LaptopVideo2Go Forums

driver won't stay installed

Guest PSL

Alienware m5500 bios 2.03

Windows XP 32bit SP3

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (upgraded from a 6600 go)

drivers 186.81 and 190.56

I can install either of the above drivers with the modded .inf no problem. Every other time (literally every 2nd time) I start the laptop, it comes up at 640x480 and 4 colors. Windows seems to forget that the driver is installed, and I have to re-install it.

Any ideas?

My apologies if this issue has been addressed before, but I couldn't figure out what to look for through 141 pages of posts. :)

Uninstall the driver and run driver sweeper in safe mode.

Uninstall the driver and run driver sweeper in safe mode.

Ok, I did that, but the problem persists. I tried reinstalling from both safe mode and normal mode after running driver sweeper each time.

Thanks for the reply.

Does the nVidia control panel remain?

Do you have any software that might be reverting the changes?

If I were you I'd try Dox's 185.85 before considering a windows reinstall.

Does the nVidia control panel remain?

Do you have any software that might be reverting the changes?

If I were you I'd try Dox's 185.85 before considering a windows reinstall.

I don't know what software would cause a reversion.

Dox's drivers say they're only for Vista / Win7. Will they still work in XP? Or am I not seeing a link?

Were you experiencing the problem right after upgrading your GPU or did it work good at first?

It worked the first time I booted up, then the problem appeared on the second boot.

The last Dox for XP is 185.68.

Indeed, some software might be reverting the changes. Try disabling all startup programs that don't come from Microsoft/Windows and then try to install the drivers. You can use this little app.

The last Dox for XP is 185.68.

Indeed, some software might be reverting the changes. Try disabling all startup programs that don't come from Microsoft/Windows and then try to install the drivers. You can use this little app.

That driver appears to be working. 5 consecutive starts with no problems.

I also took a look at the startup tab in msconfig, and was surprised to see nothing was checked, considering stuff was loading. So I hit the "disable all" button, rebooted, installed the new driver, rebooted, checked only the essential items, rebooted, and now everything works fine.

Thanks for all your help, friends!