LaptopVideo2Go Forums

nVidia 9650M GT Driver Problem???

philnv94

hi Everybody,

I'm French user: so, sorry if my English is not very good

I have an Asus M70VN with a Nvidia 9650M GT (1024 MB) & I read here some users have problem with this GC when they wanted to update the driver: me too!

I have Vista SP2 in 64 bits.

The problem is the following: when I want to update my driver with a version > to 18x.yy version, I have freeze, and then, the error with the nvlddmkm.sys file (the driver) and the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered ..." (something like that) - and sometimes a BSOD, and pretty often, artifacts -, many times a day (anyway, it happened each day, at least once a day, ever & ever!!),

I tried with the 186.81 version from Nvidia site, with 19x.yy version(s) driver from LaptopVideo 2Go site: didn't work, same problem(S)!!!

After tried possible solutions found here and elsewhere, the ONLY AND STABLE solution I found is to come back with a previous version of the driver: so, I used the 179.48 BĂȘta from Nvidia site (release date: 01/30/2009): works very fine since 15 days, no error, no freeze, no BSOD, no message, all of these have disappeared!!!

Another solution is bulls*** (like customize Registry or underclocking the CG with RivaTuner or other soft: didn't work at all!!) or very risky, indeed definitively lacking, like this: my laptop is always under warranty (more one year), I don't want to burn my GC by tweaking or modifying my BIOS (and changing & increasing the voltage of my GC!!) and loose my warranty in the same way !!!

PS: don't talk me about benchmarks; I'm not stupid, I didn't play games with my laptop, only weak-minded guys do it!

If this can help!!

Thanks

Edited by philnv94

; I'm not stupid, I didn't play games with my laptop, only weak-minded guys do it!

My IQ is 140 and yet I'm playing occasionally...

Hi. I had the same problem since 82.46 DOX. Every next driver made me BSOD after about a minute. I have spend a lot of time to solve this problem and I made it. I have made a reg file which I've saved (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{YOUR VALUE}\0000) and add a several enteries. This solution helped me, so I am giving You this.

"PerfLevelSrc"=dword:00002222

"PowerMizerEnable"=dword:00000000

"PowermizerLevel"=dword:00000000

"PowermizerLevelAC"=dword:00000000

Hi. I had the same problem since 82.46 DOX. Every next driver made me BSOD after about a minute. I have spend a lot of time to solve this problem and I made it. I have made a reg file which I've saved (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{YOUR VALUE}\0000) and add a several enteries. This solution helped me, so I am giving You this.

"PerfLevelSrc"=dword:00002222

"PowerMizerEnable"=dword:00000000

"PowermizerLevel"=dword:00000000

"PowermizerLevelAC"=dword:00000000

NOPE!! I've tried it, didn't work!!

My IQ is 140 and yet I'm playing occasionally...

I particularly enjoy the "occasionally" term... :)

Edited by philnv94

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not stupid, I didn't play games with my laptop, only weak-minded guys do it!

So I see Alienware is crying because of what you have said...

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem.

My laptop is an ASUS X72VN (which seems to be a clone of the M70VN) and the only driver which works is the one provided with the laptop. Any other I tried to install ends up in freeze or BSOD. They all install flawlessly but few minutes after, it freezes, recovers from driver stopping responding, then finally BSOD.

So for now I'm stuck with a 1 year old driver. And switching from Vista to Seven didnt help.

If someone has a suggestion, or better yet, a solution, I would gladly hear it :)

Thanks,

Simon.

Sorry for double posting, but i can't edit my post.

Just a few other things if that can help :

I tried drivers from nvidia.com, laptopvideo2go.com and asus.com. No one worked.

And I tried installing those from scratch, from "safe mode", same result.

So for now I'm stuck with version "179.30". It's as if Asus had modded the 9650M GT to not accept any other driver.

ID of the card is "PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_064C&SUBSYS_19121043"

Help, anybody ? :)

Answering to myself :

I found out !

It appears the ASUS X72VN is just another name for the M70VN.

So flashing my bios with the M70VN v206 did the trick.

It seems the only change it does is raising the graphic card's voltage by 0.1 volt.

And now everything's all right.

Hope this will help.