LaptopVideo2Go Forums

FSC Amilo Xi1546 and Ati HD3650 - problem

kak

Hello

I know there is a lot of threads about upgrading xi1546 / alienware m5xxx, but I can't solve my problem.

I bought HD3650 256 MB DDR3 (from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.pl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250489223688&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) described as used but tested and excellent condition. Anyway, I have no reason to not belive this seller.

But this card doesn't work with my Xi1546. I even flashed bios to Alienware in version 1.19W, but I still see only black screen, I can't even enter to BIOS (I always hear 'beeep' when I press F2 - but not this time).

The number on PCB is 109-B37631-00B and number on GPU: 216-0683013. PCB is green color. Unfortunately I don't know from which laptop the card was removed and what version of vbios is there.

Does anybody know how can I check is this card working or faulty?

Or somebody who has Xi1546 can tell, which card should I buy next time (I mean vbios and these numbers on PCB).

OK, the seller has written, that card was removed from HP 8530P. Does it make any difference?

Edited by kak

Hi

I´ve tried out two HD3650 in my XI1546 unsuccessfully. First of them was also pulled from a HP 8530W. The very first time it boots up to Windows. But with no screen, saw only a black screen! After a reboot I don't come to Windows anymore, only black screen, nothing more happens. The second card gives me a grey screen with Bios Beep and a reboot any few seconds. After a while of "warm-up", turning off and on by pressing the power button, it boots up fine - cold start issue like posted here from many users, and out of the question for me. Tried any available FSC-, Alienware Bios and different HD3650 VBios, unavailingly.

Both HD3650 where 109-B37631-00B. It also exists a 109-B37631-00A with a little different hardware layout, maybe this is a solution? Also, there exists cards with Quimonda -10 or -12 memory. Of course there are many XI1546/1554 users (often with almoust the same hardware configs than mine) with fine working HD3650. But why some are running, some not - no idea. I gave it up, installed a X1900 now to replace my faulty X1800, runs fine. Conclusion: MXM is anything but a standard, it's more a game of chance! :o(

bzzamsdi.jpg

Edited by Termie

This is not good news for me :/ I have -00B, green version PCB, but I have seen also -00D with red PCB.

Did you try to flash vbios with Acer firmware (I found file Acer_MXM_M86ME_DDR3_11.00.27693.rom)? I can't flash it now anyway, unless I won't find somebody with HP notebook, but it would good to know before.

I guess (not sure) the -00D are the cards with 512 DDR2 memory. I´ve tried out 4 or 5 Bios versions, including the version number you´ve posted above. Also these ones and this one. Tried also to change voltage presettings and hardware specs string with RBE 1.21, also no success.

OK, I returned the card, wait for money and will look for another one.

BTW do you know is downgrade from Alienware BIOS to FSC 1.25 safe? I lost hardware volume control (in potentiometer) after flashing.

Hi,

downgrading the Bios from AW 1.19 back to FSC 1.25 wasn´t possible directly at my XI1546, it was denied on the part of the 1.25 flash tool (Windows and DOS too). So I´ve downgraded first to FSC 1.17 (smoothly), and then back to FSC 1.25. But I had never any problems with the volume control wheel.

Edited by Termie