LaptopVideo2Go Forums

8700 or 8800

Guest demon

Guest demon

Hi, i have a wonderful M1730 and it runs great, bought it a year ago. In my order it came with 8800m GS video card and 32-bit Vista OS, well last week i contacted Dell and asked for the 64bit OS, 2 days later i recieve it, reformat and reinstall all my drivers that Dell sent me for the new OS. Well my question is that i can not find a driver for my 8800m GS video card for 64bit, before installing the recommended driver for my video card, my computer tells me i have 8800m GS but after installing the driver, it tells me i have a 8700m GS video card. And my Frame Rates have dropped and with lower settings. For Example playing WoW my framerates with 32-bit were running around 60fps and now running at 20fps or lower depending whats going on, on the screen. If this doesn't get resolved, i guess ill go back to my 32-bit or XP... what is your advice?

I just realized that i posted in the wrong forum, but instead of posting 2 of the same questions in 2 different forums, ill keep it here. But after looking a bit that its not my video card driver, but still curious why its saying my card is 8700m GT vs what is actually in my system the 8800m GS. Other than that, is it the OS 64-bit Vista lowering my Frame Rate? Thnx for the help

The biggest effect comes from the driver - what is your version? The latest driver is http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/190series/19040_win7x64.exe and you need the modified inf, too.

The Dell specific inf, NVDM.inf has no 8800M GS lines. Perhaps Dell's proprietary drivers have those lines.

(Btw, found this comment: 8800M GS is just the old working name of the 8700M GT before NVIDIA realized that giving the 8800 label to a card with a 128-bit memory bus would be retarded)

hey thnx Zipper on the quick reply, when i get home i will install this but what is the modified INF file, im relatively new to this stuff. so lamince term would help alot :) and im not sure what version i have, but is 64bit vista all that much better than 32bit? or is it just user preference and what would pull out better fps?

Look here, it's next to the driver link:

Read the FAQ section about infs and other stuff. The biggest difference of 64bit is the possibility to use full 4GB of memory, the speed difference isn't too eminent.