LaptopVideo2Go Forums

VAIO FZ340 8400M GT Windows 7 - Howto?

jazminstewart

Hi,

I've got a used VAIO VGN-FZ340E, that includes a Geforce 8400M GT with 256MB of RAM.

Installed Windows 7 and downloaded the WHQL drivers from nVidia for mobile.

When searching it gives me the 186.03_notebook_win7_64bit_international_whql.exe

That driver does not install in that computer. It doesn't say it's not suited but that I have to download the driver from the manufacturer.

Tried 190.38_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe with no luck.

Added to both the INF from this page and no luck also.

Then I've decided to modify the 186.03 INFs myself. Found many of them, but touched just a few, adding

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D

NVIDIA_DEV.0426.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT"

to many of the files, not random but I saw that there are many files and different strings for the same card/model on different files.

It installed. It's working. But I don't know if I did the right thing or not.

Can anyone on the forum point me WHICH files should I touch.

I get the same nVidia control panel and options I get on a Desktop, is that OK or I should see more power options and other stuff? Considering that, Can I install the 190.38 version instead?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am facing the same problem with the vaio FZ340E Nvidia driver. can you please tell which inf files you edited to get it working????

Hi,

I've got a used VAIO VGN-FZ340E, that includes a Geforce 8400M GT with 256MB of RAM.

Installed Windows 7 and downloaded the WHQL drivers from nVidia for mobile.

When searching it gives me the 186.03_notebook_win7_64bit_international_whql.exe

That driver does not install in that computer. It doesn't say it's not suited but that I have to download the driver from the manufacturer.

Tried 190.38_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql.exe with no luck.

Added to both the INF from this page and no luck also.

Then I've decided to modify the 186.03 INFs myself. Found many of them, but touched just a few, adding

to many of the files, not random but I saw that there are many files and different strings for the same card/model on different files.

It installed. It's working. But I don't know if I did the right thing or not.

Can anyone on the forum point me WHICH files should I touch.

I get the same nVidia control panel and options I get on a Desktop, is that OK or I should see more power options and other stuff? Considering that, Can I install the 190.38 version instead?

Thanks.

Jo Jo Jo.

I had to do a text search inside the tens of files.

Why don't you mail me at myusernameinthisforum at usa.com, and I'll send you a zip file with all the INFs (modified and not modified) and you save them over the 186.03 uncompressed driver folder and try to manually install.

I'm really concerned that nobody answered this topic... I guess I'm some kind of newbie here.

Hi,

I am facing the same problem with the vaio FZ340E Nvidia driver. can you please tell which inf files you edited to get it working????

• 2 months later...

I'm getting the same problem on my VGN-FZ260E with Win 7 x64 (with geforce 8400m gt gpu). This must be a proprietary right Sony has exercised--to be the sole distributor of driver updates thru their esupport site. I don't know any other way of explaining it. Anyway, I'm going to email you and see if you can point me in the same direction, as well.

Thanks,

Casey

I have the same issue with the exact same computer as the OP.

I installed Win7 x64 first, and your "trick" worked, but then I deleted x64 and installed x86, and edited the same files for the 32 bit driver and it doesn't work. Do I need another string?

Where did you get the two strings needed for the 64 bit driver INFs?

Thanks in advance!

I have the same issue with the exact same computer as the OP.

I installed Win7 x64 first, and your "trick" worked, but then I deleted x64 and installed x86, and edited the same files for the 32 bit driver and it doesn't work. Do I need another string?

Where did you get the two strings needed for the 64 bit driver INFs?

Thanks in advance!

Go to the Device Manager, get to the Display Adapter, right-click, select Properties

Go to the Details tab, Expand the list and select "Hardware Ids" there they are

I have the same problem with the windows7 ultimate version, but i am not sure how to modify said INF files, this is my first time trying to do this, any help would be appreciated.

The driver ID's are as follows..i think

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&CC_0300

where should i replace said strings?

I have the same problem with the windows7 ultimate version, but i am not sure how to modify said INF files, this is my first time trying to do this, any help would be appreciated.

The driver ID's are as follows..i think

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_9005104D

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&CC_0300

where should i replace said strings?

