LaptopVideo2Go Forums

after installing win7, HDMI port stops outputting mid-game

Guest thiago_x3m

Guest thiago_x3m

Hello all!

I have recently installed win7 x64 professional from my university's e-learning program on my m15x with a 8800m GTX, and ever since I´ve been having weird HDMI issues..

I got all drivers to work fine, including Command Center (save for AlienFusion).

The problem is that whenever I connect my laptop to my LCD tv via HDMI, everything works fine while i´m on desktop (video and sound). But, whenever I start gaming and the temps go up even just a little (around 70C - 75C), the output just cuts out and doesn't come back for about 20 minutes.

I have tried many different nvidia drivers, different audio drivers, x32 and x36 BIOSes, etc..

My guess is that there is some sort of software temperature threshold that cuts out HDMI output, and that threshold is set too low..

Has anyone ever faced any problems like that?

I'm pretty sure it´s not a hardware issue since it started happening EXACTLY the day I installed win7... also, HDMI works fine for however long i want it to, as long as i stay away from games...

Even when the output is not working (TV says No-signal), nvidia control panel still detects the samsung flat panel, says it´s HDCP compatible, detects possible resolutions and refresh rates etc just fine, so there´s still communication going on through the cable...

Try changing the turn off display time in the power options.

Guest thiago_x3m

Try changing the turn off display time in the power options.

Thanks for the reply... I had actually already tried that, with no positive results.. The thing is, once the signal gets interrupted, not even rebooting will make it come back.. All I can do is wait for about 20 minutes (sometimes less)..

Once I get signal again, I can leave it on standby working perfectly for hours without a problem.. Looks like a temperature-related issue, software-based...

Strange.

Does the LCD vendor supply a monitor driver for it?

It could be temp, although it doesn't seem that high, or it could just be related to full screen use?

Guest thiago_x3m

samsung doesn´t provide a driver for my tv unfortunately..

I wasn´t able to test anything yesterday but i´m guessing it could be indeed related to full screen, but also maybe there is some sound configuration that might be causing this problem..

i´ll try some stuff tonight and keep this thread updated..

also, upon a quick search on the internet, i found out that many people are having (different) issues with HDMI output since they changed to windows7.. weird...

Guest thiago_x3m

just for the record, in case someone runs into the same issue, I figured out what the problem was..

when I installed win7, I downloaded the latest chipset drivers from lv2go, ignoring alienware's drivers... Turns out installing the drivers available in AW's website, the problem vanished immediately..