LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nVidia GeForce 8600M GS DDR2 Overclocking

^nox

First of all your english is perfect ! Second of all thanks for the screens. Looks awesome reaching almost 4000 points, pretty sick. Just few questions, both you and Stewdent are able to push your shader clocks up to 1600mhz, are you able to do the same in rivatuner ? Cous i only get to push it up to 1500Mhz max :P "Im thinking could be the old driver or maybe old rivatuner version". Next which back lid did you remove from your lappy that brought your temperature so low ? :) Thanks for posting again, wicked results. Keep it up !

BTW: I just pushed my clocks again and reached score 3600, temp 86. In crysis stable around 87 - 88 degrees maximum i saw it to go up to was 90. I might have to clean my vents and maybe apply some thermal paste.

with rivatuner you can push up your clocks only %50 of the default clocks.. you can change this by going to power user tab and disable the hexademical display if its enabled then under the RivaTuner / Overclocking / Global tab set the max clock to the 200 and you are able to push up your clocks %200 now.. However if you overclock your card over %50, rivatuner pulls it back to the %50.. You have to use eVGA Precision ( you can found it on Guru3D ) this program lets you overclock %60.. if you overclock your card over %50 with this program ( even %50.1 ) you can continue your overclock with rivatuner.. I hope you understand :)

btw I will do a crysis benchmark when i get the game

edit: acer 5920g only have one lid. My lappy looks like this

img0440mr9.jpg

Edited by Equal1zer

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ^nox

• StewDent

• Equal1zer

• payne

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

with rivatuner you can push up your clocks only %50 of the default clocks.. you can change this by going to power user tab and disable the hexademical display if its enabled then under the RivaTuner / Overclocking / Global tab set the max clock to the 200 and you are able to push up your clocks %200 now.. However if you overclock your card over %50, rivatuner pulls it back to the %50.. You have to use eVGA Precision ( you can found it on Guru3D ) this program lets you overclock %60.. if you overclock your card over %50 with this program ( even %50.1 ) you can continue your overclock with rivatuner.. I hope you understand :)

btw I will do a crysis benchmark when i get the game

edit: acer 5920g only have one lid. My lappy looks like this

img0440mr9.jpg

Hey thanks for the info. I gotta say you are pretty lucky you can take the cover of your intel gpu fan and the rest of the stuff just by unscrewing couple bolts. My hp when i looked through the service manual evento replace my cpu or to get to my heatsink i have to pretty much take the whole machine apart :) Anyway thanks for the o/c insight, always learn something new. I will give it a try, but for now i will just play with the clocks available and see what max clock can i reach staying under 88 degrees celsius :P

Here is a picture of my last failry succcesfull clock - 650 core | 1500 shaders | 455memory

post-19481-124941349701_thumb.jpg

Hey StewDent, 1600 is freaking awesome at 86 - 87 degrees. First of all thanks for testing out diferent scheme for overclocking. second of all thats a hell of a result.

Few questions i o/c thourhg rivatuner, and my max shader clock i can go up to is only 1500 kidna strange not sure how come you were able to go up to 1600 perhaps nvidia software is more accurate ? At the moment im testing 650/1500/455 and it seems to be at a stable temp of maximum 89 degrees in Crysis. Ill post results later.

By the way few questions about win7. When you dowloaded the OS you put it on bootable DVD ? And install as usuall ? Does the HP recovery partition stay intact and can it be used to restore factory settings if i want to revert back to vista even thouhg i have win 7 runing ? One more thing do updates work in win 7 ? :unsure: Thanks mate

m2 is it a DDR2 card ? :w00t:

Well, OCing through Nvidia system tools lets you even moar :P (just don't forget your liquid nitrogen :) ) Currently I'm testing the 6.05 version and it seems to be pretty stable on win7 x64 (YEAH, I installed 4 gigs of RAM and x64 win7).

capture2r.th.jpg

Yes, burn it on any clean DVD. Installation process is quite simple (like the Vista one),and to keep your HP recovery just dont delete its partition during install(you will have a choice where to install your Win7 )- its a hidden partition that you don't see in OS but is manageable during installation. Also, if you want dual boot with your current Vista, just create a new partition for the win7 (or resize any older, just make sure its at least 15 GB, win7 weights 11GB) and instillation manager will automatically create a dual-boot menu.

