LaptopVideo2Go Forums

[Latitute C400] Crystal audio drivers freeze system

Guest stuffman

Guest stuffman

I recently installed new Audio drivers on my Latitude C400, that had something along the lines of "intel audio" drivers before. As soon as I installed the drivers from the Dell site (Crystal audio, C5mua09i), my system froze, even during the installation process. It seems that the system freezes as soon as something accesses the device. As long as I have the sound device enabled and the crystal driver installed, it freezes after minutes, sometimes seconds, like right after the login screen or even showing that still. I tried several versions of the driver from ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/audio'>ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/audio (CmuaXXi), but all exhibit the same problems.

Sadly, I can't find any Intel driver that works for my soundcard. They all either don't install or don't have any playback devices, so there's no sound.

I already spent a whole day searching for a solution-I'm fresh out of ideas :/ this drivers seems to work, but then I'm missing all playback devices. At http://www.netbump.com/hadi/search.php?devType=pci&venID=ven_8086&devID=dev_2485&page=3 there are more drivers listed that might fit my model, but there's nothing for that specific subsystem, and the few I tried didn't work at all, although I was able to install them.

This is my soundcard:

82801CA AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH3-S B1 step)
Vendor: Intel Corporation
PnpID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2485&SUBSYS_45418086&REV_02
Details
	 Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 31, Device Function 5
	 Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
	 Device 2485h 82801CA AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH3-S B1 step)
	 Command 0000h (Bus Access Disabled!!)
	 Status 0280h (Supports Back-To-Back Trans., Medium Timing)
	 Revision 02h, Header Type 00h, Bus Latency Timer 00h
	 Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
	 PCI Class Multimedia (Audio)
	 Subsystem ID 59591013h Unknown
	 Subsystem Vendor 1013h Cirrus Logic
	 Address 0 is an I/O Port : 0000D800h
	 Address 1 is an I/O Port : 0000DC80h
	 System IRQ 11, INT# B
Class:  Multimedia (Audio)
OEM Device: Unknown
OEM Vendor: Cirrus Logic
System IRQ: 11, INT# B

I'm using WinXP SP3, all drivers from www.intel.com available for the 830m chipset. Of course, there are no sound drivers.

Does anybody have any idea how I'd workaround the freezing, or where I could find intel drivers for my model? It might very well still be on ftp://ftp.us.dell.com , but I wouldn't know what it's called, and DELL support doesn't seem to provide a listing of archived drivers.

My recommendation would be to do a System Restore to the day before you tried to update the drivers.

• 2 weeks later...