LaptopVideo2Go Forums

HP - Underclocking GPU + CPU + RAM?

LFLFM

Hi there,

I have an HP DV9000 series (1.7 dual core, 3gb ram (1 original, 2gb added later), GeForce Go 7600 256mb) and the thing heats up like mad; often to the point of turning itself off.

I want to underclock everything I can; GPU, CPU, RAM... I don't care if it becomes a little slower, I just want it to stop turning off and burning my wooden table! (the ram screws become hot enough to make little black marks on my table! I have one of those laptop supports with fans; when I'm using that, no problem, it doesnt turn off even after hours of gaming, but I cant carry that with me everywhere.

Software methods are more than welcome, but if possible I'd prefer to do low-level stuff; I would rather not have to worry about re-doing the underclocks after I format (which is something I do all the time).

I've found some stuff on this forum for the GPU; so I'll try those tonight, but I'd also like to know if there are ways to underclock the CPU and specially the RAM, I guess, since thats what I think is heating up the most (CPU seems fine to me, I might just try a very slight underclock just to keep it in check).

Thanks very much!

Kind regards!

First thing to do is to open laptop case and wipe dust from your cooler. Then if it's clean and it still is overheating use RivaTuner to underclock GPU. In Vista you can slow down your CPU in power supply app in the control panel. Unerclocking the RAM is pointless and nearly impossible on a laptop I guess.