LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dvi > Hdmi not working

p512st

Hello Laptopvideo2Go,

As the Title suggests I have a problem with connecting my laptop to my hdtv, this worked fine until a few weeks ago.

Then it stopped working without a clear reason.

I've tried about everything and I'm really out of ideas.

-I've tried 5 different drivers (169.67, 179.69, 186.05 and 2 acer drivers)

-I changed the OS from vista 64 bit > vista 32 bit > Xp 32 bit

-I replaced the Gpu 8600m gt > 8600m gs

-I reflashed my BIOS

Every normal DVI or VGA screen I connect works immediately, and I'm sure the cable and tv are working fine.

Laptop Specs:

Acer Aspire 5520g

AMD Tl-64 2.2 Ghz

8600m GT (GS) 512Mb DDR2

4 Gb DDR2 Ram

Blu ray drive

The Tv's I've tried this on are from Sony Bravia and Philips, both Full HD

The cable is a dual link DVI to HDMI.

I really hope someone can help me.

Thanks,

Stijn Timmerman

Hello Laptopvideo2Go,

The only reason why it wouldn't work if it works with another screen I can think of is that you chose a resolution for the DVI port that isn't compatible with the TV set or the HDMI standard.

If your TV is Full HD, you should choose a 1920x1080 resolution at 60Hz.

Maybe your cable isn't good enough to handle this resolution without any signal loss (-> black screen) so you could also try a lower res like 1280x720 and if it works then try a shorter cable or a higher quality one.

Well since you tried a lot of solutions I guess that's probably not the cause of your problem...

Be careful when you change your mobile graphics card, these things should be handled with care and thermal paste should always be applied.

The only reason why it wouldn't work if it works with another screen I can think of is that you chose a resolution for the DVI port that isn't compatible with the TV set or the HDMI standard.

If your TV is Full HD, you should choose a 1920x1080 resolution at 60Hz.

Maybe your cable isn't good enough to handle this resolution without any signal loss (-> black screen) so you could also try a lower res like 1280x720 and if it works then try a shorter cable or a higher quality one.

Well since you tried a lot of solutions I guess that's probably not the cause of your problem...

Be careful when you change your mobile graphics card, these things should be handled with care and thermal paste should always be applied.

Thanks for the fast reply,

the problem is not about resolution because the tv is simply not detected by the laptop.

I'm sure both the tv, the cable and the laptop can handle 1080p 60Hz because I've used it before.

Have you tried that cable and TV with another laptop to rule it out 100%?

Have you tried that cable and TV with another laptop to rule it out 100%?

Yes, I've tried it with an Acer Aspire 5920g and with another desktop pc.

I get a beautiful 1080p picture

So you said you tried other HDMI devices and they worked on that TV, new graphics cards, new drivers, fresh OS installs...

My guess is maybe the connector on the laptop's motherboard went bad (or the motherboard went bad). The laptop's GPU doesn't connect directly to a port usually. (usually runs through the mobo first)

So either you need to re-solder the HDMI port (I would try that first) or you need to get a new motherboard.

A bad port still doesn't explain how the laptop can see a DVI monitor hooked up but not that particular TV... :)

Is it a cable with DVI -> HDMI or a HDMI cable with a DVI -> HDMI converter at the computer's end? If so, maybe the cable is fine but the converter went bad.

So you said you tried other HDMI devices and they worked on that TV, new graphics cards, new drivers, fresh OS installs...

My guess is maybe the connector on the laptop's motherboard went bad (or the motherboard went bad). The laptop's GPU doesn't connect directly to a port usually. (usually runs through the mobo first)

So either you need to re-solder the HDMI port (I would try that first) or you need to get a new motherboard.

A bad port still doesn't explain how the laptop can see a DVI monitor hooked up but not that particular TV... :)

The Dvi port is indeed on the mobo itself, i'll check the connections.

The displays i've tested were all single link dvi displays, maybe there is something wrong with the middle 6 connectors.

Thanks for the help, i'll try it immediately

And it's an Dvi to Hdmi cable no converter pieces are used

Thanks

The Dvi port is indeed on the mobo itself, i'll check the connections.

The displays i've tested were all single link dvi displays, maybe there is something wrong with the middle 6 connectors.

Thanks for the help, i'll try it immediately

And it's an Dvi to Hdmi cable no converter pieces are used

Thanks

Unfortunately the DVI is absolutely unreachable without completely breaking the laptop.

So it's definitely not going to get solved this way.

How would the mobo get broken anyway? (it's not like I drop my laptop a lot or stuff things in the dvi port)

There could be a faulty design or power surge somewhere and some caps/resistors could blow or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update: I got the tv working again, but at a max resolution of 1024x768.

I also changed the OS to Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

So my problem is not hardware, not software and not the cable :)

Any suggestions would be very welcome

Thanks,

Stijn