All updates + ALL drivers (except video, you gotta get it from the Nvidia site, its a new Microsoft policy) for the HP laptops are available in Win7 update manager, even during 30-days trial + you can rearm system for the additional 60 days.

PS. :)

captureruq.th.jpg

I wanna give some voltage for overclock further.. But i dont know it will be effective or not..

Well, OCing through Nvidia system tools lets you even moar :P (just don't forget your liquid nitrogen :) ) Currently I'm testing the 6.05 version and it seems to be pretty stable on win7 x64 (YEAH, I installed 4 gigs of RAM and x64 win7).

capture2r.th.jpg

Yes, burn it on any clean DVD. Installation process is quite simple (like the Vista one),and to keep your HP recovery just dont delete its partition during install(you will have a choice where to install your Win7 )- its a hidden partition that you don't see in OS but is manageable during installation. Also, if you want dual boot with your current Vista, just create a new partition for the win7 (or resize any older, just make sure its at least 15 GB, win7 weights 11GB) and instillation manager will automatically create a dual-boot menu.

All updates + ALL drivers (except video, you gotta get it from the Nvidia site, its a new Microsoft policy) for the HP laptops are available in Win7 update manager, even during 30-days trial + you can rearm system for the additional 60 days.

PS. :)

captureruq.th.jpg

Hey man thanks for all the info and tips. Ill test out the nVidia System tools, im surprised it lets you overclock more than rivatuner "for what a power tool it is" :unsure: Glad to see you now officially utilize all your laptop memory capacity. My laptop was actually said to be by "HP" itself only 2GB capable, but obivously that doesnt make sense :unsure: So i threw in 2 x 2 DDR2 667 sticks and cant wait to see 64 bit Win7 take care of it :w00t:

Anyway i got the ISO, but im working at the moment on few Crysis configs that i want to release by the end of this week. Actually ive already released 2, now im working on the last one. Once thats finished im burning the iso and testing it out "cant wait", it looks pretty good performance wise ! :unsure: Im also going to test some new drivers with that so ill post and edit my main topic post soon with new results. The only thing is my GPU temperature seems to get higher than yours so i will look int ocleaning my fan etc...

BTW when you are talkign about the Win7 update manager, is that the same thing as the windows updates in vista ? :unsure: Oh and one last thing here is a quoted text fro manother forum "And to get other options besides ultimate install, open the iso, delete ei.cfg, save the iso, burm/mount, install

now you have choices for ultimate, home premium, professional, etc ". Thought this might interest you. And for activating Windows 7 afterwards i found this you might want to google it "Windows 7 Loader by orbit30".

Cheers

I wanna give some voltage for overclock further.. But i dont know it will be effective or not..

I was looking into that too, but was more curious in tempering with my fan. But cant find a way to actually control it :P

Hey man thanks for all the info and tips. Ill test out the nVidia System tools, im surprised it lets you overclock more than rivatuner "for what a power tool it is" :) Glad to see you now officially utilize all your laptop memory capacity. My laptop was actually said to be by "HP" itself only 2GB capable, but obivously that doesnt make sense :w00t: So i threw in 2 x 2 DDR2 667 sticks and cant wait to see 64 bit Win7 take care of it :P

Anyway i got the ISO, but im working at the moment on few Crysis configs that i want to release by the end of this week. Actually ive already released 2, now im working on the last one. Once thats finished im burning the iso and testing it out "cant wait", it looks pretty good performance wise ! :unsure: Im also going to test some new drivers with that so ill post and edit my main topic post soon with new results. The only thing is my GPU temperature seems to get higher than yours so i will look int ocleaning my fan etc...

BTW when you are talkign about the Win7 update manager, is that the same thing as the windows updates in vista ? :unsure: Oh and one last thing here is a quoted text fro manother forum "And to get other options besides ultimate install, open the iso, delete ei.cfg, save the iso, burm/mount, install

now you have choices for ultimate, home premium, professional, etc ". Thought this might interest you. And for activating Windows 7 afterwards i found this you might want to google it "Windows 7 Loader by orbit30".

Cheers

I was looking into that too, but was more curious in tempering with my fan. But cant find a way to actually control it :unsure:

Its the same update manager as the Vista's one.

