LaptopVideo2Go Forums

First Review: Seagate Momentus 640GB 2.5″ Hard Drive

mobilenvidia

Ah, a drive we can all use, this is a 9.5mm puppy :)

Also saw this available in NZ but not retail yet, only on the Seagate website in a USB enclosure.

With drive platters now at 320GB or greater, it seems only a matter of time before there is a two-platter 640GB notebook hard drive. Indeed, Seagate’s Momentus 5400.7 640GB (ST9640322AS) is the first such drive. Seagate have not announced this drive, but it will be arriving soon. In the meantime, let’s take an exclusive look at the world’s first 640GB notebook hard drive.

Western Digital recently announced 750GB and 1TB 2.5” “notebook” hard drives. The problem is that the drives are 12.5mm height, which is too big to fit in all but a few large notebooks. 500GB notebook drives are available from most manufacturers, but no company is selling a standard 9.5mm height 2.5” drive with capacity beyond that. But Seagate will be very soon. Let’s take a look at the drive…

For the full review head on over here

The speed on that is very similar or the same as my 5400 RPM seagate 500 GB 2.5 inch drive.

There really isn't any extra performance with the increased density.

I have a benchmark stored on the drive that I'll post up when I boot the other pc up again.