LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Browser Performance

mobilenvidia

Saw this posted by Fadetoblack somewhere else and thought it should get a better mention.

It comes from betanews.com

3526.jpg

Well, FF is obviously getting faster, and we all knew that Chrome and Safari 4 are faster - after all, that's the main reason to drop all the wonderful plugins.

What surprises me is just how much slower Vista is. I mean, that looks like like a pretty solid 20% speed decrease on the XP/7 average on most modern browsers.

Also, amusing to see just how slow IE still is, and kind of disappointed at the latest Opera.

The bars on the chart are a bit deceptive due to the artsy angle and I don't see any system specs. The key points are still in tact however. Webkit is a quick beast.

main question is, what they have tested. it looks like java performance chart.

btw. who cares about java speed?

OK, so BetaNews explained their testing procedure here.

I believe that this is also an interesting article about how every drop of performance counts (or how you can optimize your browser to work great with you test).

PS: All the scores are relative to Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 7 Release Candidate (as you can probably figure out by the scores and the length of the bars). The thing that amazes me most is how slow Vista actually is and how Microsoft haven't yet managed to edge it with 7 (XP).

I haven't seen any comparison test lately and all reviews are very vague (it works well, it is very fast, etc) and nobody even tries to benchmark them anymore (which is sad, because the PR departments are suckers for being the best, performance and other aspects so they get pretty worked up when something doesn't go their way).

Edited by FadeToBlack

The bars on the chart are a bit deceptive due to the artsy angle and I don't see any system specs. The key points are still in tact however. Webkit is a quick beast.

I think these benchmarks are based more on JavaScript and things like that, than pure HTML rendering speed (which is what WebKit does). Actually, it my experience, WebKit is quite slow rendering sites that have lots of transparency effects, like my own.

I'm a PHP Progger from Germany and i test my Apps with these browser.

I see the differecen between them every day and it is a big i think.

Everyone can test their browser comparing to others.

Futuremark Browserbenchmark

This bench test your browser in common actions in web.

So test ur Browser and see the difference

it looks like java performance chart.
I highly doubt they would benchmark a plugin…
I'm a PHP Progger
[OT] Ewww! [/OT] Edited by dhoon

according to futuremark browser benchmark. My browser is severly sub par. I scored 967 with firefox 3.0.11 meant to be 1400 or something. Crazy, so think what is wrong with my system. FSB?? who would have thought u need a beast of a pc to view webpages :) the new craze getting an i7 core to bench webbrowsers. nice. can it be an internet connection as I am in SA. high ping be a factor?

Relax and upgrade to 3.5.