LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Dell XPS M1730 DEAD

oleGunner

Hi theres everybody,

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1325736&p=-1#bottom

My Dell XPS M1730 has just died on me.

The screen went black and then it made a doof sound and just completely died on me.

I can't turn it back on now. There seems to be no life or power going to the notebook at all. No signs of life whatsoever at the moment.

The ram and hard drive have been removed and tried to power on the machine as well to no avail. Any ideas people?

So far Dell has no idea how to fix it or what exactly is the problem.

They have changed the motherboard and CPU heat sink twice now with no success. The machine is still completely dead and there are no signs of life or any lights showing up. Also the keyboard has been changed now too with no success.

Even the battery doesn't power up the machine anymore.

Also another problem i've noticed is that when i plugged in the AC adapter the blue light on the AC adapter immediately shorts out and disappears. I'm not too sure what exactly is causing this.

There seems to be some power problem or something perhaps. It is also strange because the battery is fully charged and still the notebook does not turn on or show any signs of life.

Please help anyone

???

Any help or suggestions from anyone is much appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers.

Edited by oleGunner

Have you tried another AC adapter?

Hi Thanks for your reply.

No, I havent had the chance to try a new or different AC Adapter. I have tried plugging it in into different wall sockets all over the house but that hasn't made any difference. That was on suggestion by Dells Tech people to test.

I want to try a new or different AC adapter however Dell has rejected my requests for the last 3 days I have been asking and telling them.

Any other suggestions or ideas on how I can fix this problem or which parts to change or anything?

Thanks.

Cheers.

I'd say it could be that. I know a few people whose either died or the wires inside the cable broke. Does you battery charge at all? If it does charge, it may be something else. I think my 1520 has a meter on the battery you could press to see how much of a charge it had, maybe yours does too.

I'd say it could be that. I know a few people whose either died or the wires inside the cable broke. Does you battery charge at all? If it does charge, it may be something else. I think my 1520 has a meter on the battery you could press to see how much of a charge it had, maybe yours does too.

Yes, my battery also has a charge indicator on it and it is only a couple months old and it was left fully charged at the time before my notebook DIED on me. The Dell techs and I have both tried numerous times now to test turning on the machine using only the battery before we try connecting the machine to the AC adapter. However either time there is still absolutely no signs of life at all; no lights or any sounds or anything at all. It is odd to say the least since the mobo has been changed twice and you would think that would be one of the main causes or fixes for my current situation.

The Dell tech guy has since said he has no idea much like the entire dell office and staff; they too have said they have not seen this issue before and they are now trying to throw parts at me and stall my repair time. They are now experimenting with my machine; they are just changing parts willy nilly and claim that when it does not fix my problem this is only due to the DOA phenomenon.

(and still they deny me of a new AC Adapter).

Although I'm not to sure if it is only the AC adapters fault as the machine also does not turn on when using a fully charged battery.

Kind Regards.

Edited by oleGunner

Do any lights come on at all?

Nopes no lights or any signs of life at all. There used to be some lights on the mobo but now after it died not even after changing the mobo 2 times on consecutive days has made any difference. Dell is asking for 5 more working business days now to try and fix my machine. I'm not sure what exactly will happen after this. They just keep on replacing my parts with more and more refurbished parts which i think is stupid. New parts is what i want, not refurbished or in other terms other peoples broken down parts which they have just prettied up again and placed on the reusable pile. lol.

the link below is another discussion board where i have posted up my plight for others to freely discuss and help me in any way possible.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1325736&p=-1#bottom

Cheers.

I'm guessing the mobo you have now is probably bad.. You should get something when you turn it on.. I think it might be common for companies to replace with refurbished parts that have a high failure rate. I can only think of two people who had to get parts replaced, but both had issues. My friend had a Mac Book with almost identical hardware to my 1520, and the gpu went (known issue on the 8600). They replaced it, and that one went shortly after he got it back. My sister had a problem with her sony laptop doing about what yours is. They replaced the mobo, and it worked for a week or so. Then she had to have another one put in. I think it works, but she needed a good computer so bad that she had to get another one because they had it too long...

I'm guessing the mobo you have now is probably bad.. You should get something when you turn it on.. I think it might be common for companies to replace with refurbished parts that have a high failure rate. I can only think of two people who had to get parts replaced, but both had issues. My friend had a Mac Book with almost identical hardware to my 1520, and the gpu went (known issue on the 8600). They replaced it, and that one went shortly after he got it back. My sister had a problem with her sony laptop doing about what yours is. They replaced the mobo, and it worked for a week or so. Then she had to have another one put in. I think it works, but she needed a good computer so bad that she had to get another one because they had it too long...

Ohssss bummers chiefs.

Dell has now decided that they want to take my notebook away for 5 - 7 business days and work on it.

They want to try changing random parts and see if it will work now. Pretty silly lol. But i guess no much else they can do since they don't know what is causing the underlying problem. I guess if this fails Dell will most likely offer me a refurbished system which I don't really want or if I'm lucky like some out there are they will offer me the Alienware M17x. Heres hopping. Sorry to hear about your woes as well chiefs.

