LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Staying Clocked High When at the Desktop 8700M GT - XPS M1730

Guest Deathtech

Guest Deathtech

Hello all,

I am using Win7 RC, With a Dell XPS M1730 With Dual 8700 M GT Cards. ( I know its not the greatest, but they run quite well ). For some reason in Windows 7 If i do not have SLi Enabled, One Card underclocks, the other stays at full clock speed. I would like for the cards to underclock themselves, and oddly enough when i first install certain drivers, they appear to. I have tried a few drivers in the 19x Series (40 + 53 i think) , 185.65, 186.03, and the 186.24 direct from my manufacturer.

My fear is that with them at this clock speed, it is causing unnecessary heat and wear and tear on the chipset itself. I have seen where people have had issues OVERclocking their GPU's, and also with the cards randomly underclocking, but mine appear to be stuck in game mode !

Has anyone else experienced an issue like this or something similar ? If so, May i ask what you did to fix it ?

I Apologize if this is a double post question, i did search the forums and it was littered with the aforementioned underclock issue fix, but nothing like in what i am experiencing.

Guest Vagrant Guest

The down clocking is related to what is coded in your BIOS and whether or not it happens depends on your driver...I didn't get an official driver which supported downclocking until a year after buying the system...so both of cards were clocked at full speed all the time for a year!

today a lot of drivers don't downclock properly but I think the 185.81 does...186.03 shouldn't work for you since it doesn't work for my 8800m gtx and NVIDIA doesn't recommend it for Dell's system.

I know that with this system if hiberate and resume, the system won't downlock until you restart windows.

Guest Deathtech

The down clocking is related to what is coded in your BIOS and whether or not it happens depends on your driver...I didn't get an official driver which supported downclocking until a year after buying the system...so both of cards were clocked at full speed all the time for a year!

today a lot of drivers don't downclock properly but I think the 185.81 does...186.03 shouldn't work for you since it doesn't work for my 8800m gtx and NVIDIA doesn't recommend it for Dell's system.

I know that with this system if hiberate and resume, the system won't downlock until you restart windows.

Awesome, Thanks for the Heads up, Thats one driver i didnt give a go! I got the Nvidia "Performance" Driver direct from dell, thinking it would do it if any of them would. Once i get home , i will give 185.81 a shot !