LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Weird refresh rate problem on Win 7 with 179.xx drivers

Guest Raptor10439

Guest Raptor10439

My computer is having a weird refresh rate problem with several games if they are in full screen (the most noticable is in the Quake port, Dark Places).

Hard to describe so I'll show you

New drivers fix the refresh rate but with those drivers, I have issues with my colors. Dark grays will be a field of solid dark gray with light gray dots all over it. The only drivers I have that work without the dots are the 179.xx Win 7 64 bit notebook drivers. I never had the problem with the refresh rate before but I did with the dots on the newer drivers. This was before I did a reformat and a new install of Win 7. I don't know what changed.

This issue only happens in games without vsync.

If someone could help me fix this issue or the issue with colors not showing up as solid colors (preferably this so I can upgrade) I would really appreciate it.

I realise I forgot to post some info about my computer and I can't edit my original post. :)

My computer is a Dell XPS M1530. Video card is Geforce 8600M GT 256mb. I am also running Win 7 64bit. I can't think of anything else that should be needed to help with my issue. Thanks.

Turn on Vsync in the driver settings to avoid getting screen tearing.

Doesn't help. I've tried turning it on for the games and it still tears VERY badly. I've even tried changing the global settings.

[edit]I'm now running the 190.xx drivers with a modified INF and this seems to work fine (no dots and no refresh rate issues. I do not, however, want to continue using these as I fear I may over heat my card. Fixing the dots on the 186.xx drivers would be ideal as I don't trust my current drivers 100%.

Edited by Raptor10439

Are you getting high temps with the newer drivers that are giving you reason for concern?

Not yet. I haven't done too much gaming. Played some Penumbra Overture but that game isn't too highly demanding.

So then why do you say you don't trust the drivers?

My main concern is that the drivers have not been designed for my card. I still have yet to do any serious gaming on it so I can not say if it's going to heat up or not. I'd would much rather just play it safe and use the drivers that has been properly modified for my card but only if I can have them working 100%.

Using drivers with the modded inf are by no means less safe than those that have been released by your manufacturer. I don't think there is any reason to be concerned when using them. If you really feel unsafe however, then you can monitor your temps to ensure they are not exceeding normal thresholds.

I am always monitoring my temp. Well, I guess I'll just stick with the 190.xx drivers until Nvidia releases updated drivers. Thanks.