LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen Problems with Acer Aspire 8920G

realmickhoy

I have no idea if I am posting this on the right place so apologies if not. I have an Aspire 8920G and everytime I start up, the screen goes blank. I have to keep turning it on and off loads of times before it eventually works. Can anyone please help because its driving me mad, Thanks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill

• zipper

• Acer_Class_Action

• Qbek

Is it just the backlight not coming on? You can shine a flashlight on the screen to check if the screen is on but not the backlight. Does the BIOS screen show up?

Is it just the backlight not coming on? You can shine a flashlight on the screen to check if the screen is on but not the backlight. Does the BIOS screen show up?

Hi,

I have the same problem. It ocurred after Windows 7 updated itself. The backlight doesnt switch on and even external display doesnt want to start up. After booting the external stays on for a few seconds and after that it looses the connection.

Fn+F6 combination swithches the backligt on for half a second...I have no idea what to do. I tried downloading and reinstalling nVidia drivers (Geforce 9500) and still doesnt work. I assume it has to be something else since the display stays black even with generic drivers. All help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sami

Acer Aspire 8920G

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problem. It ocurred after Windows 7 updated itself. The backlight doesnt switch on and even external display doesnt want to start up. After booting the external stays on for a few seconds and after that it looses the connection.

Fn+F6 combination swithches the backligt on for half a second...I have no idea what to do. I tried downloading and reinstalling nVidia drivers (Geforce 9500) and still doesnt work. I assume it has to be something else since the display stays black even with generic drivers. All help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sami

Acer Aspire 8920G

Hi i turned on my machine today 8920g and have the exact same problem, was just wondering if you got a fix for it or was it a backlight problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem, always a 8920G

Fn+F6 sometimes works for me for a couple of seconds sometimes for not even a fraction of second...

The screen is actually working, if you run a movie you can see it play even if the screen is completely dark

Does this happen in any operating system?

If it was a hardware failure (failure to provide power to backlight inverter) you could hack some external power up...

Maybe the inverters in that model are bad?

If a backlight comes on for a few seconds then shuts off that doesn't mean the backlight or the inverter is working correctly.

Does the backlight flicker when it does come on?

Guest ColonelJack

Does this happen in any operating system?

If it was a hardware failure (failure to provide power to backlight inverter) you could hack some external power up...

Maybe the inverters in that model are bad?

If a backlight comes on for a few seconds then shuts off that doesn't mean the backlight or the inverter is working correctly.

Does the backlight flicker when it does come on?

I have this problem too. (Windows 7, acer 8920)

Initially started a couple of days ago. A system restore initially solved the problem. I picked a restore point before a critical windows update was installed (which was strange, as I have automatic update downloads turned off.)

The screen turns on for about a second, then turns off. Closing the lid and opening again allows the screen to come on for a second...

system restore no longer fixes the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

same problem with my 8920

Fn with f6 brings the screen back to life - but only for a few seconds

works perfect with an external monitor

I very bravely brought and installed a new inverter (which cost about 50 uk pounds) but problem remained the same

i am now considering changing the backlight

but with the big acer its quite a job to get the screen surround off to access these parts

has anybody found the solution to the problem yet?

• 3 months later...
Guest vanhila

Hey guys, it looks like alot of us are having the exact same problem with the 8920 series laptops. I contacted Acer's customer service and the only solution they offered was to send in the unit and pay $199. Just wondering if there are enough of us having this problem to unite and either approach Acer or maybe even an attorney?

Guest koushaku

Ok. this is weird, but the back light works again just fine. Turned on when i pressed Fn+F6, and stayed on. Before that Fn+F6 only turned it on for 0,5. I had been working on my laptop with a 300W lamp turned at it. :) I think the lamp was sitting on the Ctrl button the whole time. Even when i pressed The final FnF6 combination that stayed on.

Guest Franz

I Changed the brightness of the screen fully down, then it stays on longer fn + left arrow. It's not Windows 7 because it happens at the BIOS screen aswell before the OS starts to load.

