LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nvidia geforce 7150m/630m video card.

simplistic

Hey everyone. :)

This site was recommended to me. It was spoken very highly of! I hope someone may be willing to hear me out, and point me in the right direction. I read the faq's and recommended threads and posts, however Im still confused about specifics. Will you hear me out?

I own:

HP pavilion dv9000

AMD turion 64 dual core

windows vista 32 bit OS

geforce 7150m/630m video card

From the Nvidia Control Panel:

[Display]

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-62 (2100 MHz)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)

DirectX version: 10.0

GPU processor: GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M

ForceWare version: 177.13

Total available graphics memory: 1343 MB

Dedicated video memory: 128 MB

System video memory: 0 MB

Shared system memory: 1215 MB

Video BIOS version: 5.67.32.16.17

IRQ: 16

Bus: FPCI

[Components]

nvCplUIR.dll 1.5.930.00 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCpl.cpl 1.5.930.00 NVIDIA Control Panel Applet

nvExpBar.dll 1.5.930.00 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvCplUI.exe 1.5.930.00 NVIDIA Control Panel

nvViTvSR.dll 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA Video and TV Server

nvViTvS.dll 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA Video and TV Server

nvDispSR.dll 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA Display Server

NVMCTRAY.DLL 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA Media Center Library

nvDispS.dll 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA Display Server

NVCPL.DLL 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA Compatible Windows Vista Display driver, Version 177.13

nvGameSR.dll 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

nvGameS.dll 7.15.11.7713 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

Problem:

I have crappy video on my laptop, and I feel that the card is not allowed to its potential. from my knowledge its my bios limiting my performance. I explain, In my bios i have 32 mb 64 mb or 128 mb available for video graphics specific. However in windows I have over 1.5 gig available for gaphics video... thats what it says about hardware... so I assume my card can handel 1 gig of video dedicated memory fine... but i cannot select that in my bios... thus lack in performance.

I have read that several individuals that have this model computer, or something similar with the same video card mention performance with this card and vista 32 and that it sucks... so I will look into downgrading to xp. I never have done this, Do I have to pay for windows xp?

Also, I read: "I recommend optimized nForce driver performance sets: http://www.mediafire...php?w5kwitnjxhy."

posted by Shaythong.

its available here:

What does this do? And If i downgrade to xp, this wont apply i assume, but what will be the better platform? xp or vista?

And I ask because I read this: "On Vista change the registry key PerfLevelSrc from x'3333' to x'3322' with regedit. This forces the GPU to run at max when plugged in. x'2222' will keep GPU at max on batteries or mains. The registry key is found in: \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\Video\{**unique to you for nvidia**}\0000\PerfLevelSrc ."

posted by Animagus

available in the same thread: now This is technical for me, but I think I understand what to do. So if i downgrade to xp, i wont have to do this. but if not, i have this option to better help my performance while gaming correct?

What do I do>? I dont htink i can overclock on this setup, can anyome confirm this? I can understand most of the instructions, but knowing what to do for a certain case is wisdom imo... would someone give me a few tips? Id be really grateful! and would be more than happy to spread the word around about this site on my dj blogs ect... or give you some free mixes... if you like electronic dance music.

so basically i just want to utilize the memory i potentially could have, and have it give me a better gaming experience, maybe so i could set my game settings on med or have low run very smoothly.

Edited by simplistic

Your card will use the amount of ram set in the bios to begin with and then use more if needed.

Your card has no dedicated vram, it only uses system ram, and it is also not very powerful.

Don't expect much greater performance from it on XP either.

It's basic integrated graphics. You could overclock it a bit, but it's not meant for gaming.

Here's an idea of the best you should expect:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4145

Did you search around the forums? There are a lot of posts that might be knowledgeable. If you can return the laptop do it as soon as possible to get a refund.

Edited by Shaythong

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simpilstic

thanks everyone. There is little hope to gain what i want with this model laptop. its not a gaming laptop, so it will not perform. oh well. i am trading the laptop for a desktop, from a friend, and that will solve my problems. gettin a g80 nvidia card, with 512 mb ram. that will be mor than enough for now. thanks everyone for your time to reply.

• 1 month later...

Hi!, hope its not too late. I had the same problem and found the solution on the web about 1 year ago. I know how it fells to have a laptop that cant even display Aero correctly. The issue is caused by a technology called Powermizer, it helps by changing the performance of the GPU according to the application youre using in order to save batteries, however, it does more harm than good:

On Vista change the registry key PerfLevelSrc from x'3333' to x'3322' with regedit. This forces the GPU to run at max when plugged in,

but allows powermizer to still work with batteries.

x'2222' will keep GPU at max on batteries or mains.

The registry key is found in:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{**unique to you for nvidia**}\0000\PerfLevelSrc

This way youll be amazed by the huge change it makes, I started hating this notebook and one year later I have no reason to change it. I use autocad and play games with better performance than my 128 dedicated GPU. By the way, this even works with Windows 7!!!!