LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Bios 7-30-09 for 8700 GT SLI -9800M GTX

4speed

Dell just released 7-30-09 a bios update for a few of their video cards 8700 GT SLI- 9800M GTX and a few more. I installed the 8700 no problems-

Fixes and Enhancements- Corrects Yellow Tint Issue

Sorry if already posted

Guest Vagrant Guest

+99999

this is the latest scandal... the installation of the 186.24 performance driver from DELL has resulted in a yellow tint on my samsung branded lcd screen on the M1730 which does not appear on an external display...

DELL hasn't uploaded the 8800m gtx sli BIOS fix and I guess this is because users of the update for the other models like the 8700M have reported large temperature increases in the GPU afterwards (see thread in notebookreview.com), which if repeated on this GPU would cause the 8800M gtx to burn out.

I want a update from DELL for the 8800M GTX SLI and one that won't cause overheating like the others.

I ran the bios fix for the 8700m on the XPS1730 and now my whole machine loses about .1 sec every 2-3 seconds.

All videos run jerky and I can no longer use skype or other real time applications because it has totally stuffed up my computer

In 24hrs my computer clock ended up being 2hrs behind. I even ran an entire vista rollback to make sure it was only the bios change and it still had the same issue.

Thanks Dell for destroying my laptop!!!

Guest Cueball

I ran the bios fix for the 8700m on the XPS1730 and now my whole machine loses about .1 sec every 2-3 seconds.

All videos run jerky and I can no longer use skype or other real time applications because it has totally stuffed up my computer

In 24hrs my computer clock ended up being 2hrs behind. I even ran an entire vista rollback to make sure it was only the bios change and it still had the same issue.

Thanks Dell for destroying my laptop!!!

Ever since this update, my GPU temps are up almost 10 degrees C.... What the hell??

Hmmm I just changed all my power plugs (put in a belkin power board) and now everything seems to be back to normal...

I think it must've been the computer trying to draw way more power through my previous cheap power adapter.

All back to normal... but still running pretty hot too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ricardo

Hmmm I just changed all my power plugs (put in a belkin power board) and now everything seems to be back to normal...

I think it must've been the computer trying to draw way more power through my previous cheap power adapter.

All back to normal... but still running pretty hot too.

I updated my Bios 8700GT sli on an XPS M17230 and am now missing the second video card so no SLI for me. Gotta love Dell.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone willing to provide the original "faulty" rom with the new updated rom? If so, I can try to see what's changed.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Tristamus

Hey guys!....

I have a 9800M GT SLI in my XPS here, and am wondiering if I need the BIOS update as well? I recently installed it myself, replacing my 8700M GT SLI setup.

What the heck does the new BIOS do for my 9800M GT SLI anyway? Should I do it or not? It seems like everyone here is hating on it so I'm not inclined to install it...unless for a good reason?

• 9 months later...
Guest Joakim

What did you say to them? I have had my M1730 parts replaced 6 times by now. The GPU, Main board, keyboard, speakers, the lot. I have had an upgrade from the 8800GTX to the 9800GT though. Would be nice to get the computer replaced to Alienware instead!

• 5 months later...