Guest Mr. von Francois

Business Connexion // Acer South Africa Warranty Centre Namibia

Hello,

I've the exact same issue and taken it up with Acer SA. Here's my troubleshooting:

1.) I’ve disconnected all unneeded cables and accessories and installed a new INV board (stripped the entire unit & checked the service guide for a suspense switch but did not find any, if you are referring to the switch that is triggered by physical contact and turns the backlight off as soon as the units lid is closed).

2.) I’ve installed a known-good test backlight on the new and the old INV board.

3.) I’ve tested on external monitor and everything works fine.

4.) I’ve done a BIOS upgrade which did not solve the issue.

5.) I’ve tested on A/C and on battery.

6.) I’ve tested both backlights individually.

With the above troubleshooting, I came to the conclusion that either the LCD cable or the mainboard is faulty. The backlight, which is turned off and on is powered by the mainboard but runs through the LCD cable. By disconnecting all accessories, the short-out problem of any faulty component should be certain. The new INV board shows, that the original INV board is not faulty. The backlight test, shows that the problem does not reside from the LCD backlight and with external screen, it displays, showing that the GPU and the LCD are not faulty. As it is possible for the issue to be temporarily removed with the FN & F6 for a few seconds, it would most likely be the mainboard with a function failure supplying incorrect voltages for powering the two backlight.

Please let me know if the details seem correct and advise on which part I should order: LCD cable, GPU, or MB ???

Others, please if you have the option to test above, please do as I do not have the spare parts and would need to order them from far away for the client, as this is not a warranty issue it would be quite costy to order the WRONG part for my client.

Guest Mr. von Francois

Business Connexion // Acer South Africa Warranty Centre Namibia

Hello again,

Just to eliminate one fault - It's not the GPU, was tested working 100 % in another machine

Guest Mr. von Francois

This thread seems like a massive necro from january ; Doubt that anyone will look at it or even solve it...

Guest Mr. von Francois

I'll leave with a final suggestion and assumption : Find and replace the LCD cover switch, that is used to put the LCD in hibernation or just to turn of the LCD backlight when the lid of the unit is closed.

Guest Sammy

Hey all,

I have the exact same problem. it only started after i moved from Toronto to the middle east two weeks ago, no changes to my system otherwise.

I found a solution on one of the other forums, worked for me:

1) install the latest vga driver

2) turn off the laptop, disconnect from power, take out the battery, and unplug anything else (usb/SDcard/etc.)

3) hold the power button down for 30 seconds (or a bit more)

4) plug in power and turn off without battery...once it's working plug in the battery

apparently this clears static from the ram

other suggestions were to remove the ram and put it back, download windows updates, install windows 7...who knows

good luck!

Guest Mr. von Francois

The above doesn't work. The method above only works on units that don't boot up at all. If the unit comes up with LED's on but no display, no boot, no beep etc, then sometimes RAM is the issue like above with static build-up, not seated properly or faulty RAM. As mentioned before, the unit works on external screen and as we always test RAM for faults, the above method does not apply to this situation.

Guest frustrated

Hi all,

Had the same problem. i.e. black screen, shine torch on screen and can see that laptop has booted up successfully.

Hit Fn + F6 and nothing but on hiting Fn again the screen comes back to life for a few seconds then black again.

I got my laptop working by holding down Fn and pressing F6 repeatedley, 10 times or so and the screen stayed on.

Maybe the LCD/switch (Fn + F6) is faulty and pressing lots of times made it work.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Guest frustrated

Hi again,

after 3 correct boots, my laptop screen went blank again.

I held the Fn key and pressed the F6 twice before the screen came back on and stayed on.

If this all I have to do after booting up I can live with that.

Cheers

Guest frustrated

Hi Again,

None of the above lasted very long, but when I turned the brightness down after pressing Fn + F6 then any key (i know you may have to be quick) it has lasted 2 days. Maybe something to do with the inverter or backlight being overloaded?

Cheers