LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Asus G1 Video card problem

Guest ls120

Hello,

Im working on a laptop for a friend and he has run into a problem with his Asus G1 laptop with the 7700go video card.

One day he closed the lid for it togo into hiberante and when he came back vista was at blue screen. He rebooted but now nothing on the screen shows up, it will light up but nothing will display not even post. He pluged it into an external monitor and was only able to get into vista safemode with 16colors. Vista says everything is ok with drivers and tried doing a system restore.

The only thing I can think of doing is uninstalling drivers, useing drivesweeper to wipe out old drivers and reinstall new drivers or possibly reinstall vista. But other then that im think the video card might be fried. Does anyone know if the video card can be replaced? I've read some post that say its soldiered to the mobo other say it can be removed.

Hello,

Im working on a laptop for a friend and he has run into a problem with his Asus G1 laptop with the 7700go video card.

One day he closed the lid for it togo into hiberante and when he came back vista was at blue screen. He rebooted but now nothing on the screen shows up, it will light up but nothing will display not even post. He pluged it into an external monitor and was only able to get into vista safemode with 16colors. Vista says everything is ok with drivers and tried doing a system restore.

The only thing I can think of doing is uninstalling drivers, useing drivesweeper to wipe out old drivers and reinstall new drivers or possibly reinstall vista. But other then that im think the video card might be fried. Does anyone know if the video card can be replaced? I've read some post that say its soldiered to the mobo other say it can be removed.

if you can plug in an external monitor videocard is fine, what is think happened is that when he closed the lid it overheated and warped the screen. it probably came out of hibernation due to some motion or shock. killing the screen. i have a g1s and i would NEVER close the lid when it's on. without modding it, it will reach 100C most of the time and the v ram chips are under the keyboard making the metal plate under the keys hotter and hotter if the lit is closed.

i extensively modded my g1s then overclocked and undervolted the gpu to 1 volt, this seemed to fix most of my heat issues.

you might be able to get a new one if the warrnty is still good... but i think the screen is fried

try to format and reinstall,