older GPU's

Hi,

Before we chatted in the forums about not being able to get a driver working for the Geforce Go FX5200 under Windows 7. However, I noticed on the Nvidia.com site that they link you to a driver for 96.85_forceware_winvista_x86_international_whql as the Windows 7 driver for this. I could not get that to install so I searched your forum and found nVIDIA ForceWare 96.85 for Windows VISTA 32bit (x86) RC2 and higher used this inf: 96.85 Vista INF I now have a working control panel, full resolution, and hardware acceleration under Windows 7. I hope this helps. All I did was unpack the official Nvidia driver and use your inf.

Great work :)

That link does not work for me, can you please post the correct one.

It has the ... in it

I have 98.16 working flawlessly with Windows 7 Aero on a FX Go5200. It took some inf tweaking, but it does work well.

The attached inf is only for the Dell Inspiron 5150 and 5160, but if someone wants to add the correct system IDs, it shoiuld work for other FX 5200 machines. This is for Window 7 only.

nv_9816_W7.inf

Guest TheNetAvenger

Couple Tips for the 5xxx Geforce cards on Vista and Win7, and a request...

Some of the 64mb cards and PCI cards, you can use Aero, but just turn off the 'transparency', this will let you keep the features of the DWM, and not have any slow down.

Also to note, there are a few 5200s and 5600s that I have personally ran across that for whatever reason clock to 1/2 the speed, so the GPU and GPU RAM will report it is running at the normal speed, but in fact is running at 50% the speed it is, and there is not any easy way to tell, as even tools like Rivatuner report what the card says and it thinks it is running at 100% of the GPU speed.

(And NO THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH POWERMIZER or the Video Card running in 2D or 3D performance Clock speeds.)

When you run across one of these cards you will notice immediately, as the 5600 even with 64mb of RAM on a 1280x800 display will draw pretty slowly with Aero on. Your only solution is to artificially set the clock speed via a tool like Riva Tuner to double the defaults. (Maybe one of the INF gurus here would know more about why this happens and something they could add to the inf as a workaround.)

Request...

Since most people using the 5xxx series are laptop users, you don't have a choice to change video. It would be nice if someone here at this site that messes with INFs would optimize one of the higher 98 or 99 series drivers with any Win7 INF features they can and submit the updated INF (especially as the INF writers learned more about Vista tricks since the 98.65 INF files on this site were written several years ago.)

Also if anyone at NVidia is listening, UPDATE YOUR FREAKING DRIVERS, you are acting like Intel and screwing over your customers, and yes I know these are old chipsets, but there is enough similarity that you could $IF out the 6xxx and newer features for a solid 5xxx series driver! Especially with Win7 around the corner and people with older XP Laptops WILL be installing Win7 and don't want to be stuck with the XPDM Drivers.

(PS Users, if all else fails, you should be able to force the XP drivers to install if you can't get the Vista drivers to work. You may have to manually install them from the device manger and tell it to do it anyway, but the XPDM is still alive and well and working in Win7.)

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600. Can you make an inf for my system? I can do whatever you need for information. Also, how did you get the newer drivers working?

"i got the 174.74 working on Geforce FX 5x00. you just need to modify the driver with mobility modder.net. than install it in the compatibility mode."

Nice try, but I just did this too and it installs but doesn't enable hardware acceleration or control panel. Just because a driver installs doesn't mean it is fully working.

Same thing here, grewnd33. If you post your system ID line, I'll make an inf for you that should give you full W7 Aero Glass support with driver 98.16.

Go to the bottom of a working inf and find the line that describes your video card. It will look like this:

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200"

Make sure you have the one that exactly fits your card. Note the string on the left and look for the corresponding line at the top of the inf, which will look something like this:

%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.3% = nv_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324&SUBSYS_01961028

Give me those lines and I can take it from there.

Use any driver that installs for you without having to use compatibility mode.

• 1 month later...

I have 98.16 working flawlessly with Windows 7 Aero on a FX Go5200. It took some inf tweaking, but it does work well.

The attached inf is only for the Dell Inspiron 5150 and 5160, but if someone wants to add the correct system IDs, it shoiuld work for other FX 5200 machines. This is for Window 7 only.

Can you make tweaked INF for x64 version ?

%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.2% = nv4_Egret, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324&SUBSYS_006E1025

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 "

(Acer Aspire 1362LC with 64M Go5200)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mutang-gx

Go to the bottom of a working inf and find the line that describes your video card. It will look like this:

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200"

Make sure you have the one that exactly fits your card. Note the string on the left and look for the corresponding line at the top of the inf, which will look something like this:

%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.3% = nv_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324&SUBSYS_01961028

Give me those lines and I can take it from there.

Hi,

Could you create/tweak the file for me please so that I can use aero?

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 "

%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1% = nv_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324

Driver version 96.85 and the system is an IBM Thinkpad G40.

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

Could you create/tweak the file for me please so that I can use aero?

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 "

%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.1% = nv_NV3x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324

Driver version 96.85 and the system is an IBM Thinkpad G40.

Thanks a lot.

Try this one with driver 98.16 and let me know if you have any problems.

nv_9816_W7.inf

Can you make tweaked INF for x64 version ?

%NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.2% = nv4_Egret, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324&SUBSYS_006E1025

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0324.2 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 "

(Acer Aspire 1362LC with 64M Go5200)

Try this inf with 98.66 and let me know if you have any problems.

NV_9816_W7_X64.inf

Guest wallstrum

I've got an FX 5200 sucking on Win7 with ForceWare 96.85.

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0322.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200"

Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

i'm in the same boat, and when i try to install a moded version of 190.56 for win7 64bit, the driver update times out and just reverts... please help!

wally

Guest leepaul

Well, Inside the 96.85 folder on windows 7 there is an executable named "Setup.exe". Click it, it will say vista but it worked for me and i now have fully working windows aero theme. The laptop was designed for XP and all i did was add 256 mb of ram to the 512mb. Only for GeForce FX Go5200 (i think =S). Hope it works for you guys!

• 3 months later...

I've got an FX 5200 sucking on Win7 with ForceWare 96.85.

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0322.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200"

Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

Sorry for bumping this, but I am really desperate. :/

I can't use modified 98.16 for Windows 7 and FX 5200. It enables Aero, okay but it locks computer at random times. I can't run 3D applications (not even MS games) I think problem is 3D. I can't even open dxdiag, 'cause at start up it locks up and freezes computer. Later when I try dxdiag in Safe Mode it says something like "Direct 3D and DirectShow couldn't managed to pass, want to ignore testing them?".

Forceware 169.21 works great but without Aero. Is it a way to combine this two drivers or just disable Direct3D for 98.16?

I'd be appreciated If anyone can help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest AureliusEnzo

Hello, Larry,

Thanks for hard work making the old GPUs run on Windows 7.

I have a Dell Latitude D800 with a FX Go5200, hardward ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0324&SUBSYS019C1028&REV_A1

I would like to use the 98.16 Vista drivers, however I don't have an .inf for Windows 7 that supports this card / hardware id.

Can you make me an .inf for my machine?

Many thanks again.