LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Windows 7 should ship today

mobilenvidia

Here we are 22nd October (in NZ).

The day of reckoning is here, Windows 7 should be released upon the masses.

Not sure how Windows 7 will be received to start with, there are so many RC copies about that the main sales may not begin till these are expired.

But OEM's seem to be falling over them selves to include it with Machines.

Windows 7 should do a lot better for MS over Vista.

Will XP fanatics finally convert over ?

Let us know if you stayed up all night just to be the first to get it :)

I think the XP hold-outs are still an issue. Manufacturers, especially of laptops, abandon us within a few months of pushing their hardware. I've got an HP nc6000 laptop that runs killer with Win7, BUTTTTTTT there is no Vista driver for the card reader. HP abandoned drivers. This problem is being ignored: there were no vista drivers so there still are no drivers.

The upgrade advisor SHOULD at least tell the user if some hardware is not supported. If it's not, they may NEVER convert. Then the person is still scared something won't work. Unless MS really pushes the advisor and holds consumer hands, people won't want to change. Change is scary to humans! It takes lots of marketing to get them to upgrade (like auto manufactures have done). Just look how people are FREAKING OUT in the US about Obama. Change of any kind scares people, even if it is good change.

Well the lack of continued support from manufacturers and distributors is one of the reasons sites like LV2G exists. Many drivers like the ones on your NC6000 are out there they may just lack the proper INF strings to identify your exact hardware. A modification of the INF file may be all that is needed in order to get things to work properly.

Windows XP is starting to show its age and Windows 7 is a great alternative and upgrade in many ways. I would expect to see support for XP dropping across the board as most people and companies only have the time, patience and money to support at most two OSs (from the same developer) at a time. I have personally been using the Windows 7 for a while now and have already found myself missing some of its features when I use the XP machines at my office.

Agreed on the upgrade adviser. Not gonna bite on the political stuff.

It is still only 10:00 Central Time on the 21st in the US, and I'm def not staying up to download my copy

but I got W7 with student discount ($41 total with tax and shipping) and am upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit for my laptop and am very excited for it in the morning

I got a free copy of Windows 7 Premium 64 Bit from my awesome tech school about a month ago and it hums, I have it on my Dell XPS 1530m, all drivers were installed except for the card reader when windows was installed(i upgraded some of course) and there have been regular windows updates and i have had no problems once UAC was turned off, i recommend any XP users who are waiting for the right time to upgrade now, you only have till 2014.

Also got a free w7 pro x64 thanks to my uni (via msdnaa or smth) and don't regret switching from xp. Been using for ~2 weeks now. As fast as xp (maybe even faster), has some nice features and so far no problems either (dell vostro 1500). Had to update some drivers, but that's less compared to xp where you had to download every driver separetly. Btw, i completely skipped vista.

My copy should be here today sometime this afternoon. They shipped it out to me yesterday and it should arrive today. Newegg <3 FTW

Tracking number

Ship date 10/21/2009 17:17:01

Estimated delivery 10/22/2009

Destination -----------, NY, US

Service type GROUND

Weight 1.00 LBS

Edited by Squall_Rinoa89

Had a problem with Microsoft Security Essentials with using too much CPU with W7, so I had to uninstall it and reinstall Avast

Windows 7 also shows my go 7900 GTX as a Quadro NVS 510M...

other than that its amazing and I love it

Windows 7 also shows my go 7900 GTX as a Quadro NVS 510M...

nVidia seem to have changed the naming of the 7900GTX to a quadro NVS 510M, even the latest version NVFlash says it is a Quadro NVS when flashing the BIOS. I have forced my card via rivatuna, to be a 7950GTX to get around this.