LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Acer Aspire 8940G

mobilenvidia

Acer%20Aspire%208940.jpg

Technical specifications

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

Processor & Chipset

Intel® Core™Intel® Core™ i7 processor with up to 6 MB L2 cache, supporting Intel® 64 architecture

Mobile Intel® PM55 Express Chipset

Memory

Dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM support

Standard 4 GB memory using two soDIMM modules, upgradable to 8 GB of DDR3 1066 MHz memory

HDD

1 TB or larger on two SATA hard disc drives

Storage

4X Blu-ray Disc™ Writer/DVD SuperMulti double-layer combo drive

Multi-in-1 card reader, supporting Secure Digital™ (SD), MultiMediaCard (MMC), Memory Stick® (MS), Memory Stick PRO™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card™ (xD)

Display

18.4" Full HD 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution, high-brightness (220-nit) Acer CineCrystal™ LED-backlit TFT LCD, supporting simultaneous multi-window viewing via Acer GridVista™

Edge to Edge Frameless design

16:9 aspect ratio

8 ms response time

60% color gamut

Graphics

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250M with up to 2815* MB of TurboCache™ (1024 MB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM, up to 1791 MB of shared system memory), supporting NVIDIA® CUDA™, PhysX™, PureVideo® HD technology, OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 or

(* depending on size of system memory)

Dual independent display support

MPEG-2/DVD decoding

WMV9 (VC-1) decoding

DisplayPort™ support

Acer Arcade™ Deluxe featuring Acer CinemaVision™ and Acer ClearVision™ technologies

Multimedia

Dolby®-optimized Acer CineSurround sound system with five built-in speakers and Acer Tuba CineBass booster supporting low-frequency effects

Optimized 3rd Generation Dolby Home Theater® audio enhancement, featuring Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® Pro Logic® IIx, Dolby® Headphone, Dolby® Natural Bass, Dolby® Sound Space Expander, Dolby® Inverse Filtering, Dolby® High Frequency Enhancer technologies

True5.1-channel surround sound output

Digital TV-tuner supporting DVB-T (Digital Video Broadcasting-Terrestrial) standard (6 to 8 MHz)

High-definition audio support

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) support for digital speakers

MS-Sound compatible

Acer PureZone technology with two built-in stereo microphones featuring beam forming, echo cancellation, and noise suppression technologies

Communication

Acer Video Conference, featuring:

• Integrated Acer Crystal Eye high-def webcam, featuring 1280 x 800 resolution image capture, supporting enhanced Acer PrimaLite™ technology

• Acer Video Conference Manager software, featuring Video Quality Enhancement (VQE) technology with H.264 video compression, supporting 640 x 480 resolution online video calls with drag-and-drop Picture-in-Picture (PIP) interactivit

• Acer PureZone technology

Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 5100 (dual-band quad-mode 802.11a/b/g/Draft-N) Wi-Fi CERTIFIED® network connection, featuring MIMO technology, supporting Acer SignalUp™ with Nplify™ wireless technology

Gigabit Ethernet; Wake-on-LAN ready

Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

I/O Interface

1x ExpressCard™/54 slot

5x USB 2.0 ports *1 shared with eSATA port

1x eSATA port *shared with 1x USB port

1x IEEE 1394 port

1x HDMI™ (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) port with HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) support

1x Display port

1x Consumer infrared (CIR) port

1x external display (VGA) port

1 x RF-in jack

1x Headphones/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support

1x Microphone-in jack

1x Line-in jack

1x Ethernet (RJ-45) port

1x DC-in jack for AC adapter

Acer's first Core i7 Notebook, this is the now very standard 18.4" 1920x1080 LCD screen with NVIDIA Geforce 250M GPU Notebook

Nothing to me really stands out over the other machines shown 2 weeks ago.

Your thoughts are encouraged.

I was eyeballing the 8930G this summer. Glad I didn't go for it, this looks nice!

One minor correction - specs say GTS 250M and your comment says 260M. Which one is correct?

You are correct, must have been looking at preview from another site

That's 128bit vs 256bit bus - regrettably leaving this Acer out of equation. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Patrick Hebert

I was eyeballing the 8930G this summer. Glad I didn't go for it, this looks nice!

One minor correction - specs say GTS 250M and your comment says 260M. Which one is correct?

Be very glad you didn't buy this computer. I purchased mine from TigerDirect.ca's store in Markham, Ontario - that was my first mistake. The computer has windows 7 premium 64 on it and the included display driver caused the computer to crash repeatedly the first time I started up the computer.

I checked for updates from Microsoft Update & Acer's site and low and behold Acer doesn't even offer a display driver for any version of Windows 7. Nvidia says its up to the notebook manufacturer to supply the driver so they're no help either.

I took the computer back to TigerDirect within 4 days of purchase because the store is far from me and I had to work and was told that they wouldn't exchange it or take it back because they said it was a software problem and not defective. The technician also told me it was my fault because I bought a system with Windows 7 loaded on it and I should have expected problems because it was a new O/S.

Long and short of it - I will NEVER buy from TigerDirect again because they sell defective junk and rip people off and will go out of my way to share my experience with everyone I can. Acer also produces absolute crap which is not ready for sale to the public as this demonstrates.

