LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Fan control, GPU and BIOS on Tosh P-100

Guest bluef

I'm one of the legion of people who suffers stuttering due to high GPU temperatures caused by fans which don't spin fast enough, presumably due to Toshiba's crappy BIOS. Mine has a 7600M GPU.

I'm running BIOS 4.7 and Dox Optimised 185.68 driver and XP 32bit.

I know some Linux users (from reading their forums) have successfully managed to alter the BIOS or write scripts which allow them to control the fan speed. However, being Linux geeks, the talk is all extremely technical and goes way over my head :)

Could someone help me so that I can increase GPU (and CPU if necessary) fan speed to 100% (or near maximum) when playing games, or make the damned thing automatically spin up when it's getting hot?

Running ATITool just browsing the web and doing other menial things has it running at between 65C and 75C! In a demanding game, performance will be ok for 2 or 3 minutes, then get progressively more choppy. After 5 - 7 minutes the GPU has usually reached a minimum of 95C and will continue to climb to well north of 105C.

Perhaps there is some way of making ATITool Rivatuner recognise the GPU fan?

Yes, and dust does not cause the GPU fan to not spin at all in Windows / Linux, but spin if the GPU is already warm when the computer is starting up and bootloader is working (before the ACPI kicks in - which manages the GPU fan once in the O/S).

It's a known issue with this line of Toshiba laptops. Despite about 10 BIOS revisions, they still haven't fixed it.

I've had enough it, to be honest :) I'm thinking of taking them to court.