LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware 51m not recognising drivers and screen ripples

mi33pea

I have an alienware 51m 766 with FX Go 5700 video card and am using XP.

Don't know the last useable driver as i only started noticing when things went wrong and i started trying other drivers.

First noticed that i had a problem when the screen resolution changed overnight. i later noticed an exclamation mark in control panel's system devices and green vertical lines down the screen when booting up.

From this website i have now various different drivers from this website (8471, 7650, 8421, 8425, 8210) with their respective modified infs - and i either get the blue screen of death, or "could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware". I have made sure that i properly clean out all the vga driver files before installing the next lot.

So I'm now operating with just windows default drivers i guess - (exclamation mark still there in devices) - with limited range of screen resolutions to choose from - screen rippling, and the vertical lines.

I have also just tried old 62.20 drivers downloaded from the alienware support site and i'm still getting an exclamation mark next to my graphics card in control panel's system devices.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not the drivers that are the problem - or have i not tried enough different driver versions yet. I'd be so grateful for any advice. The worst thing about this is the screen rippling as i cursor down.

many thanks in anticipation

The last driver I used with my Acer/ go5700 was 82.10 with modified inf, then it blew. A good driver and little newer is 98.16, again with modified inf. But it's a Vista driver I think. Did a search with XP32 and go5700, here some of the results:

85.96, 101.08, 165.01, 175.80.

Thanks for your response - The latter drivers 101.08, 165.01, 175.80 are Vista only so i've ignored those. I have just tried the 85.96 you recommended which has had strange effect on my laptop - the screen slowly cleared then slowly turned pink, then purple and then black over a period of about three minutes. then it hung in that black state so i rebooted and had a cycle of blue screen of death and rebooting. - so i uninstalled those drivers in safe mode - and am still clueless.

Thanks for your response - The latter drivers 101.08, 165.01, 175.80 are Vista only so i've ignored those.

Nope. Look closer.

thanks zipper and yes i don't know how i thought those drivers were for vista only - however i have now tried all of those three - with their modified infs (but only the infs at the top of the page next to the drivers - not infs modified by others) - and still NOTHING. machine keeps rebooting and bsod - or it reports that it can't find drivers compatible with your hardware.

Having read so much feedback from others re certain drivers slowing down their machine massively - my laptop won't even accept the drivers in order to slow the machine down. so surely it can't be the drivers and I have tried so many now.

i don't know anything about vga bios - but might it be worth my updating my bios which won't have been updated since manufacture.

thanks for listening

- or it reports that it can't find drivers compatible with your hardware.

You should check the ID of your card if it's different from the known ones which are:

NVIDIA_NV36.DEV_0347.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5700 "

NVIDIA_NV36.DEV_0348.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5700 "

It's possible your bios might clash with new drivers but at least the original ones and drivers with similar date should work.

You could find something here:

http://www.notebookforums.com/forum27.html

oh dear - well i can't try anything new now as the screen is garbled as soon as i boot it up - with some letters showing - others masked by fat black vertical stripes - which then show over the top of the windows logo - and as soon as it's booted up the screen is covered with fine green and black vertical stripes. I think this probably means that my graphics card has reached the end of its life - though i will try checking it and possibly reseating it as advised in various forums.

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate your help though.

I think this probably means that my graphics card has reached the end of its life - though i will try checking it and possibly reseating it as advised in various forums.

Sad, but probably true.