LaptopVideo2Go Forums

CCCP Combined Community Codec Pack 2009-09-09

mobilenvidia

K-Lite Codec Pack Mega, combined with QT-Lite, using MediaPlayer Classic for nearly all movies and VLC for some that are badly decoded with DXVA.

K-Lite Mega here also and x64 version codecs.

VLC since I just watch downloaded media.

I use both Klite Mega (w/ QTlite) or VLC at times depending on what I am watching.

Hello there, random #cccp 'er here.

Thanks for the main page mention, the CCCP Project team has been trying hard to keep the level of easily install'able, as minimalistic as possible (while still playing back most if not all of your media) directshow playback solutions as high as possible (which is also why the release cycle gets slow at times, albeit usually the betas cover for that well enough as they're mostly usable when there's nothing to blame movax for) (the whole word 'codec pack' has become to lose its meaning with the fact that it's ffdshow and haali + vsfilter + some other basic filters that you need, not really different coders/decoders). If you have any problems, don't hesitate to either post on the forums or come around to #cccp on Rizon IRC Network. There's almost always someone around to answer your questions if you just ask them 8).

Anyways, I hope all the current K-Lite users won't get any problems like I did back in the days. Also, I heard that they have a forum nowadays so you can actually kick their butt if they happen to fail with something (it's too sad that most people probably won't even understand if something's really wrong, but that's just part of life; you can get away with such inner workings nowadays). Competition is always good, and having less reasons to tell people not to use something else would really make my day (Albeit I would still tell people to put CCCP for directshow playback on their computers instead of K-Lite because of the roots that pack had and the quality control they had earlier).

As a secondary thought, I see there are plenty of VLC users here (as in almost any possible larger community that has people that use less H.264 and are ok if their AVIs with MPEG-4 ASP and maybe some srt subs shows up alright). I would and now will tell you: If only possible, stop using that piece of software that doesn't even know how to do things properly. It might not show in any other way than with incorrect color levels on MPEG-4 ASP, but this player has serious issues with anything more complicated than MPEG-4 ASP-in-AVI (f.ex. with H.264 with B-frames). Solution for those who don't want to use DirectShow for their playback solution is easy, though: Kovensky's Mplayer builds and the SMPlayer frontend. Should work much better, have the ffmpeg-mt multithreading out of the box and all kinds of funny things that break in VLC. And needs no installer. You just download the package without an installer, extract it somewhere, make an 'mplayer' folder inside its folder and put the mplayer.exe from Kovensky there (and run the frontend via the main smplayer executable). Voi'la! You have a video playback system that even I would accept. Hint: VLC was originally a streaming application, and it still is the best for the task within all the bad options. I think that if the developers would've continued on that road instead of trying to be a cool playback app the application would probably place much higher on my likes/dislikes list.

As for Quicktime Alternative: Since most new "Quicktime files" are H.264/AAC in a container that is very close to what became the "MP4" container I'd say it's mostly unneeded (read: can be played back with Haali's splitter and ffdshow), although I guess if you end up installing Quicktime for some reason or another it might be better to stick to the lighter alternative (it's an abomination on Windows, although I can't really say it isn't such on Macs either [since there is mplayer for Mac OS X as well]). As for Real's stuff, ever since ffmpeg got RV40 (RealMedia format) support, I guess it's somewhat usable, but needs a splitter (that splits the files' insides into decodable streams for a player), which is why I guess people keep recommending the Real Alternative or whatever it's called on #cccp from time to time (it could've changed because the x264 dev Dark Shikari lately raged about CCCP not putting RV40 on by default since it got there; although decoding != splitting, so I have no idea of the real Real situation at the hand [since I don't see myself using such files that much either]).

As for what I use, there's CCCP installed on my hard drive as well as CoreAVC which I ended up buying last summer. Using the Haali renderer since it has given me the best output on various drivers/video cards/systems as long as I have the power to support it (f.ex., my old laptop couldn't run my own 1440x1080 DTV re-encodes with Haali, but that was with a Turion64x2 TL-50 equipped NEC). The mplayer executable I have is mainly used for previewing my proceeding encodes, but it could be used as a playback solution by itself as well. Also, since I happen to have an nvidia mobile GPU on my laptop at the moment (which the maker doesn't want to support well enough), I have been using drivers from here with pleasure 8).

>>Michael Marley

I do hope you're using uau's branch at least, and not the default one containing no MKV ordered chapters support etc :) (which didn't get into default mplayer because of lolpoliticsindevelopment)

Anyways, good day and sorry for the long Public Announcement.

P.S. Even though ffmpeg nowadays has 64bit assembler optimizations like its 32bit brother, I have no idea how well that comes up on 64bit Windows via ffdshow's 64bit builds. I remember Kovensky saying something that they were pretty much as fast, so there's no real reason to be using 64bit ffdshow etc. since you're pretty much breaking the compatibility with any 32bit app in the chain. As soon as there'll be some real reason to start using 64bit builds on windows, but it's just not now in my opinion. Also, as a disclaimer: I was only meaning 64bit windows builds of ffdshow here with the usage of the 64bit haali splitter and VSFilter. I know 64bit applications such as mplayer and/or ffmpeg can have positive differences compared to their 32bit versions on *nix platforms, although I must say I haven't tested that either.

I found a trojan in the K-lite pack once, and haven't trusted compiled packs since.

I use VLC, WMP and I always download single codecs if I need them.

I use klite but recently I found this one called shark codecs, and I find it to be a little better, and gives me better image quality out of the box: http://shark007.net/

For players I use Mediaplayer Classic Homecinema and The KMPlayer is also a really good player. VLC is alright also but not as customizable and friendly to use imho as the other two.