LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Alienware M9700 - Overheating or Diriver issue, HELP you opinion please!

Mariusz803

Hey guys, New to the forms, think this is all the info:

Specs:

Alienware M9750

GPU: 2.1

RAM: 2gb

GC: nVidia go 7950 GTX SLI

Bios: will post soon

Here is my quick question for ya, i see DASHED, DOTTED, COLORED lines all over my: BIO, boot screen, loading screen, and desktop.

I've loaded Alienware driver only, i have yet to try the ones from this site as i've just been reading. ALSO right before this problem occurred my games started to run slow AND i enabled SLI (i had it turned off for a few months because of running multiple monitors).

Can you just give me an idea of whether or not i should start fiddling with the DRIVERS on this site or take this guy in to the menders.

If a driver update is needed, could you direct me to where on this site it may be found, i'm having troubble knowing which x17, or x18 etc to get.

WARRENTY EXPIRED - because live is never 'that' easy

Cheers.

Edited by Mariusz803

sorry to bring bad news, but it seems your card got fried...

and i think drivers would not make any difference. you can try the "oven" method if you have nothing to lose.

I'm beginning to fear you are right.

HOWEVER i did have this issue before (though not so severe) and it was resolved by chatting with Alienware techs over the phone who directed me to install certain drivers in a certain order... don't ask, it obviously didn't work.

I'm taking it in today to get a second opinion at a local shop. I wonder what would cause it to over heat? I mean com'n we paid how much for this system ?!

Thx for the reply.

I wonder what would cause it to over heat?

dust building up in the system(reduces airflow,blocking the fans etc)...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, New to the forms, think this is all the info:

Specs:

Alienware M9750

, SP2

GPU: 2.1

RAM: 2gb

GC: nVidia go 7950 GTX SLI

Here is my quick question for ya, i see DASHED, DOTTED, COLORED lines all over my: BIO, boot screen, loading screen, and desktop.

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem with the same Alienware M9750 laptop :)

Have you been able to fix this problem or determine what caused it?

Mike

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem with the same Alienware M9750 laptop :)

Have you been able to fix this problem or determine what caused it?

Mike

Sorry mate, the only way for me to have this fixed is to have it shipped out back to Alienware.

Here is the cost of that:

- $200, for shipping & labour

- $600-$800 for new gpu

So instead of wasting my money on a poor system like this one (which may break down the road even if fixed now) i've build a new machine - desktop myself.

This new system, which lets be fair creams my Alienware, ran me $2000.00 Now i wont have to open it up to upgrade for some 4-5 years.

Hey if you have any success please let me know, but no store retailer i've visited in Canada is able to order a mobile GPU for notebooks.

I still have my system, might sell it for parts to see if i can get any return on it.

Good luck mate, sorry to hear i'm not the only one.