LaptopVideo2Go Forums

AR5007EG Drops connection

Guest Fredww

Hi

I have an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter on my Acer Aspire One laptop running Windows 7 RC build 7100.

Whenever I try to transfer large files from another computer on the wireless network, the connection on the Acer drops without warning, generally after about 30mb. The adapter will start working again after I disconnect and reconnect. Everything works fine for light usage like internet browsing, only "demanding" tasks like large file transfers or audio/video streaming cause it to disconnect.

I am currently using driver version 8.0.0.238, from Microsoft's update source. I have also tried versions 2.0.0.73 and the modded 8.0.0.225 (versions 1.28 and 1.29) from these forums without success.

Thank you for any help!

Fred

Go back to 7.7.0.xxx these are more stable

Added 8.0.0.238, cheers Fred :)

Thanks for the quick reply!

7.7.0.384 with modded INF v1.28 won't install, the driver update wizard tells me my drivers are up to date when I try to update from 2.0.0.x and point it to the folder containing 7.7.0.384.

With 7.7.0396 the problem is still present, albeit not as severe. Streaming audio and video works (most of the time) but large file transfers still cause loss of connection.

Also, I forgot to mention that the same laptop when running Windows XP with drivers 7.6.0.x does not have the same problem. Connection is lost from time to time, but not consistently as it is with Win 7 and large file transfers.

So it's a driver issue.

You should not loose connection ever if you have a good signal no matter what you pump through.

Lets hope that the flood of drivers that they are addressing the issues

I have no idea at this point as it looks like a driver issue.

You could play with the antenna settings (set to either A or :)

This fixed some connection issues for me in the past.

You will need the modded driver to gain access to this feature.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=ar5007eg

Try that link (will only work in IE)

Sort by 'last updated'

All the AR5007EG drivers will be sorted from newest to oldest.

Have a play with these

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Big thanx 2 modded drvs team for Ur work!

I confirm Win7 RTM with 5007EG randomly drops 54g conn. and halts to receive packets (acc. to conn. state dialog) under high volume transfers (file copying) regardless of a drv vers both 2.0.0.0 to 2.0.0.75 MS and 6.x to 9.x Atheros (disabling of a BG-scan wasn't tested) and regardless of an APs fragm/ack thresh. This happens on two diff. 54g APs and on diff. size transferred but the best results was abt 300M.

Then I've done a complete cleanup of my wifi card drvs and set up a lastest modded drv (8.0.0.279) with leaving default settings untouched (even not disabling a "bg scan" as mentioned somewhere on forum).

Now I've successfully sent to filesrv 2 files by 1,5G each.