LaptopVideo2Go Forums

NVIDIA Forceware 190.38 released

Galdere

Latest beta driver now available.

New in Release 190.38

* Adds support for OpenGL 3.1

* Adds support for CUDA 2.3 for improved performance in GPU Computing applications. See CUDA Zone for more details.

* Adds a new user-controlled power management setting for GeForce 9-series and later graphics cards. This option allows users to set a performance level for each DirectX or OpenGL application.

* Includes several new control panel features and numerous bug fixes. More information can be found in the release documentation.

Win7 & Vista x86

Win7 & Vista x64

WinXP x86

WinXP x64

Any vista x64 infs?

Aww Cmon... I am just about to go out of town for a week. Oh but wait the plane leaves tomorrow.. back to modding.

EDIT: Anyone check this out yet? "Adds a new user-controlled power management setting for GeForce 9-series and later graphics cards. This option allows users to set a performance level for each DirectX or OpenGL application."

And the modded INFs? :)
Any vista x64 infs?

Protip: If a driver has just been released that Pieter has not yet posted the modded INFs for, try using the latest ones closest to the version that was just posted.

In the case of this version (190.38) the closest version with Pieters modified INFs is 190.15.

Download the INF that you need for 190.15.

-If the version that shows up under Device Manager is important to you:

-Open the modded INF in a text editor and change "DriverVer = 06/08/2009, 8.15.11.9015" to "DriverVer = 07/14/2009, 8.15.11.9038" (Note: The date really isn't as important as the ver.)

Save and replace the one in the 190.38 folder with the modified INF. (Note: If there are any other INFs in the driver directory it is recommended to delete them.)

Or just be patient and wait a little while. Rumor is mobilenvidia/Pieter is not a machine and actually has a life. :)

Protip #2: The driver version identified under the general tab in device manager can sometimes be inaccurate. As you see from the information above that version info is taken from the INF when the driver is isntalled. To see the real versions of the actual drivers you have installed open Device Manager -> Properties for the device in question -> Driver Tab -> Driver Details. Here you can see the actual versions of the driver files installed identified in the file itself.

cool, something worthwhile to play with.

woo woo! how much longer do you have left on your vacation, ive been waiting ever so patiently for a new release :) haha

I'm glad I got a 9 series card. It was close for to get a 8 series card with a decent budget.

Guest joão

from what i've been reading i think that the abismal losses in fps is in fact the result from the new power management system and some ignorance from some users

I have the power management feature with my 8800M GTX and this.

Having just read the Guru3D opinions, there is no consensus against this at all.

Guest joão

i think in the new power management there is 2 options for 3d applications, adaptive and max performance so in adaptive the clocks from the gpu will adapte to the application needs so i presume that this is the "issue" and why the fps drops so much

186.24 (186.08.inf)

- Fuel

Frames: 240 - Time: 9204ms - Avg: 26.076 - Min: 25 - Max: 27

idle 61°

190.38 (190.15.inf)

- Fuel

Frames: 219 - Time: 8613ms - Avg: 25.427 - Min: 24 - Max: 27

idle 68°

power management doesn't work with the 8600m gs.

Pieter is away for the weekend. Files are up and posts are made and he will have the INF ready sometime on Monday.

Played with the drivers.

Nothing amazing with the new powermanagement feature.

Some extreme drops in FPS playing on battery.

Why not mod the actual INFs this driver has instead of using other INF? Maybe this is the culprit for the power management issue & other stuff.

thats not how it works I'm afraid,

it doesnt really matter what inf you use, whether its the one in this driver, or using pieters.

For the record I simply added the device id into the inf...

so Dox ... excuse me if I'm questioning this to you ... but ... what's the best driver 4 now? Because I recently found many of them! :)

The new all singing WHQL 186.10 seems worth trying.