LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The State of NVIDIA

Galdere

During last weeks' NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference, we talked with a host of NVIDIA executives, designers and more importantly, developers, to get a sense of where NVIDIA stands in the current market, where the upcoming Fermi architecture will take it 2010 and where the company will be in 5-10 years.

News

Not bad. GT300 series looks very promising and being a heavy nVidia follower. Looking forward to it.

In the past NVIDIA has made some great desktop graphics cards--- I've owned 2 of them in the 6800 series. But when it comes to laptop GPU's and as evident in NEWS posting, NVIDIA continues to sweep one of it's BIGGEST problems under the rug, To Wit: I've gone through FOUR Go-7900 series cards (and counting) in less than 3 YEARS in my Dell XPS 1710. There are also several other newer DELL/NVIDIA laptop platforms experiencing the very same problems. Owners of these as well as other manufacturers laptops are screaming bloody murder all over the forums. Dell blames NVIDIA for the problem and NVIDIA acknowledges it, yet this issue remains mostly unresolved.

Because of DELL/NVIDIA's propriatary video/BIOS interface in my XPS, I can't even replace the Go-7900 series card with anything else. Ultimately, when my extended warranty finally runs out I will be stuck with a top-of-the-line, $3900 dollar paper-weight. Hello NVIDIA--- I'm no captain of industry or corporate exec, but how's that for killing a customer base?

If NVIDIA continues to ignore these owner's problems, NVIDIA is going to contunue to lose customers--- plain and simple.

In the past NVIDIA has made some great desktop graphics cards--- I've owned 2 of them in the 6800 series. But when it comes to laptop GPU's and as evident in NEWS posting, NVIDIA continues to sweep one of it's BIGGEST problems under the rug, To Wit: I've gone through FOUR Go-7900 series cards (and counting) in less than 3 YEARS in my Dell XPS 1710. There are also several other newer DELL/NVIDIA laptop platforms experiencing the very same problems. Owners of these as well as other manufacturers laptops are screaming bloody murder all over the forums. Dell blames NVIDIA for the problem and NVIDIA acknowledges it, yet this issue remains mostly unresolved.

Because of DELL/NVIDIA's propriatary video/BIOS interface in my XPS, I can't even replace the Go-7900 series card with anything else. Ultimately, when my extended warranty finally runs out I will be stuck with a top-of-the-line, $3900 dollar paper-weight. Hello NVIDIA--- I'm no captain of industry or corporate exec, but how's that for killing a customer base?

If NVIDIA continues to ignore these owner's problems, NVIDIA is going to contunue to lose customers--- plain and simple.

What do you expect from the second generation of nVidia's laptop GPU's? 8600M GS Fiasco showed that they had a flaw in their silicon mfg and cost them billions. Using the 9700M GTS in a $1k laptop i can glady say i havent seen a single flaw in it.

Because of DELL/NVIDIA's propriatary video/BIOS interface in my XPS, I can't even replace the Go-7900 series card with anything else.

That's entirely Dell's fault. If you bought say a Clevo you could upgrade.

Also its the manufacturer's responsibility to make sure the laptop has adequate cooling for the GPU. So far I haven't seen a Dell laptop that has that.