LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The Asus W90VP with dual ATI 4870s

Spires

Hey Hey! Hello everyone, I swore I would never get another SLI/crossfire based laptop after the Sager 5950's total lack of support for SLI drivers(which btw is still stuck at 86.40 original drivers)... However Asus came out with the W90 and whoa what a beast for a lowly 2199$! Rips through every single game I throw at it and it overclocks like a champ! I love to overclock, it is an obsession for me and this laptop kicks it! I clocked and X9000 to 3.9ghz and scored 17.2k in 3dmark 06! Amazing hardware... Anyways, seems ATI is doing the same damn thing Nvidia and Sager/Clevo had done initially.. So far if you mod or force a desktop driver to fit on the cards, they work and work well but never in crossfire (Doh!).. Over at Noteboookreview, a fellow found out that if he flashed the second card to a master card's bios, he could get Catalyst 9.4 to work, but the one fellow on the forums who modded an .inf for us has yet to be heard from again. All our efforts have been fruitless for cats 9.6. I flashed my cards back to their original bios', and tried everything to force the drivers.. Even tried forcing Win7 mobility beta drivers but I cant seem to get them to even load up.. Perhaps one of you guru's here can do the job for us eh? I mean we are all amatures and you guys are the pros heheh... :)

Here is a link to the Cat 9.6 Win7 mobility drivers..

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...ob_win7-64.aspx

Here is a link to the current drivers that are quite old..

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/ATI (the M98 ones at the top of the list)

Thanks for any help dudes!

I know that DriverHeaven has an ATi tool wich can modd desktop drivers to mobile ones. Did you tried it? Maybe it works in that way...

Yeah, for now try that.

I'm looking to own an ati graphics card and looking to make modded infs and optimised drivers for it in the future.

• 1 month later...
Guest Spires

Yeah, for now try that.

I'm looking to own an ati graphics card and looking to make modded infs and optimised drivers for it in the future.

Have tried everything, but just cannot get xfire to work.. The stock driver does not see to work well with Everquest2 well, So I disabled one card for now and just use the latest Catalyst 9.7 drivers. When you mod the drivers and install them, you just end up with the second card having a code43 on it.

• 6 months later...

Yeah, for now try that.

:)

Man, if you thought mobile Nvidia users were "needy"... you ain't seen nothing. You are the best, hands down. I've been looking at the G73, but thinking that I really should wait for something with Crossfire Mobility HD5870... now it will be interesting to see what you can do with this hardware. A Best Buy G73 may have enough oomph! to be a better bang for the buck with you providing drivers.

...not that my HD5970 needs it, but any chance of desktop support too?