LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer 7520G - 8600M GS replaced with ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650 - Freeze At Windows Boot Screen!

Guest valkyrie.missile

Guest valkyrie.missile

Hello Guys,

today I replaced my old (and lame) 8600M GS Up To 1280MB Turbo Cache Graphic Card with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 MXM II 256MB DDR3 witch i bought on this ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250454266392.

Laptop is an Acer 7520G so I followed this step by step instruction from your site http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/7520G.html.

But my Windows Vista won't start with the new card and freezes imidiatly when Windows trys to load. (Bios is displayed ok). No hard disc action and both the cpu and gpu just getting warmer and warmer when I wait. With the old card it runs as usual. Is the card broken or could the freeze be caused by something else? I'll be very thankful for any advice.

PS: Card seems to be a chinse product...this may explain the strange signature shown in the BIOS Screen which just contain random letters,numbers and symbols...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mutton

i have the same problem with different operating systems. vista 32bit, vista 64bit, ubuntu 8.04 and ubuntu 8.10 even with live-cd and when i want to reinstall vista. my radeon hd 3650 has 512mb and red pcb.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

HI ALL !!

I have Acer Aspire 5710G , C2D , ... etc and recently replaced my video card hd 2300 mob TO HD 3650 mobility GDDR3 256MB and my problem when I open my Bios (F2) I see the VGA BIOS VERSION : Nvidia G7BR28354 .But I dont have FLASH screen etc. I using Win Xp pro but working but not perfectly :)

Maybe thats the problam that I writen before !!

I Thing is f.... Funny !! What about whats the problem ?? Probebly I need to upgrade my bios ?? And what do u see is on your bios ???

Please someone help me!! Thank u soo much !!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

On my Acer Aspire 7520G instead of Nvidia GeForce 8600m GS i installed ATI Radeon HD 3650 256Mb DDR3.

But in bios I could see that i have only 0 Mb video memory and VGA bios version is a set of strange symbols.

Windows 7 loaded and drivers were installed but the videocard working worse than Nvidia.

Also have MCP temperature not less than 82 degree C.

What I should I do ?

thanks in advance for your comments

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

I changed to 7520g Acer laptop a broken Nvidia 8600m GS 512mb with Ati HD3650 ddr2 512Mb from ebay. I have same problem, in Bios screen it shows 0 Mb video memory, strange symbols in vbios type. and it wont start vista, not even Safe-mode, it halts and thats it. Also i Tried Knoppix-Linux Live-CD to run, but no success.. also halts on startup. I Can boot in Dos-mode from USB. I dumbed vbios from ati, and it shows Acer bios inside...

Any ideas whats wrong, why it shows only 0 Mega Bytes vram ?? i guess thats why it cant boot up...

is it Acer laptop Bios problem ?? maybe a new Ati HD3560 is defective ??

thanks, Liiffi

Hi all!

I changed to 7520g Acer laptop a broken Nvidia 8600m GS 512mb with Ati HD3650 ddr2 512Mb from ebay. I have same problem, in Bios screen it shows 0 Mb video memory, strange symbols in vbios type. and it wont start vista, not even Safe-mode, it halts and thats it. Also i Tried Knoppix-Linux Live-CD to run, but no success.. also halts on startup. I Can boot in Dos-mode from USB. I dumbed vbios from ati, and it shows Acer bios inside...

Any ideas whats wrong, why it shows only 0 Mega Bytes vram ?? i guess thats why it cant boot up...

is it Acer laptop Bios problem ?? maybe a new Ati HD3560 is defective ??

thanks, Liiffi

Yes, i managed to solve boot-up problem. i had in my laptop very early BIOS version, v1.08. Flashed with newer bios v1.11, and suprise, Windows Vista Boots !! Still Video Memory is 0 MB in Bios. but now its driver problem, so its time to hunt them down.... Gpu-z shows correct things, even no drivers installed. And Sensor shows 96-97C degrees :)

Yes, i managed to solve boot-up problem. i had in my laptop very early BIOS version, v1.08. Flashed with newer bios v1.11, and suprise, Windows Vista Boots !! Still Video Memory is 0 MB in Bios. but now its driver problem, so its time to hunt them down.... Gpu-z shows correct things, even no drivers installed. And Sensor shows 96-97C degrees :)

... which is way to high. Almost one hundred degrees Celcius on idle, are you kidding?

Make sure the heatsink makes proper contact with the chip before you operate the laptop any further.

... which is way to high. Almost one hundred degrees Celcius on idle, are you kidding?

Make sure the heatsink makes proper contact with the chip before you operate the laptop any further.

Yeah, i know there is some problem with heatsink. I didnt get that backplate off from broken Nvidia card, it was so firmly Glued. I have to solve that problem also how to get enough pressure against gpucore and heatsink.

• 4 months later...
Guest Vladimir

Hello, my 8600GS in my Aspire 7520g died, so I ordered a Ati HD3650 gddr3 256Mb from ebay. Has anyone succesfully installed that one on a 7520g? If yes, please post here, I'm getting a little nervous about compatibility now, seeing that much posts which report failed installation.

• 1 month later...
Guest acer

Hello, my 8600GS in my Aspire 7520g died, so I ordered a Ati HD3650 gddr3 256Mb from ebay. Has anyone succesfully installed that one on a 7520g? If yes, please post here, I'm getting a little nervous about compatibility now, seeing that much posts which report failed installation.

• 3 months later...

The 7520g has no MXM structure in the BIOS. Neither does the 5520g which uses the same motherboard.

You will have to ask a fellow named .Netroller3d who is very good at BIOS mods and parsing MXM structures.

FYI you can upgrade the motherboards in these laptops - as a matter of fact the 5710g uses the same layout. And so does the 5720g. All you have to do is buy new heatsinks and a CPU.

The chipset is Intel pm965 so any 800mhz FSB socket P core 2 duo will work - some of the best value are t8300, t6600... Anything really is probably an upgrade over the old AMD cpus.

Unfortunately the graphics heatsink is quite difficult to find, however the only difference is that the card is rotated 90 degrees so you could potentially use the old heatsink somehow. It just wouldn't cover the vRAM, which isn't necessarily bad.

And of course, I think this will resolve issues with the freezing after startup. Although I'm not 100%, I HAVE tested a 3650 which works fine. You do need a copper shim for the heatsink issue though.

There are a few versions of the 3650 - Some HP cards have no EEPROM at all, which means they wont function. You can tell, just look for yourself at different versions of the card and you'll notice a missing chip on some of them.

The ones that DO have an EEPROM - have a somewhat strange vBIOS. Actually I think this could have something to do with temps. I found a compatible vBIOS that I flashed to one of these cards, I will upload it at request.

The way you can tell the HP cards - they usually have a piece of black plastic stuck to the back with the backplate. I don't know what kind of screws are stock on these laptops, but be careful, normal backplates might crush some components on the HP cards.

Would anyone be up for a trade? I have a 5720g and I would much rather have a 5520g or 7520g. My reason is because I think it would fit an MXM type III card. Yep I'll worry about the BIOS later.

Preferably we would just trade motherboards and CPU heatsinks, although we could work out a CPU trade as well.