LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Quadro FX 3600m/1600m - Two cards, same codname?

Darris

GPU: FX 3600M

Nvidia driver: ?

Do you have the 135w power supply?

The second one is the one i purchased, though it was much cheaper. The first one looks like the one I purchased, with the same board/chip configuration. not sure if it's EXACTLY the same, but it's damn near close enough to the one I purchased.

The 4 mounting holes surrounding the GPU seem to be smaller than the ones on the alienware version. Perhaps a small insert of some sort is inside the holes? Do you notice the difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130315740243

Do you think that might be an issue while mounting it and inserting the screws in there?

Thanks for the tips.

Edited by 2DXtreme

The 4 mounting holes surrounding the GPU seem to be smaller than the ones on the alienware version. Perhaps a small insert of some sort is inside the holes? Do you notice the difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=130315740243

Do you think that might be an issue while mounting it and inserting the screws in there?

Thanks for the tips.

I had no issues with the mounting holes. What issues I'm having now is how HOT this thing runs while playing games now. I posted that this thing hit 78-80 deg. while doing benchmarks. Well, that's true with gaming as well. The issues I'm having is the palm rest, and especially the beveled plastic (where the 3 pointer buttons are) gets so hot that it's near painful to rest my wrists on while playing any intensive game.

I picked up a NotePal X1 and it seems to bring my idle temps from 60 down to 45 so that helps a TON. But yes, this thing is running HOT. I'm trying to think of ways to modify the VGA cooler to keep the temps under control. 78 deg. is pretty acceptable as far as gpu temps run, but the rest of the laptop can't handle it. I'm afraid to play anything long-term in the event that anything actually melts on this chasis.

Just hit 88 degrees while playing an MMO. Deff. not right.

Edited by Darris

Guest Guest_Darris_*

Well, I swapped back to the fx1600m and I'm still having heating problems. Topped 90c playing games last night while using the 1600m. wtf? Anyone else having heat issues?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I swapped back to the fx1600m and I'm still having heating problems. Topped 90c playing games last night while using the 1600m. wtf? Anyone else having heat issues?

So maybe upgrading is not such a good idea?

At least not without the proper heat sink.

I wonder why it still overheats, even after going back to the 1600M.

It's quite strange that the FX1600M is overheating.

At the begin of next month I'm going to buy a 8710W. Pity enough it's the version with one heatpipe. But I'm going to send a mail to my Clevo dealer which also sells notebooks from Lenovo and HP. Hopefully he could help us to find the right partnumber for the heatsink with the dual heatpipe.

I've found on eBay a Taiwanese guy which sells the FX 3700M for a nice price. I'm going to buy the FX 3700M (Badaboom is ruling with 128 shaders) and give it a try to find the right partnumber. Otherwise I've to find a very good thermal paste.

• 7 months later...

I've found on eBay a Taiwanese guy which sells the FX 3700M for a nice price. I'm going to buy the FX 3700M (Badaboom is ruling with 128 shaders) and give it a try to find the right partnumber. Otherwise I've to find a very good thermal paste.

DaMarcus,

So are you running the FX3700M on the 8710w?

Were you able to solve the BIOS issues (ex. lower clock speeds, 256MB RAM, monitor off, etc)?

Any updates at all?

Or are we better off just upgrading to an FX3600M, which apparently seems to work just fine.

Any issues with the FX3600M, beside the obvious overheating due to improper cooling?

Edited by 2DXtreme

• 4 months later...

DaMarcus,

So are you running the FX3700M on the 8710w?

Were you able to solve the BIOS issues (ex. lower clock speeds, 256MB RAM, monitor off, etc)?

Any updates at all?

Or are we better off just upgrading to an FX3600M, which apparently seems to work just fine.

Any issues with the FX3600M, beside the obvious overheating due to improper cooling?

Hello, I have a same doubt, 8710w + FX3700M. In Windows 7 X64 doesn´t work for drivers problems.

• 1 year later...
Guest Some HP MXM guy

In case anyone was still wondering - the 3600m that look like 1600m are 1600m. The sellers are idiots. On an off note, search 8700m for good deals on the MXM 3.0 gtx 260m (pretty off note, cause the 260m wont work in this laptop).

I think you guys should try out the Alienware 9800m GT that are being sold nowadays for under 200$. These have 96sp, and the 3600m has 64sp. I think you could flash the vBIOS to the 3600m, because I have done the opposite and it worked fine.

Also.... if you're crazy, why not try flashing the 3700m to a 3600m vBIOS? These 3700m have been flashed to an astonishing number of strange things including a 9800m GT, gtx 260m, and 280m. They're all g92 based which is why it works.

• 3 months later...