LaptopVideo2Go Forums

CUDA doesn't work on GeForce 9600M GT

Martin Marinov

That's so strange and unfair simultaneously. To have CUDA enabled GPU but not being able to use it because of some software limitations. The official drivers for 9600M GT from NVIDIA doesn't work on my MSI GX620. They have to be modified by MSI first and uploaded to the MSI's website. Current MSI driver version is 176.88... So I was forced to download the modified drivers from here. I succeeded installing the latest driver 190.62 which, according to my calculations, gave me a boost of performance around 2% on PC Wizard 2009 Video Benchmark. However, PhysX, NVIDIA stereo vision and CUDA didn't work. When I tried installing CUDA from here it just says "No supported driver found" - the same thing as when I tried installing the unmodified 190.62. PhysX also doesn't work on 190.62 - the PhysX screensaver from NVIDIA crashes and opens my browser to the NVIDIA driver download page. Actually I was able to run this screensaver in software mode with the MSI 176.88 drivers.

I want CUDA :) Is there anyway to - I don't know - modify the inf in the CUDA driver to install? Do you think it will run?

My GeForce 9600M GT's hardware ID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0649&SUBSYS_72201462

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Martin Marinov

Did you try the most current notebook drivers from NVIDIA (186.81)? Those should support CUDA 2.2.

Did you try the most current notebook drivers from NVIDIA (186.81)? Those should support CUDA 2.2.

Hm... When I typed the DEV_ID and SUBSYS in the driver search engine yesterday the latest driver was 190.6 and I installed it. Now it's 185.81. Maybe yesterday I installed the wrong drivers... I will try these now and see if CUDA works. Fingers crossed...

Edited by Martin Marinov

A lot of the drivers on here are beta notebook or released or beta desktop drivers with modified inf files so that they can be installed. The one on NVIDIA's site is the newest driver they have out for their cards on most laptops, although sometimes a company may have some newer version for some specific models. I'd suggest trying those. They used to not release notebook drivers on their site, so you had to either rely on the notebook manufacturer's drivers or modify the inf file from desktop drivers to make them work.

Ooooh I was able to run both PhysX and CUDA! Thank you very much for the support!

Can someone make a modified inf file for my HARDWARE ID for the 186.81 driver? (I installed 178.08 to run CUDA 2.0)

Edited by Martin Marinov

The standard modded inf for 186.81 includes your card.