LaptopVideo2Go Forums

I need BIOS for NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650 version C6

rccollins316

Hello, does anyone have an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650 for an Inspiron 8500 or 8600 or even a Latitude D800? I'm looking for the BIOS for it, but not the one on Dell's website. Their BIOS version is 4.31.20.52.C1. Well, it messed my card up. The video is all choppy now, and I can't boot up Windows because the screen will go black when it gets to the login screen. Anyway, my card had version 4.31.20.52.C6, and I didn't back it up. So now, I'm hunting the BIOS down, but Google doesn't seem to find it anywhere. If someone on this forum has that card and BIOS version, and can extract it for me, I would be most appreciative!

Ouch. That's gonna be a tough one to find. I see you flashed your card within the Operating System instead of using nvflash. One thing you may want to try is make sure the flash was done correctly. Make a bootable device with nvflash. Get a copy of the C1 rom. Then run this command:

nvflash -k <romname>.rom

<romname> is the name of the C1 rom and should probably be no more than 8 characters of length.

This command will tell you if there is any difference between the rom is stored on the cards EEPROM and the rom that you supplied in the command. When they are the same, nvflash either says "no differences occurred" or it doesn't display anything. If they are different, then that probably means the flash was not performed correctly.

Ouch. That's gonna be a tough one to find. I see you flashed your card within the Operating System instead of using nvflash. One thing you may want to try is make sure the flash was done correctly. Make a bootable device with nvflash. Get a copy of the C1 rom. Then run this command:

nvflash -k <romname>.rom

<romname> is the name of the C1 rom and should probably be no more than 8 characters of length.

This command will tell you if there is any difference between the rom is stored on the cards EEPROM and the rom that you supplied in the command. When they are the same, nvflash either says "no differences occurred" or it doesn't display anything. If they are different, then that probably means the flash was not performed correctly.

I was thinking that too, that the flash went wrong, and so I compared the rom and the file, and they're the same. I've reflashed it multiple times without any change. I'm thinking the problem involves incorrect video memory mapping or something. I ran some diagnostic test on the laptop after hitting F12 and choosing "diagnostic" for the bootup option, and it ran some video memory test and gave me an error code. Not that I don't know there's a issue: the graphics were chopped up the whole time.

My question is where the heck did this C6 BIOS come from? Why isn't it available? Is it possible that it's not from Dell?

If the rom was not a Dell rom you would have had to force flash it. This is because the vendor id in the new rom would be different than the one in the image stored inside the EEPROM of your video card. The only way to flash in this case would be to force flash and I doubt the manufacturer upgrade would incorporate force flashing. Basically, I'm pretty sure the C6 rom you flashed was a Dell rom. The C6 rom is available numerous places including here. The C1 rom is the one that is not uploaded on the internet.

Anyway, the only other thing I could think of tampering with right now would be the bootup clocks of the card. However, this can actually damage the card if done improperly. I've never done it myself and don't really even understand the bitmodel its based on. Lastly, just to make sure, all of these problems occurred immediately after you flashed the C6 rom? By immediately, I mean upon the next boot.

If the rom was not a Dell rom you would have had to force flash it. This is because the vendor id in the new rom would be different than the one in the image stored inside the EEPROM of your video card. The only way to flash in this case would be to force flash and I doubt the manufacturer upgrade would incorporate force flashing. Basically, I'm pretty sure the C6 rom you flashed was a Dell rom. The C6 rom is available numerous places including here. The C1 rom is the one that is not uploaded on the internet.

Anyway, the only other thing I could think of tampering with right now would be the bootup clocks of the card. However, this can actually damage the card if done improperly. I've never done it myself and don't really even understand the bitmodel its based on. Lastly, just to make sure, all of these problems occurred immediately after you flashed the C6 rom? By immediately, I mean upon the next boot.

Yeah, it was messed up immediately. I just don't understand how the C1 ROM from Dell would not work on Dell's own card. I'm starting to think the card was made for the D800 or maybe the M60, and to work properly on them Dell had to tweak with the ROM, and so C6 was created. Or maybe it was just a revision for newer hardware components or something. I've seen that the Quadro FX Go700 has C2 and even C9, which is a similar card, but nowhere to download its BIOS. I don't know. I thought someone out there reading this might have the same card and BIOS, and could back it up and upload it for me. I'm poor, and don't want to pay for another card. Looks like I might have to, or just sell the whole laptop and save for a new one.

• 5 months later...
Guest Pontus Rondahl

Yeah, it was messed up immediately. I just don't understand how the C1 ROM from Dell would not work on Dell's own card. I'm starting to think the card was made for the D800 or maybe the M60, and to work properly on them Dell had to tweak with the ROM, and so C6 was created. Or maybe it was just a revision for newer hardware components or something. I've seen that the Quadro FX Go700 has C2 and even C9, which is a similar card, but nowhere to download its BIOS. I don't know. I thought someone out there reading this might have the same card and BIOS, and could back it up and upload it for me. I'm poor, and don't want to pay for another card. Looks like I might have to, or just sell the whole laptop and save for a new one.

Found this http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=1634&catid=3

I have the C1 installed on my 5650 and plan to upgrade to C6. Ill see if i Can backup the c1 bios just in case the above bios does not work.

/Pontus