LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Hybrid SLI on Laptops running in Windows XP

Guest CodeNameCow

Guest CodeNameCow

Hi.

I have a Toshiba Qosmio x300. I have the machine working fine in Vista and 7, but I would prefer Windows XP to run games. The problem is, that Microsoft have not allowed/programed Hybrid SLI into Windows XP.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to switch from my intergrated 9400M G to the SLI 9800M GTS. Can not display 9400 in bios.

Some information. (Using Vista and 7)

I noticed that when the machine is switched from Power Saving mode (9400M G) to Performance (SLI 9800M GTS) the default display gets changed as well. The 9400M G runs on Display 1 and the SLIs run on Display 2 (7) or Display 3 (Vista).

I have tried to shift these manually through the Registry in XP without success.

Can anyone help out some more. Will be happy to provide information if needed.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I tried a search on Hybrid and only got the poll and Mac Hybrid.

Hybrid SLI switching without rebooting only works on Vista+Win7. This is most likely due to a feature in the OS itself that allows for displays to be switched on the fly. You should be able to disable the device that you do not want to use in XP and reboot to use the other device. Rebooting to use a different GPU is required, there is no real way around it.

Guest CodeNameCow

Thanks for that.

I don't mind having to reboot to change the settings. It is going to be used mostly on power, so will not switch to the 9400 very often anyway. I can not disable the 9400 though through the Bios or in Windows. There is no option in the Bios and if you disable it in Windows then when you log back in it is using the standard vga driver.

Hmm.. yeah that makes things difficult. I can see why you were trying to switch things through the registry.

For your research:

Hybrid SLI notebooks feature two GPUs, one is a mGPU (motherboard GPU) and the other a dGPU (discrete GPU.) In your case I believe the 9400 is the mGPU and the 9800s are the dGPUs.

I suggest researching Hybrid SLI notebooks and XP to see if there are any that have the dGPU working in windows XP.

I will say that I know for a fact the dGPU is working on some Hybrid Graphics (Intel+Nvidia) notebooks using XP.

I hope this information helps.

Guest CodeNameCow

Thankyou Nautis1100 for your help.

I have seen references to people getting Hybrid SLI working in XP, but as far as I can tell they are able to disable the onboard (lower spec) chip via the bios. I will continue to look around and see if I can find more information.

If anyone is able to tell me how to change the default monitor/graphics in Windows via Registry then I will try doing that. XP shows all drivers installed. The Nvidia Physix shows all 3 chips as well. I also have 4 monitors install on the machine. 3 Default and 1 Plug and Play. As far as I can tell the 4 monitors correspond with 1 - 9400, 2 - HDMI, 3 - VGA, 4 - 9800 (or something similar). I think that all that needs to be done is be able to tell XP which monitor it should use as default.

Will persevere with Windows 7 then as I just installed the new 19x.xx drivers from this site - hopefully it fixes a few issues I was having.