Well, I wouldn't recommend activating win7 with any tool for now bcz Microsoft has banned most of the leaked OEM keys + some users who used them :unsure: There is not so much win7 RTM users for now and you don't need unnecessary attention from the Microsoft side... I think 120-days legal trial is more than enough (there is no cutouts).

I played I little with Windows ACPI settings but, unfortunately didn't find any variables responsible for fan control. (However, I figured out how to shift processor passive cooling scheme but, for me, its useless).

Voltages can be changed through BIOS modification (as well as clocks, that was my first successful attempt to OC Mhzs) but I'm not sure if its gonna work for the mobile GPU, kinda risky - if it fails, you wont be able to boot lappy... :)

OK i got Win7 up and runnign all is good except one device which comes as unknown and i have already figured out its related to my hp mini remote. Here is pic : "Did you get yourz working by any chance ?"

post-19481-124955019429_thumb.jpg

Edited by ^nox

Sure, it does:

post-40233-124959187039_thumb.jpg

Try to enable recommended updates in the update settings. Some drivers will be installed as recommended.

I found a program called nTimings that you can change your gpu ram timings without flashing bios.. Its quite hard to use and if you dont know what are you doing you can harm your computer probably.. If someone know something about changing ram timings please help :)

Edited by Equal1zer

I found a program called nTimings that you can change your gpu ram timings without flashing bios.. Its quite hard to use and if you dont know what are you doing you can harm your computer probably.. If someone know something about changing ram timings please help :)

Hmm interesting, ill give it a peak ! :) I just revamped my OS to win7 and ran a first benchmark. Score is almost identical, but i changed driver versions, also im utilizing extra 1GB of memory since its x64. There was only 10 point increase, but the drivers ran the test about 2 degrees cooler, which gives me an extra space to overclock with :P Here is a picture :unsure:

post-19481-124967280656_thumb.jpg

I wanted to post some new results and modify my origianl post due to inatallation of Windows 7. But was unable to do so as ImageShack has veen down for the last few hours .

Edited by ^nox

Just Sharing My Experience

Last nite i try to OC my Benq S41 (with 256mb GDDR3 ram) after seeing this forum which in turn encourage me to try OC my notebook.

Here's my result :

driver dox 182.05 (seems popular here)

Core/Shader : default 500/1000 oc -> 600/1200 (linked)

3dmark06 : before 3166 after 3633

GPU temp tested with HWmonitor idle 56-60c, full load max 82c

Tested by looping 3dmark06 3 times

Playing NFS Carbon, fps 18-20, oc -> 24-29

Playing Fallout 3, fps 22-25, oc -> 28-35

temp stable around 78-80c when gaming

what about u guys, am i doing the right thing?

(sorry for my bad english, im from indonesia)

Just Sharing My Experience

Last nite i try to OC my Benq S41 (with 256mb GDDR3 ram) after seeing this forum which in turn encourage me to try OC my notebook.

Here's my result :

driver dox 182.05 (seems popular here)

Core/Shader : default 500/1000 oc -> 600/1200 (linked)

3dmark06 : before 3166 after 3633

GPU temp tested with HWmonitor idle 56-60c, full load max 82c

Tested by looping 3dmark06 3 times

Playing NFS Carbon, fps 18-20, oc -> 24-29

Playing Fallout 3, fps 22-25, oc -> 28-35

temp stable around 78-80c when gaming

what about u guys, am i doing the right thing?

(sorry for my bad english, im from indonesia)

Looks great, thanks for the reply adn results! DDR3 Cards usually have much more space to overclock with. as long as you stay under 88 celsius udner full load, you are ok. So keep on tweaking ! :)

Looks great, thanks for the reply adn results! DDR3 Cards usually have much more space to overclock with. as long as you stay under 88 celsius udner full load, you are ok. So keep on tweaking ! :)

thx nox,last nite i try to tweak a bit, core/shader/mem up to 620/1220/720 and 3dmark06 score up to 3726.

In game like mercenaries 2 and nfs carbon just squeeze a little more fps, about 2-3 fps more.

but one thing im not sure, even if im upping the OC value, gpu temp seems not change at all just like before i did OCed my GPU. Maybe just about 2-3c hotter.

btw i check the temp using HWmonitor ver 1.14.

did HWmonitor wrong? or should i use another software temp monitor?

thx nox,last nite i try to tweak a bit, core/shader/mem up to 620/1220/720 and 3dmark06 score up to 3726.

