LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell Studio XPS 16

mobilenvidia

laptop-studio-xps-16-hero-b.jpg

Processor

Intel ® Core ™ i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Monitor

HD+ Widescreen 15.6 inch WLED LCD (1680x945) W/2.0 MP

CD ROM/DVD ROM

8X Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

Memory

4GB4 Shared Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

Hard Drive

500GB5 7200 RPM6 SATA Hard Drive

Video Card

ATI Mobility RADEON® HD 4670 – 1GB

Sound

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB

Wireless

Intel® 5300 WLAN Wireless-N (3x3) Mini Card

Battery

85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

This is a better specced machine worthy of a second look.

Still ATI?AMD GPU powered letting it down ofcourse :)

Dell do have huge options in their setups, so you can add all sorts of stuff to your rig, till your money runs out.

Studio XPS 16 Specs

I'm going with a single ATI Radeon HD 5xxx series card in the new Intel P55-based desktop that I'm planning to build over the next couple of months. nVidia has been dropping the ball on all counts in the last couple years (slower technical innovation, focusing on CUDA/PhysX instead of gaming and open physics/computing APIs, lying about bad chips, locking people out of using ATI for rendering and nVidia for PhysX, etc.) so I think I'll flip-flop back to ATI for another generation and see how things go.

So far my GPU pattern has been nVidia (TNT1), nVidia (GF2MX), ATI (Radeon 9700Pro), nVidia (7800GTX SLI), nVidia (8700M SLI), and soon ATI again. We all may be going ATI for gaming computers if the rumors prove true of nVidia shifting focus from gaming to GPU computing.

I'll miss coming to this site to find out what the latest nVidia releases are :)

Edit: And one more up-to-date nitpick about nVidia: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1411665&cid=29815691

Edited by HunterZ0

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was thinkin in buy this pc some days ago until I realized that in some months

the new ATI 5xxx are coming out in for notebooks.

I've been using nVidia cards since I needed them, but with the latest news about the faulty 8400/8600 (btw my current notebook with a 8400 GT from Sony started with the known problems in 1 year and 3 months), the lies about Fermi and the renamed cards such as 9800 GTX+ to GF 250 GTS or such

My gf has a Dell Studio 15'6 with an ATI 4670 and I tell you, after I look at the quality/perfomance now I don't have any doubt in wait for ATI... at least until nVidia fix alot of problems that I've been caught with

It's just my personal experience, oh btw her notebook with power saving mode on windows 7 could be on for at least 4 hours watching movies with the normal 6 cells battery when my notebook could only last 2 hours and bleeding.

Happy new year to everyone.