LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Undervolt 8600M GS from 1.32 to 0.89

Guest reiluke

i should have done this sooner, usually play games around 90-94c after a couple of hours playing and im in asia, so room temp is very high. so a took the risk of undervolting

first changed 3d volt from 1.32 to 1.15

then played a couple of games, seems cooler

now tried 1v

still working no BSOD, temp around 88c

changed to .89 as ive red 9600M could go around that range

now it stays on 80-82c

i have not tested lower than .89 because im satisfied with the temps

anyway undervolting is way better than a 100$ laptop cooler or an arctic silver grease

:) good luck and change 3D voltage only

He will have flashed the bios with nVFlash.

There are risks with both flashing the bios and undervolting.

Glad you found a solution, but don't go any lower then .89v, it won't take it.

yes use nibitor to edit your own BIOS then nvflash to reflash it

you may brick your card if you dont know what your doing, but its perfectly safe if done correctly, the worst you can get from undervolting 3d voltage is BSOD, its very worth it

• 1 year later...
Guest Eagertman

yes use nibitor to edit your own BIOS then nvflash to reflash it

you may brick your card if you dont know what your doing, but its perfectly safe if done correctly, the worst you can get from undervolting 3d voltage is BSOD, its very worth it

I changed 3d voltage to .89 like you mentioned, works perfectly. Also, by finding the lowest stable voltage for 3d, you can undervolt 2d to at least .89.

So, both 3d and 2d voltage is at .89 - temps are much lower and all is well.

On top of all this, even with 3d voltage at .89, all is stable at 600/450/1200, up from 500/400/1000. Temps are nice and consistent too.

I've got even better results are taking the heatsinks out of the laptop, giving the fins a clean (lots of dust stuck in there for most laptops), cleaning the thermal compound off the gpu/cpu and chipset, applying OCZ freeze and putting the whole lot back in, it has made a big difference. There are guides on youtube on how to dismantle many laptops, my one in particular being an Acer 5520g.

• 1 year later...

hey

please oh please .. what nibitor and nvflash versions did you use .. i was unable to get any version to save my bios file.. i have a pavilion 9653 with a 8600m gs 256 ddr2 gpu bios is 60.86.4f.00.22

or i could use any other suggestions on how to undervolt this dammed gpu . used so many software.. none works...