LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Amilo M3438G MXM Upgrade

grifter

HI Guys

Because I'm using my Amilo for games time has come for some major upgrade (playing Overlord i have slow motion from time to time lol) so as far as i can see searching through forum my options are:

Nvidia 8600m GT 512 MB DDR2

Ati HD 3650 512 MB DD2

Ati HD 3650 256 MB DDR3

Those are the cards I have found good deals on. So now my question is which one will give me better performance (which is obvious comparing to my 6800) and less headache because I have seen a lot of topics about problems to keep them working with/without any modifications ?

i would go for the Ati Radeon HD3650 because its the coolest(55nm procéde) and fastest of the mentioned cards...

at the end its your preference.

hope it helps.

Ok thx for the comment but which one will faster 256 on DDR3 OR 512 on DDR2 ? And is Ati so much faster from 8600 ?

The 8600 with 256MB GDDR3 is about 20% faster than the card with 512 MB DDR2

8600M GT ~6100 3DM05, HD 3650 ~7500 3DM05 points. But watch out, if you would

read in this forum a little more closer, you will find many Amilo users with

have compatibility / cold start problems with both graphic card types!

I have seen and that's why I'm surprised that no action is taken from MXM side with solving the problem. One case was even that the user have bought card from them but they didn't bother to help "poor" guy. And they are selling both graphics that I'm interested in and saying that they will gonna work :/

So i would like to know if there was even one scenario for Amilo user that when they put the cards in and have done necessary modification they card was simply working ???????????????

Edited by grifter

• 3 weeks later...

Now when i was about to buy new graphic card my hard drive decieded to either end his life or i have caught a nasty virus ... To make the long story short after normal shut down my laptop stoped booting to windows and even recovery console is useless and my effort of putting new windows xp as well. So now left my laptop overnight with checking and repairing hdd application on to see what will happen while in the meantime i have ordered 2 brand new 160 GB sata 150 hard drives that should come tomorrow because i need data from my old hdd if it will be possible to rescue it somehow. So will keep you guys informed of the progress ...