In game like mercenaries 2 and nfs carbon just squeeze a little more fps, about 2-3 fps more.

but one thing im not sure, even if im upping the OC value, gpu temp seems not change at all just like before i did OCed my GPU. Maybe just about 2-3c hotter.

btw i check the temp using HWmonitor ver 1.14.

did HWmonitor wrong? or should i use another software temp monitor?

hey payne, you might be a lucky one, back in 07 / 08 nvidia came out with a whole bunch of defective chips in the 8xxx series. Mostly 8600M GT and GS cards were reported to overheat and literally burn leaving you with bunch of vertical lines all over your screen. Dell and Mac has recalled all the faulty chips, HP never did :) So you might have gotten the modified chip that runs cooler :) I suggest HWmonitor and monitoring in rivatuner should show you your actuall temps "If you dont know how to monitor in ricatuner, just click on customize the first one next to your gpu specifics and click on hardware monitoring". This should show you your GPU temperature"

All the best

hey payne, you might be a lucky one, back in 07 / 08 nvidia came out with a whole bunch of defective chips in the 8xxx series. Mostly 8600M GT and GS cards were reported to overheat and literally burn leaving you with bunch of vertical lines all over your screen. Dell and Mac has recalled all the faulty chips, HP never did :) So you might have gotten the modified chip that runs cooler :) I suggest HWmonitor and monitoring in rivatuner should show you your actuall temps "If you dont know how to monitor in ricatuner, just click on customize the first one next to your gpu specifics and click on hardware monitoring". This should show you your GPU temperature"

All the best

yeah, before i dunno where to find GPU temp at rivatuner. maybe i try when i back home. Do u think i can squeeze more if i add a cooling pad? right now i just lifting my back notebook. btw im in an air condition room.

yeah, before i dunno where to find GPU temp at rivatuner. maybe i try when i back home. Do u think i can squeeze more if i add a cooling pad? right now i just lifting my back notebook. btw im in an air condition room.

if you get a good and expensive pad like zalman there will be a difference i think..

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

Thank you so much for all the sharing you have done, I really appreciate it. I am curious have any of you tried Crysis? Without over clocking the menus freeze my system for about 30 seconds (great in the middle of a fire fight). I am going to attempt some of your techniques and see if it helps, but I am hoping one of you is going to say you have and the game works fine now.

Thanks in advance,

DW2054

Here is my second try out for OC:

capture3l.th.jpg

Pumped up shaders to 1600Mhz, increasing core over 650Mhz causes driver instabilities. Still get OK temp limits - 81C @ single 3Dmark06 run and 86-87 in games.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all!

I had a problem with my laptop and i gave it to the technical service and they changed its VGA and Motherboard.. They put the same gpu, but with this card i can overclock more than before. :) i can push up the shader to 1600 and memory to 525 i dont know the limit of core cause i set it to 700 mhz and run ati tool's artifact test for a couple of min it was still running with no artifacts and no freezing.. im downloading 3dmark06 now and i will do some tests for exact limits

btw i know this topic is old but i wanna keep it alive. :)

i have 256 dd2 8600m gs. using bios overclocked 600/1200/520. Max <90 celcius. Till now i've played allt the 2009 games with min 20 fps on med/high. Meanwhile 191.07 has equal 3dmark score as dox 185.85 has.

please try to overclock with 650/1500/520.

Hey all!

I had a problem with my laptop and i gave it to the technical service and they changed its VGA and Motherboard.. They put the same gpu, but with this card i can overclock more than before. :) i can push up the shader to 1600 and memory to 525 i dont know the limit of core cause i set it to 700 mhz and run ati tool's artifact test for a couple of min it was still running with no artifacts and no freezing.. im downloading 3dmark06 now and i will do some tests for exact limits

btw i know this topic is old but i wanna keep it alive. :)

Cool cant wait to see some results. :P Ive been slacking a bit since win 7 came out :X So bare with me ...

Cool cant wait to see some results. :) Ive been slacking a bit since win 7 came out :X So bare with me ...

I have some exams on school i was studying for them sorry for late posting.

i couldnt run all the tests on 3dmark but its not a stability problem because i realized, if i raise clocks even 1 mhz it crashes on 3dmark.. I tried a few driver versions but the result is same.. In games i have the same problem but it crashes after 1 or 1.5 hours of gameplay.. i think im going to install win xp :)