LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Thermaltake Massive 23 ST Laptop Cooler Review

mobilenvidia

230mm fan that can shift a lot of air and quietly.

Ever since my laptop froze up the second I was actually about to beat Crysis Warhead, I retired the notion of being able to take my games with me because of all of the overheating problems I had run into. Well, the time came that I started getting a couple of promising laptop coolers to help cool that laptop down during gaming and most helped but didn't ultimately solve the problem, mostly due to limited airflow from the smaller fans. This was the case until I received a promising cooler from Thermaltake that might actually let me game on the go.

tt_23st.jpg

For the comprehensive review of this beast, headon over to HiTechLegion

Guest Synergy6

I don't quite follow the review. 'Temp 1' shows the laptop hitting 63 degrees when loaded without the cooler, and 'Temp 3' shows a fall to 40 degrees with the cooler added and turned on. However, 'Temp 2' appears to show that, when the cooler is turned off, the load temperature is 42 degrees. In other words, this $40 product is lowering temps a whole two degrees below the $1 solution of setting the laptop on some halved tennis balls for better airflow. Is there something obvious I'm missing here?

Sure if you want to carry those around, not to mention this thing would provide more structural support. But yeah, those figures make it look like a fanless model would have been just as effective.

I must agree $40 to lower the temp by 3 degrees is not good performance really, when anything used to raise the notebook a little will make a much bigger difference and cost nothing.

The performance of the Massive 23 ST cooler was undeniable

I mean... WTF?

Was that a paid-review or what?

I hope it's just a glitch in temp. testing

Edited by dark_skeleton

an antec notebook cooler 200 is much better :)

Guest ShnikeJSB

I have an NZXT Cryo LX -- THE most expensive laptop cooler I've seen. I also dug up a 12v power adapter to run it at a nice, fast, loud speed (LOL). It has 3x120mm fans, is constructed in pure quality, and cools my laptop on average 7C BETTER under load than just lifting the back of the laptop off the desk! It's an insane cooler!!! Well worth it, IMHO. Then again, I got it for like ~$50 from eBay new with Bing CashBack last year. Only thing I hate about it besides it's massive size and weight, is the edges of the aluminum are SHARP as HELL, and have ripped through the fabric in my laptop bag, scratched up my RatPadz mousepad, and drawn blood more often than I'd care to admit... :)

my antec notebook cooler 200 lowers 9~11 celcius on load (with overclocks)

1x 200mm fan

my antec notebook cooler 200 lowers 9~11 celcius on load (with overclocks)

1x 200mm fan

I bought only the fan to cool my Satellite PVR, awesome fan, quiet and blows heaps of air.