LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Monitor off (power savings) not working anymore with nvidia drivers / windows 7

Guest geforce8600m GT user

Guest geforce8600m GT user

I have a fresh installed Windows 7 Professional x64 on my laptop (MSI GX600 with geforce 8600M GT).

before I installed any nvidia driver (win7 default graphic driver/adapter was in use) the power saving options DID work. this means if i set power saving options to power off the monitor after X minutes, it DID work. even if i use a command line tool such as nircmd (nircmd.exe monitor off) it did work and the monitor powered off and was blank.

but then I installed the nvidia drivers... and it DID NOT work anymore. whenever win7 powers off the monitor (by time or by command line tools and apps) it just fades out to blank within a second and then immediately switches on like before..

now imagine the power saving options are something like: after 1 minute fade to 0% (so it's dark but not powered off), after 2 minutes monitor powers off. an ENDLESS loop begins, because everytime the monitor powers off, it's off for a second and then back to normal again.

I tried various nvidia drivers from the 19x.xx and 18x.xx series - everytime the same problem. also everytime I uninstalled a driver and tested it with blank win7 graphic drivers it did work again.. it just doesn't work with nvidia drivers!

what can I do, I really need to get this workin! any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem, but only on ONE monitor (connected to another graphics card). I run 3 monitors, 2 of which are connected to my 8800GTX. They turn off normally, but the one connected to my GeForce 7600 never does.

I'd love a solution to this problem.

I have the same problem, but only on ONE monitor (connected to another graphics card). I run 3 monitors, 2 of which are connected to my 8800GTX. They turn off normally, but the one connected to my GeForce 7600 never does.

I'd love a solution to this problem.

wow. i have the exact same issue. 8800gtx powers down both displays, but the single display on the 7600 doesnt.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same exact problem with a 7600gt on my desktop with a fresh win7 x64 installed on it.

I thought it may have been because of the custom screen saver I was using, but recently realized it does it with the windows defaults as well.

Maybe we should notify nvidia?