Cheers.

Yeah, Dell support sucks..I'm still waiting for them to fix the bug in their 1520 bios to enable 8GB of memory. Officially they only support 4 GB, and their response to that I can run with 6GB was "good for you"...8GB doesn't boot because of a bug that they fixed on the models they care about, which I heard about from some people at Microsoft because they had the same issue on a similar model..

• 4 weeks later...

I have just had the exact same problem, absolutely no sign of life. I'm thinking its something in the laptops power bus... I tried cleaning it out and when i did i didn't see anything that would cause a short inside my computer.

I have just had the exact same problem, absolutely no sign of life. I'm thinking its something in the laptops power bus... I tried cleaning it out and when i did i didn't see anything that would cause a short inside my computer.

Hi theres,

I believe I have isolated the shorting out issue. I have tested out each part connected them one by one to try and see which part was causing the problem. It seems that it is the touchpad top base part. the touchpad and where the keyboard also has to plug into. Everytime I plug in that part to the motherboard it always immediately shorts out the power on the AC adapter. Testing all the other hardware it seems to be fine. The power ligh indicator shows signs of life with the new motherboards and other parts. It only loses power completely when the touchpad part of the chasis is plugged in. Leading me to believe this is the source of the problem. Since also the touchpad section is linked to the keyboard area being attached and the power on button is located on the keyboard itself.

So replacing the touchpad complete top half chassis should perhaps fix the problem. Cheers. Intersting though how the notebook decided to just KONK out like that. Very weirds.

I knew it wasn't the mobo fault as it has been changed for me over 7 times now.

Hi theres,

I believe I have isolated the shorting out issue. I have tested out each part connected them one by one to try and see which part was causing the problem. It seems that it is the touchpad top base part. the touchpad and where the keyboard also has to plug into. Everytime I plug in that part to the motherboard it always immediately shorts out the power on the AC adapter. Testing all the other hardware it seems to be fine. The power ligh indicator shows signs of life with the new motherboards and other parts. It only loses power completely when the touchpad part of the chasis is plugged in. Leading me to believe this is the source of the problem. Since also the touchpad section is linked to the keyboard area being attached and the power on button is located on the keyboard itself.

So replacing the touchpad complete top half chassis should perhaps fix the problem. Cheers. Intersting though how the notebook decided to just KONK out like that. Very weirds.

I knew it wasn't the mobo fault as it has been changed for me over 7 times now.

Hi,

I have been having the exact same problem. I do agree that it may be the Keyboard chasis that is shorting the system, however, have you tried replacing this unit? Before ordering a new keyboard I would like to know if this is the exact soulution to the problem.

Hi,

I have been having the exact same problem. I do agree that it may be the Keyboard chasis that is shorting the system, however, have you tried replacing this unit? Before ordering a new keyboard I would like to know if this is the exact soulution to the problem.

Hi theres,

After extensive testing for me it was not the keyboard however it was the touchpad.

Everytime i plugged in the touchpad that was when the short of power would occur. I used the AC adapters light to test this.

You can try detaching and attaching part by part if you like to try and isolate which part is causing the short. That is how I discovered which part was causing my problems. Cheers.

• 6 months later...
Guest Sniper-ron

Hi theres,

After extensive testing for me it was not the keyboard however it was the touchpad.

Everytime i plugged in the touchpad that was when the short of power would occur. I used the AC adapters light to test this.

You can try detaching and attaching part by part if you like to try and isolate which part is causing the short. That is how I discovered which part was causing my problems. Cheers.

My problem is simular. I will plug my AC adapter into a wall outlet it lights up. The laptop battery indicator flashes orange three times the blue once this keeps repeating one I press the power button everything goes dead the light on the laptop aswell as the indicator light on the power adapter. Do you think what you found out could be my problem as well

Guest oleGunner

Hi there Guest_Sniper-ron_*,

It does definitely sound like you have a similar power short problem. I can't say for sure that it is the same part of the notebook that is causing the power short. The notebook will have to be tested or inspected to find out. Hopefully your still under warrenty otherwise you could try taking apart the notebook like I did and try to isolate the part which is causing the short. Then if your lucky enough perhaps you can try and purchase a replacement part online somewhere or on ebay. Cheers.

Good Luck!!!

Guest Sniper-ron

Hi there Guest_Sniper-ron_*,

It does definitely sound like you have a similar power short problem. I can't say for sure that it is the same part of the notebook that is causing the power short. The notebook will have to be tested or inspected to find out. Hopefully your still under warrenty otherwise you could try taking apart the notebook like I did and try to isolate the part which is causing the short. Then if your lucky enough perhaps you can try and purchase a replacement part online somewhere or on ebay. Cheers.

Good Luck!!!

Can you tell me how you isolated the problem and if yours is now working properly. If I remove the keyboard will I still be able to turn it on. Is it hard to remove the trackpad etc.Did you receive the message I sent you.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi theres,

Hi, did you get it fixed by replacing this part? I'm having the same exact problem.

I'm worried though, that even when i unplugged the touchpad, the AC light is ok, but , no lights of plugged or battery in shows up on board.

is this normal?