LaptopVideo2Go Forums

One Problem of New IDT 6.10.0.6224 on M1530!

newjay80s

I spent hours testing newer IDT drivers with my M1530's Sigmatel 92XX C-Major HD Audio. Most were simply not compatible, but two did install successfully. One was 6.10.0.6233, but it was far from stable. The other, 6.10.0.6224, is working beautifully. All of my outputs and inputs are displayed, and it even exposes Stereo Mix.

However, there is one problem. Stereo Mix, though exposed, shows itself as "Currently unavailable" (it is not hidden or grayed out though) when Microphone/Line In is set as the default input device.

When Microphone Array is set as the default input device, Microphone/Line In becomes "Currently unavailable", and Stereo Mix becomes "Working", but it does not react to the sound playing through the system. A similar pattern occurs when Stereo Mix is selected as the default input device: Microphone/Line In remains "Currently unavailable", Microphone Array becomes "Working", and Stereo Mix stays "Working", but it still does not react to the sound playing though the system.

I know that Stereo Mix is possible with this soundcard. Earlier, I installed various versions of the Sigmatel 92XX C-Major HD Audio driver for Windows XP, and had Stereo Mix become completely functional. However, the microphone and much of the sound were not working, essentially reversing the progress I had made. Now I have a driver where everything is functional with the exception of Stereo Mix, but it's finally exposed.

I guess I'm wondering if there's anything I could try to possibly have Stereo Mix become functional? That would be my first step. My secondary concern would be whether I could enable my system to be able to use Microphone/Line In and Stereo Mix at the same time. Baby steps!

Here are my soundcard's Hardware ID's in case anyone else wants to try installing IDT 6.10.0.6224 on their XPS1530 or a system with the same soundcard: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_1028022E&REV_1004, and HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7616&SUBSYS_1028022E. This is for Windows Vista 32-bit.

The ghost of Sigmatel seems to still haunt my computer, however. In my control panel, the Sigmatel symbol is still there, only it's name is now "**IDS_CPL_NAME", and when I hover my mouse over it, "**IDS_CPL_INFOSTRING" is displayed. Clicking on it opens a stacgui box, which states "Cannot open [stacGUI.xml]".

EDIT: Oh! I forgot to mention that I also have Virtual Audio Cable installed, which gives me an additional line in playback devices, and gives me extra line and microphone recording devices. I'm curious if Virtual Audio Cable is somehow affecting this. All of the extra inputs and outputs associated with Virtual Audio Cable are working.

Edited by newjay80s

I hope that I don't get into too much trouble for double posting, but I discovered something that I believe merits its own followup post. Stereo Mix does, in fact, work. Not at the same time as Microphone/Line In, but it is only unresponsive according to Control Panel. When it says that it is working, it has the ability to record. I discovered this after downloading the latest stable version of Audacity, and selecting Stereo Mix as the input source. By itself, the recording sounds silent. It's after I applied a +30dB gain to it when the recording became both audible and crystal clear.

So this IDT driver does make recording using Stereo Mix possible, at least in Audacity. Here are the issues with it now:

1) In the Sounds section of the Control Panel, when Stereo Mix is shown as "Working", the bar showing its response, even at max settings in its properties, is about half of the response of the Speakers/Headphones. For example, when the Speakers/Headphones bar hits the max level, the bar of the Stereo Mix hits the halfway mark. When recording in Audacity, even at the max volume of my Speakers/Headphones, the resulting recording has a relatively low volume.

2) Microphone/Line In cannot be used at the same time as the Stereo Mix. In order for Stereo Mix to function, and to be able to record in Audacity, the Microphone/Line In must be disabled, and then Stereo Mix must be enabled, and set as the default recording device. They appear to be mutually exclusive.