LaptopVideo2Go Forums

sony vaio VGN-AR71M

errol

Hi I am new in this forum but I need some help to update my laptop graphic drivers which my graphic card model is an nvidia geforce 8400m gt gpu now i already tried the drivers from nvidia but when i installed them my function keys didnt work anymore the ones where u can mute sound volume up and down etc is there someone that has the same problem or had and solved this from a driver in here if yes pls could u point me to direct driver i need and how should i do it exactly thx

Hi I am new in this forum but I need some help to update my laptop graphic drivers which my graphic card model is an nvidia geforce 8400m gt gpu now i already tried the drivers from nvidia but when i installed them my function keys didnt work anymore the ones where u can mute sound volume up and down etc is there someone that has the same problem or had and solved this from a driver in here if yes pls could u point me to direct driver i need and how should i do it exactly thx

Hey man,

I have a vgn-ar71J with the same gpu as yours,and I`ve used 179.44 since february.

There are some new drivers for 8400m gt,but just two of them supports Sony Vaio models,but

those ones hasn`t been recognized by Riva Tuner(I couldn`t overclock it),and just rolled back to 179.44.

That must be fine...try it

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/2?dev=0426

did u have any problems with ur vaio after the driver installation about some functions keys not working or no ?

did u have any problems with ur vaio after the driver installation about some functions keys not working or no ?

No,I`ve never had any....

Do you use driver sweeper before you are installing the new driver?

no mate i only tried the drivers direct from nvidia site i never tried ones from here i have to be sure that they will work fine before i do it

Guest roypaci

no mate i only tried the drivers direct from nvidia site i never tried ones from here i have to be sure that they will work fine before i do it

I am always getting my drivers from here.Original drivers performance are weeker....

Download the 179.44 driver what I`ve linked,and find Driver Sweeper and download from the net.

First uninstall the old driver,then reboot the windows,start in SAFE mode.

Sart the driver sweeper if the windows started in safe mode.There select nvidia stuff(as I remember must be to options,Nvidia chipset and Nvidia display).

Click analyse,then click clean.

If finished,restart windows in normal mode,and install 179.44.

If you do well everything,Vaio must work fine :) .

• 3 weeks later...

anyone knows or tried any new driver that will work with my sony vaio ?

Oh and if I install one of these modified drivers and it doesnt work good can i go back to the previous oem driver or no cause u told me to uninstall it first

can i try the latest one for my card instead of 179.44

Ai...whatever....but as I know the latest OEM is quiet old what supports Sony Vaio.

Most of the Nvidia released driver for this GPU does not support Sony Vaio.

Good luck then,if you wouldn`t trust Laptopvideo2go drivers

no i meant i want to try the latest one from here not nvidea and is it necessary to use driver sweeper or not

Edited by errol

no i meant i want to try the latest one from here not nvidea and is it necessary to use driver sweeper or not

You can try some here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers?dev=0426⊂=&whql=0〈=0&orderby=version&dir=desc&os=&os[]=vista

All those drivers are for Nvidia Geforce 8400m gt(PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0426),and Windows Vistax86(32bit).

0426 is your device,if you want to find later a driver here,you`ll need to use this device code.

well i tried the latest driver for my graphic card and only the brightness control wasnt working good so i went back to the oem one too bad

well i tried the latest driver for my graphic card and only the brightness control wasnt working good so i went back to the oem one too bad

Latest isn`t the best always....

How do you mean brightness control was not working??

In the control panel?

Remember if you want a clear installation of the driver,you MUST use the driver sweeper to clear ALL of the files and registry entrys of the old driver.

And use the Ccleaner before and after the installation.

im not a good tech guy in these stuff well on my vaio i have brightness control by pressing fn and f5 to lower the brightness and fn and f6 to increase the brightness after install i tried them and they didnt work the bar showed up but nothing happened

im not a good tech guy in these stuff well on my vaio i have brightness control by pressing fn and f5 to lower the brightness and fn and f6 to increase the brightness after install i tried them and they didnt work the bar showed up but nothing happened

That is why I offered you the method of the graphic driver installation/uninstallation.

I am quiet experienced,and my Vaio is up to date,and guess fast as fast can be.

You only need to do what I am typing,and you will have a working and much faster graphic card and system....

Just ask if you are not sure in something.

well what i did was went to device manager and did uninstall but still the driver was still showing there and i dont know why but then it installed the standard vga adapter i rebooted and installed the latest one from here and only the brightness control wasnt working btw i was afraid im going to mess up my vaio so if u can give me a step by step i might try again

well what i did was went to device manager and did uninstall but still the driver was still showing there and i dont know why but then it installed the standard vga adapter i rebooted and installed the latest one from here and only the brightness control wasnt working btw i was afraid im going to mess up my vaio so if u can give me a step by step i might try again

Ok..let`s see...

- Download Driver Sweeper from here : http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Install it

- Download 179.44 from here : http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers?dev=0426⊂=&whql=0〈=0&orderby=version&dir=desc&os=&os[]=vista

- Download Ccleaner from here : http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Install it

- Then start the Ccleaner,click on TOOLS and after click REMOVE PROGRAMS

Find NVIDIA DRIVERS in the list,then uninstall it

- After Windows asks you to restart

- Restart the windows,and press f8 during the booting until you get a menu,where you need to choose START SAFE MODE

- The Windows will start in safe mode,there you need to start the DRIVER SWEEPER

- When Driver Sweeper started,tick NVIDIA CHIPSET and NVIDIA DISPLAY,then click ANALYSE

- When it is finished,click CLEAN

- Restart windows in normal mode

- Start Ccleaner,and choose cleaning and registry cleaning

- After that all you need to do to install 179.44

That`s it

Let me know what happened

can i install the latest driver one there is for our graphic card instead of 179.44 ?

Hey mate do u have msn maybe we can discuss this there instead of posting everytime ?

Edited by errol

can i install the latest driver one there is for our graphic card instead of 179.44 ?

Hey mate do u have msn maybe we can discuss this there instead of posting everytime ?

Ai...ai

karak0206@hotmail.com

Add me,and continue there...

can i used the latest one from here mate or did u try them and they didnt work ?

ok i added u now

ok i tried many drivers thx to roypaci for his help but the only problem i had was the brightness control keys (fn+f5/f6) didnt work if anyone knows on how to get these to work or something pls post back thx

Hey man,have you tried any of this:

http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/sony-vaio-fn-keys-no-longer-work

People talk about some ACPI drivers what are for the function keys

Or these

http://forum.pocketables.net/showthread.php?t=3505

http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-general/19223-vaio-laptop-hardware-key-screen-brightness-update-problem.html

1. Sony® Notebook Control Device Driver

2. Sony® Shared Library

3. Sony® Notebook Utilities

4. Sony® SmartWi™ Connection Utility

5. VAIO® Event Service Update

This five application must be installed.

The installation order is fairly important.

Check the links,there are some solutions.

Edited by roypaci

i tried this stuff when i installed vista 64bit and i was instructed by sony themself to install these in the same order but they still didnt work