LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Strange performance problem

RuLeRiZ

Hi everyone,

I own a quite old Dell XPS m1530, which is still useful to me.

actually, I started having this problem when I moved from Windows Vista x86 to 7 x64. I experience "wavy" performance,for about 3 minutes gaming I have excellent performance, later it decreases significantly, also for about 3 minutes. Later it comes back to normal. And this cycle repeats on and on.

I'm not sure if this is of moving to different operating system, I have recently had an overheating incident. After cleaning dust from inside my laptop I forgot to connect the cooler, and turned the pc on for a few minutes before I realise what I've done. The temp hit 100 C, put for a very short time, so I hope that the GPU remains undamaged.

I also notice the "wavyness" when benchmarking in 3dmark06, benchmark begins very smoothly, later the performance decreases, then rises again and so on. I get about 4300 instead of 4800, the score I had earlier in Vista.

I have tried many drivers, from official nVidia's 186.03 which I find incomplete, some variants from 190.xx series, DOX's optimised drivers. Also, the temperatures don't go up more than 85C. When I try to overclock a bit, the "good" part of performance becomes better and the "bad" decreases even more. I even turned off Powermizer with powermizer switch, this has maybe increased overall performance a little.

I googled a lot about this problem but found nothing yet.. Hope for some help here :)

Edited by RuLeRiZ

I am thinking about your motherboard's driver could be the problem, did you switch every driver in your laptop into windows 7?

Do you have the BIOS update NVIDIA mentions on their site for that model?

By saying motherboard driver you mean the chipset driver? If so, I installed Intel's 9.1.1.1015, but the installation process was rather rapid, so it is suspicious to me. The chipset is GM965, the driver appears to support it.

As for BIOS, I have the latest A12, but as far as I know this fixes the cooling thing.

In addition, when I try to overclock GPU or undervolt CPU I sometimes get hard shutdowns, so it means that something is really wrong with motherboard drivers?

Edited by RuLeRiZ

That should fix the cooling if you aren't overclocking.. Since there are some heat issues with that card, you really want to be careful.

My 1520 has an 8600 GT too, and I have only had a couple drivers that were really stable on it. Usually the NVIDIA notebook drivers were the only ones that worked about 100% of the time without random issues. I mostly just used 64 bit Vista on it, but I don't use that machine as much since I got my P-7805u. My 1520 currently has Win7 x64 RC on it with the newest NVIDIA notebook drivers, but I haven't done much gaming on it lately..

Earlier I had some similar problems with this machine, but it was all about cooling, when temperatures could reach 95 C or more. But I fixed all of that and now the roots of the problem seem to be different, as I don't face much overheating, as I mentioned before temps hardly reach 85 C or more under heavy load.

That is still pretty hot... My 9800GTS only gets to 71 C when I run a 3DMark06 test without my cooling pad, and I think my 8600 GT was around that temp too under a load.. If you had it too hot for too long, you may have damaged something on your graphics card.

If you have a backup from before 7, you may want to revert back to that to make sure you don't still have that problem.

Edited by Korn1699

Happens to thousands of 8600M GT users, even me. I got a replacement laptop, the were some major recalls on the graphics card.

Initially the 8400M (G92) and 8600M (G94) were designed to withstand slightly higher temperatures (80-95 C) so you could use cheaper less efficient internal cooling supplies. Trouble is most 15" laptops use a shared cooling supply with CPU. CPU + GPU heat is greater than 95C obviously if the card alone can get you to 90C. At about 100C (varies slightly per system) the downclocking of your GPU occurs from 8600M GT down from 600 MHz Core to 125 MHz (default for Powermizer level 1.) This is not a powermizer issue but a VBIOS controlled safety situation, with no way to disable it. The downclocking is long enough to reduce the Core temperature from causing permanent damage, this is why it is intermittent where everything runs fine, then you drop down to like 5 FPS for about 10 seconds then back up.

To prevent it and thus preventing damage, you MUST provide extra cooling to the card and CPU area.

This is to be expected over the life of all 8600M GT, the fact that you were migrating from WinVis to Win7, I believe, was just coincidence.

Look-up on a google search:

"8600M GT" +overheating

"8600M GT" +recall ->Asus G1S was my model that had a recall because of this card.

"G92" +failing

"G94" +failing

"G94" recall"

Edited by Cain

My friend's Mac has an 8600 GT card, and it died on him..at least once, if not twice.. I'm sure he wasn't overclocking it, although he may not have had extra cooling. I always have a cooling pad with mine unless I'm away from home because it doesn't fit in my laptop case..