LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Any driver suggestion for Unreal Tournament 3 gaming @ Windows 7 x64 & GeForce 9500M GS ?

Sebban

Hi.

I recently solved my freezing problems and I can play UT3.

I want to squeeze some FPS and Im looking for driver suggestions to gain some.

Currently using DOX's Forceware 185.85.

Are any better drivers out there for Unreal Tournament 3 ?

Also what bohers me - is he making any new drivers ? Im asking this cuz I cant contact him via PM.

185.85 is pretty good and you won't squeeze out much more with just changing drivers. Try overclocking if you want a nice boost.

I guess Dox might be too busy right now to keep modding drivers but he will be surely back with another release so check up on LV2Go from time to time :)

How do I overclock what seems unoverclockable ? :V

I mean... There are also safety matters - I dont wanna burn my GPU and I dont want to get glitches.

As for DOX's forceware Idk if its mIRC in the background or what but I got some FPS drops recently. I agree that they are nice drivers, but another thing that makes me confused - when I go to system information on Windows Update pumped drivers I see DirectX 11 when I isntalled DOX's forceware it says DirectX 10 - wth...

Also Id like to know if there are any tweaks from nvidia panel possible to tweak up UT3 more - atm my settings are "Let the 3D application decide".

And one final thing - how are DOX's drivers tweaked ? What does it mean "DX or OpenGL tweaks" does they have to be set somehow in the panel or they are tweaked in the way of files or what ?

Laptop GPU's are as easy to overclock as desktops. You just need RivaTuner and GPU-Z. The first one for overclocking and the latter one lets you control temperature, it shouldn't go above 90 degrees. My GPU runs at nearly 50% higher clocks than default and everything is fine.

The DirectX 10/11 is a common issue in Win7, I wouldn't worry about that.

You could try tuning it to Max Performance in NV control panel, but telling from my experience it doesn't boost FPS (been trying that with Far Cry).

The tweaks by Dox are turned on as soon as you install the drivers, so you don't set anything. Some of the tweaks are described in release info.

Laptop GPU's are as easy to overclock as desktops. You just need RivaTuner and GPU-Z. The first one for overclocking and the latter one lets you control temperature, it shouldn't go above 90 degrees. My GPU runs at nearly 50% higher clocks than default and everything is fine.

The DirectX 10/11 is a common issue in Win7, I wouldn't worry about that.

You could try tuning it to Max Performance in NV control panel, but telling from my experience it doesn't boost FPS (been trying that with Far Cry).

The tweaks by Dox are turned on as soon as you install the drivers, so you don't set anything. Some of the tweaks are described in release info.

I have no idea about overclocking. Ive also heard that rivatuner is reported to cause problems with Unreal Tournament 3.

I will try it anyway.

What should I overclock and at what values ? What would be the safest values and in the same way improving performance ?

P.S: Could you describe whats the deal with that DX 10/11 issue, please ?

I don't know what causes the 10/11 issue, neither do I know how to fix it. I just know it causes no trouble but showing the bad DX version.

I don't see any way RivaTuner could cause problems to UT3 :) You can O/C your GPU and then forget about RivaTuner, since you don't even have to keep it running in order to have clocks overclocked.

I don't have any experiences with overclocking the 9500GS. I could help you if you provide me with your default clock values (core, shader, memory). Overclocking is the best way to squeeze out some extra power, it usually brings up to 50% increased performance.

You may also find these threads useful.

Good luck :)