Be very glad you didn't buy this computer. I purchased mine from TigerDirect.ca's store in Markham, Ontario - that was my first mistake. The computer has windows 7 premium 64 on it and the included display driver caused the computer to crash repeatedly the first time I started up the computer.

I checked for updates from Microsoft Update & Acer's site and low and behold Acer doesn't even offer a display driver for any version of Windows 7. Nvidia says its up to the notebook manufacturer to supply the driver so they're no help either.

I took the computer back to TigerDirect within 4 days of purchase because the store is far from me and I had to work and was told that they wouldn't exchange it or take it back because they said it was a software problem and not defective. The technician also told me it was my fault because I bought a system with Windows 7 loaded on it and I should have expected problems because it was a new O/S.

Long and short of it - I will NEVER buy from TigerDirect again because they sell defective junk and rip people off and will go out of my way to share my experience with everyone I can. Acer also produces absolute crap which is not ready for sale to the public as this demonstrates.

That is very poor indeed, well try and do better.

It's your fault for buying a system with a new OS that kiils me.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_NVIDIA_8.15.11.8631_Vistax64_A.zip?acerid=633867695208032809&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%208940G&OS=V07&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

That link should be to 186.31 Vista x64 this should also work happily with Windows 7

It might also be the driver included with the machine (not sure)

There are no Official WIndows 7 x64 drivers from Acer (yet) they may release one (or they may not)

Funnly enough there is a Win7 x32 driver, not much use to you or anybody else that has x64 Win7

Also give this a whirl

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_NVIDIA_8.15.11.8652_W7x64W7x86_A.zip?acerid=633918902476023296&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%207738G&OS=711&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

it's 186.52 for win7 and the Aspire 7738G

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/VGA/VGA_NVIDIA_8.16.11.8766_W7x64_A.zip?acerid=633934409655270259&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%208735G&OS=721&LC=en&BC=Acer&SC=PA_6

187.66 x64 for the AS7735G

It should also work on your machine as long as the PCI_ID and Subsys numbers are inlcuded.

Speaking of which find the PCI_ID and Subsys numbers from Device Manager in Control panel and plug the numbers in here http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

It will display all the drivers for your machine that we host.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

I am buying a new notebook soon having elegant skin so while searching on internet i found a website http://www.decalskin.com/ , Is this website is really good in providing notebooks with nice skins?

• 1 month later...
Guest Oranges10e

Hello,

I bought this laptop as well, without the tuner and 640GB GDD (8940g), and love it and it features SO much for a nice price BUT there are a few problems:

1) I have called Acer support hotline is extremly expensive (0,99 Euro/Min for customers on warranty and 1,30 Euro/Min for customers without warranty) and I had to wait HOURS to get someone on the phone. I tried on three different days and different times. Today I called at 08:15am and the robot told me that all lines were already busy and let me wait 40-45min (it disconnects you after 15-20min and you have to get in the line again). The support is very friendly, but man, it just sucks the life out of me waiting that long and paying that much to get support for something I just bought.

2) I have been looking for some support and love but NO, all I get from my vendor is to go to Acer, Acer sais go to the vendor if something is wrong (14 days turnback?) and vendor then sais go to NVIDIA or Acer and deal there, they will not take it back on software flaw. Okay, great. Today the friendly Acer support told me they would get back to me in 1-2 days. I am sure this is going to take far longer but I'll wait.

3) I wanted to install the drivers from this site but asked Acer before doing so. If something should go wrong because of that, they will not cover it, but they also do not offer new updated drivers, so....wth? Why is there no support from NVIDIA for the 250m GTS?

Maybe someone here could help me out? My issue is this:

I seem to have performance problems sometimes, it happens without any tasks running in the background, as well when tasks are running - doesn't make a difference. Windows 7 is up 2 date as well as other built-in hardware.

Example of the problem:

When playing, for example World of Warcraft (happens with ALL my other games as well), then my performance drops sometimes - not always - (happens at random like it seems) by 50% and I can only get it back to normal with restarting the PC.

What I have done so far and what I think could be wrong:

I couldn't update the drivers past 187.xx, because the 250m GTS isn't supported by the off. NVIDIA drivers - WHY?!

I checked the GPU under load (WoW) with CPU-Z when the performance drop accured. I will attach screenshots to this post in order to show what I mean. The clockrate, memoryspeed and shader speed dropps and stays like that untill reboot. As soon as I reboot my computer the speed is up to normal again for hours and hours. What could be causing this?

NVIDIA Drivers 187.66 are installed. I need to know for sure before I go and bring this thing back. It's bad enough not beeing able to update drivers on your own and therefor depending on Acer to do so (tech. support said MAYBE in June/July), but it's worse that the card is downclocking for some reason - even in high performance mode (Win7).

Thank you. If you need more information, please do tell.

Screenshots:

Performance DROP and clockrates CPU-Z: http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7...putakt3fps.jpg

Back to NORMAL after reboot CPU-Z: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2...4fpsreboot.png

The way the game runs when performance is stable and at full power (60fps stable all the time): http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9025/wowfpsnice.jpg

Guest Oranges10e

Ah, sorry, here the working Screenshots:

1) http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7475/wowgputakt3fps.jpg -> performance drop.

2) http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2195/wowgputakt4fpsreboot.png -> peformance up again to full speed.

3) http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9025/wowfpsnice.jpg -> how the game runs when it's all at full speed with high details and 1080p.