LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Nasty, frequent pops/clicks with IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio

Guest slander

Guest slander

Hello there, and thank you for your great work.

I have a Dell Latitude E6400 with the IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio chipset, and Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard x64 installed on the machine (configured as a workstation). It is working great, but I have consistent pops and clicks with the latest Dell driver for the component (v6.10.0.6217, A09) installed. My complete system specifications are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 (2.26Ghz) processor

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM

320GB 7200rpm Seagate HDD

Intel X4500MHD graphics (driver version 15.?13.?6.?64.?1908 from intel.com)

Intel 5100 AGN Wifi (driver version 13.?0.?0.?107 from intel.com)

IDT 92HDxxx HD Audio chipset (driver version 6.10.0.6217 from dell.com)

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
x64

My DPC latency is also high, averaging 600us with a maximum reading of 2300us (which is rare, such a peak occurs about once every 5 minutes). If I disable my Wireless card from BIOS, the DPC latency barely goes over 200us... which would point to my Wifi drivers being faulty (but I'm no expert).

The system is fully updated, and all hardware components have the latest x64 drivers installed. Processor scheduling is configured for best performance of Background Services instead of Programs (this is the default setting in the OS).

Please help me eliminate these pops and clicks and help me bring my DPC latency under 100us! I will always be grateful. Thanks! :)

I have the exakt same problem, but I'm using an older driver, will try yours and see!

And I'm using Win7 Pro x64.

Anyone?

Edit: tried installing the drivers for Latitude 6400 but they won't install, why the heck not, it's the same sound-card (codec) isn't it?

Edited by e2zippo

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Killerkop

I have the exakt same problem, but I'm using an older driver, will try yours and see!

And I'm using Win7 Pro x64.

Anyone?

Edit: tried installing the drivers for Latitude 6400 but they won't install, why the heck not, it's the same sound-card (codec) isn't it?

Dell E6400 running Win XP - this fixed it for me.

Control Panel - IDT Audio Control Panel - Turn Power Management Off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same situation as e2zippo.

Mine's Win7 "Ultimate" x64 but that shouldn't make a difference.

I have added a post to a thread about lack of Win7 drivers on the Dell Community forums:-

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19306967/19603928.aspx#19603928

The shocker for me is to find my machine is excluded from the list of Win7 compatible Dell computers, despite my spec being higher than default for this machine (and some of those other machines in the list)and modded moreso by me later - after my warranty ran out.

Here's an edit.

So, as you can see by the dead link, I got yet another post deleted from the Dell Community forum. *sigh*

Here is the thread, as seen from the originating post:-

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19306967/19598894.aspx#19598894

The last time I had a post deleted it took ages to figure out that it was because I used the word "d4mn" [censored by me]. I had to guess that it's probably a US site and they chose to take it as some kind of religious curse, so I circumvented their misunderstanding with the latin origin "damnum" and my post stayed - I'm a genius! :)

This time I got another rollocking. :)

They said I used "harassing, unlawful, or otherwise objectionable" language. They also said that if I post their message anywhere publicly I'll be banned. Well, how am I supposed to figure out what I've done if I can't ask anyone?

Exactly.

I was one who avoided Vista and then went straight to Win7 Ultimate x64.

My Vostro 1500 only ever had one old Sigmatel driver released for it under XP.

I saw that there were a few releases for Vista for different systems.

Mine again, had only one release and Dell's Sigmatel driver installers, for their other systems, ensure exclusion for my machine.

I was hoping I'd finally get over the "no driver update" situation that I had with XP. I now have a "no driver at all - stuff you" situation :P

The 32bit listed Vista driver for my Vostro actually states in Dell's compatibility box on the support page that it is also for 64bit Vista, but I can't get this driver to install under Win7 x64 either.

The Windows Upgrade Tool oddly mentioned (as others have noted) that my nVidia graphics weren't Win7 capable.

Everyone knows this is rubbish so I ignored it.

The same tool didn't mention anything about sound or anything else for that matter.

Dell have excluded my system from their Win7 compatibility list:-

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=79C4EC8D190CBBDAE040AE0AB5E14091&docid=364758#1

Is this only because they refuse to release drivers for the Sigmatel chip?

I paid £160 for an OS that should run sweet.

Everything else on my computer runs fantastically under Win7, so their compatibility list is BS.

What are they hiding about the Sigmatel 9205?

They release other drivers for other machines with other incarnation of the Sigmatel chip in.

Windows is using a High Definition Audio Driver supplied by Microsoft but recently it has developed the most awful spits, pops, scratches and other glitches.

Every time I try to replace this driver with an alternative driver the install refuses (often with "error:error*something*") and Windows fixes this by reinstalling its own driver again.

I NEED AUDIO.

I am a musician and, although I wouldn't use the Vostro to seriously record, I still use it for playback and for general media.

I still haven't got around to fixing Dell's shielding issue because it is a big job:-

http://pctipguys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=56&Itemid=36&limit=1&limitstart=0

After seeing concerns and examples on YouTube I even asked when I bought the machine and they said, that it was a motherboard issue that had been fixed.

Lies.

My laptop is good and definitely Win7 compatible.

My scores for the Windows Experience are:-

6.1 - Processor

6.1 - Memory (RAM)

4.6 - Graphics

5.8 - Gaming graphics

5.9 - Primary hard disk

I totally upped the spec when I bought it and have since swapped out the 3GB for 4GB of faster RAM, added a 4GB Intel flash cache Turbo Memory card, a 7200rpm, 500GB HDD with 16MB cache and also a 2.1 Bluetooth card that Dell uses in another machine.

This Vostro 1500 I bought from Dell cost enough because I maxed-out the spec.

I have added these things to further future-proof it.

I am not in the market for another machine when this one is as good as it is.

Holding us to ransom is not going to do Dell's business any favours in the future.

I am somebody who has sent other people in Dell's direction when buying laptops, as they generally supply a good product and support.

I'll wait and see what happens with this.

To say I am currently angry is putting it lightly.

I've underlined the bits that are provocative.

Do you think it was because I said their compatibility list was "BS" or (also[?]) the fact I called them liars when dealing with the previous audio problem?

They truly told me those things on the phone and I went ahead and bought the machine.

The reason I phoned them was the same: music is an integral part of my life.

It's only unbearable if I have headphones on and there are periods of audio silence.

This is when it's like I have a stethoscope to the machine and can hear all the electronic interactions.

Do you think the last line was seen as blackmail?

Somebody has already made worse threats about quitting Dell.

I'm actually hoping they'll come round.

I do believe they generally do nice packages - even with a few problems.

In my experience there are far worse things that get put out by the likes of companies such as acer or HP.

Anyway, I'm probably banned now but I still made a point.

Even if it's not in the place I needed a response from.

• 1 month later...

I have problems too. But I discovered, that it happens only with CPU and all system load. Then I can hear omitting in played music.

I tried many drivers and I think, that problem is somethink else.

I tried Mandriva linux 2010 too and there was no problem.

Normaly using OS Windows 7 64bit.

• 6 months later...
Guest diag03

I have problems too. But I discovered, that it happens only with CPU and all system load. Then I can hear omitting in played music.

I tried many drivers and I think, that problem is somethink else.

I tried Mandriva linux 2010 too and there was no problem.

Normaly using OS Windows 7 64bit.

any updates on this?