You have to open "nvdm.inf" you go to the bottom and you will find something like:

NVIDIA_DEV.0426.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS"

NVIDIA_DEV.0427.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS"

So you know that your card is PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426 (look at 426)

You change the line to look like:

And then you go up until you find:

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0]

%NVIDIA_DEV.0425.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_02751028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_xxxxxxxx

%NVIDIA_DEV.0427.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0427&SUBSYS_01F11028

And you change the xxxxxxxx in the middle line to look like your card. That will be:

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.0] (6.0 = Vista)

%NVIDIA_DEV.0425.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0425&SUBSYS_02751028

%NVIDIA_DEV.0427.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0427&SUBSYS_01F11028

That section ends and another that looks just like that begins, so you change that one too.

This other section is

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.1] (6.1 = Win7)

That's it.

Maybe you need to change some other files. I don't know. I've replaced in more the first time, with 186.03 but then with the newer driver I didn't.

nVidia Physix installs but I don't get it on the nVidia Control Panel, and I don't know if other "services" are there or not.

• 1 month later...

I've now also installed the 195.62 (non-notebook) using a similar mod to the Inf... it's even easier since you don't have to paste the WHOLE ID, just part of it

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426

instead of

%NVIDIA_DEV.0426.01% = Section002, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426&SUBSYS_xxxxxxxx

I don't know which Power Saving does it miss (or if it doesn't miss any Power Saving features).

It will install PhysX but will not run, since sadly 8400 doesn't support it.

Maybe someone with knowledge can tweak a BIOS to enable it if the chip supports that and is BIOS-crippled.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, alot of information - seems i am having the same problem - I just upgraded to windows 7 - everything installed correctly- however my video card, the nvidia 8400M GT - is not recognized in device manager - when i try to use a video driver from nvidia (also tried the one from here) it goes through the motions up too the point where it begins the install, it lists the error:

The nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit.

It seems a few others have encountered this - is anyone able to email me which driver they tweaked to work?

email is: computergeek13@*****.com (the *'s are the mass mail account google has made famous)

thanks inadvance - im not sure i can edit my own INF files -

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've had a similar problem with my fz21M. It came with vista 32, and i installed windows 7 64bit.~The graphic got "generic vga adapter".

Tried to get the driver from Nvidia, but as already stated here.. the nvidia drivers to vaio's are only distributed by sony.

Then i got into one page from sony support that stated:

«if your VAIO came with Windows VISTA 32-bit Edition

and you installed Windows 7 64-bit Edition:

most Originally installed / Updated drivers are 32-bit drivers

specific 64 bit drivers can be found here: http://support.vaio.sony.eu/os/vista/64bit/ »

Then i looked and found 2 zip files for my laptop model, the 1st one didnt work but the second did:

EP0000146244.zip

I hope it helps.. im not sure if this problem is the same that ppl were discussing about.

NP

• 11 months later...
Guest Misery

Hi,

I've had a similar problem with my fz21M. It came with vista 32, and i installed windows 7 64bit.~The graphic got "generic vga adapter".

Tried to get the driver from Nvidia, but as already stated here.. the nvidia drivers to vaio's are only distributed by sony.

Then i got into one page from sony support that stated:

«if your VAIO came with Windows VISTA 32-bit Edition

and you installed Windows 7 64-bit Edition:

most Originally installed / Updated drivers are 32-bit drivers

specific 64 bit drivers can be found here: http://support.vaio.sony.eu/os/vista/64bit/ »

Then i looked and found 2 zip files for my laptop model, the 1st one didnt work but the second did:

EP0000146244.zip

I hope it helps.. im not sure if this problem is the same that ppl were discussing about.

NP

Guest Protonius

Nuno --

Thanks for the tip about "http://support.vaio....os/vista/64bit/" . I went there, sought out a model-name that was ALMOST my model-name (which was not here), downloaded the same file that you'd suggested, had my Device Manager update my display-driver to that one -- and IT WORKED! And this was after my having spent countless HOURS on tne net, seeking & downloading and trying -- WITHOUT SUCCESS -- to install Nvidia drivers that probably SHOULD have worked but DIDN'T.

The official SONY site (not the URL you'd suggested) was also of ZERO help.

So thanks again for the tip!