LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen Problems with Acer Aspire 8920G

realmickhoy

Hi all, I've had my aspire 8930 since boxing day of 08 and i have been to countless forums for about a year and a half to try and figure this out. I've brought it to multiple shops along with calling the useless customer service in India. Now after paying over $2000 for the machine in total, I am at a loss. again same with the 8920 problems I've been hearing, the Fn+F6+ any other button on the keyboard works for 1 second, though through trial and error, the back light will remain up until the laptop goes to sleep. Im at a total loss right now. anyone figure this thing out?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill

• zipper

• Mikko

• Spacer

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DcR Computer

Hi folks

Computer techie here trying to sort out a 8920G laptop with, you've guessed, a screen problem. Symptoms: a screen which lasts for 2 seconds then goes black/dark. Actually, the screen is working; when a torch is shined on the display one can make out what's showing. Tried with external monitor - no problems. Leads me to believe the problem is with the screen, not the GPU or MB. Replaced the inverter (around £35 inc p&p) and the screen now works - sort of. There was an intermittent flickering and the screens brightness does not respond correctly - Fn Left/Right merely seems to input a random brightness selection.

I note with interest the comments about the build quality, especially with regard to the wiring. The LCD cable runs across the hinge and rubs whenever the unit is opened and closed.

I have found that if i apply pressure to the right side of the lower part of the screen where the inverter is internally installed, the screen stays on.

I also found that if I pressed gently on the bottom edge of the screen, the flickering stopped.

I took it to a store in Toronto, they showed me the problem...there's a short red wire connecting to the bulb that was faulty, it disconnected whenever any pressure was put on it. They couldn't solder it so they had to replace the bulb (long white tube across the bottom of the screen).

That's tomorrow's job; I'll report back my findings. Incidentally, the 8920G's Service Manual can be found here:

Acer Aspire 8920G Service Manual

All the best

DcR Computer

Guest DcR_Computer

Update - I dismantled the laptop's top half completely without any screen distortion. Applied gentle but firm pressure to the sides of the screen with no problems. Wiggled all wires and connections with no problems. Reassembled top half with no problems. Reattached top half and replaced right hand security cover again with no problems.

The problems arose when replacing the left DC input cover and back cover, the one between the keyboard and screen. At varying screen positions the screen looks as though it loses one of the pixel colours giving the screen a grainy appearance.

Regardless of what I do, the brightness of the screen still cannot be correctly controlled from the keyboard. This one has me stumped and I will be recommending that the customer returns the unit to Acer for further investigation. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

DcR C

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

I have the same problem with a Travelmate 8100. Changing the inverter does not work (I did). Now it is working fine withe the FnF6 buttom permanently pressed (with a paperclip)

Anyone an other solution?.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I've solved this backlight issue turns out to be a 2 lamp lcd inverter!! Of course this part is discontinued! Try to get support from Acer has been the most

frustrating thing I have ever dealt with! They generically tell you to send it to them for 199.00 and they will repair this! Best part is its a discontinued part so they will say they cannot repair this! SO you will waste your money shipping it to them. There is no human contact other than e-mail and a generic we are sorry for your inconvience is supplied. This company can blow me due to a 30.00 dollar faulty part makes my 1800.00 lap top a piece of crap!!!!

DO Not buy any Acer products!! They do this intentionally to force you to buy a new one!

Same problem here. Replaced a broken screen for a friend with a new screen and the problems that all are experiencing showed up. Its not the cables or loose bits or static, because we get a response to F6. Resetting the BIOS works for a bit, so how can it be any of the above. In our case when starting from cold we can hear the inverter whistling under stress as the screen lights up, then switching off. This is a classic sound of a Switched Mode Power Supply overload (same as inverters). Once the Acer is warmed up all works well, suggesting a component failure which supplies power to the inverter or the m/board signal out. Bios can also dictate voltages. So don't waste money. Acer should respond with a solution. I will email this forum to them!

Today, I removed the BIOS battery plug for an hour, reset everything and it seems to work now. The tiny plug is situated just behind the hard drive and is very delicate.

I have had the same problem for eight months now and when I turn my computer on I run windows systemcare 3. It stops the screen shutting down, i therefore think this can't be a hardware problem it has to be a software problem or a virus! Can somebody else try the program and let me know what they find?

Hi all!!

Please read this. It would be interesting if we can all help each other. we must unite and see how we solve this. Acer should get us new functioning pcs similar to those we bought. If we unite and press together giving support across countries, we have to win this. I will testify somehow for anyone that starts individual or grupal trial.

I saw in a movie that the ipod had their batteries made so that they didnt last more than 18 months, and non replaceable, so that you had to buy a new one. The consumers united and won the trial: apple had to extend warranty up to 2 years and make batteries replaceable. And Apple is far more powerfull than acer; and its obvious there are lots of us! unite!

This is my email: alejoml1@hotmail.com

from argentina, with love!

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone, the same problem..

try push Fn+F5 - my problem started when I disconected cable to a projector..

now i pushed F5 and (F6 earlier of course)and for 2 hours screen is on like now...

I'll see how it goes on

bye

it is not so easy.. and i don't understand it:

once I keep pushing Fn + F6 for a longer time and it works ok (is ON), but sometimes it doesn't work.. known 2-sec.

once it shines few hours once 10 min...

does enybody fixed it?

regards

jaano

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Numan

I'll leave with a final suggestion and assumption : Find and replace the LCD cover switch, that is used to put the LCD in hibernation or just to turn of the LCD backlight when the lid of the unit is closed.

But where I can find the LCD cover switch??? I cannot see it anywhere? Please help me...

Guest Robert

Another one bites the dust..I found a new backlight online at www.LaptopLcdPartsDirect.com located in USA for $11.99 shipping cost varies sadly they did not have a cable, trust this is of some help

I have no idea if I am posting this on the right place so apologies if not. I have an Aspire 8920G and everytime I start up, the screen goes blank. I have to keep turning it on and off loads of times before it eventually works. Can anyone please help because its driving me mad, Thanks.

****- FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX -****

This is to fix the 2 second screen when Fn + F6 is pressed.

Ok Guys, this is actually easy to fix. I've debugged this down to the Bios. In some cases the settings in the bios on the 8920g gets slightly corrupted (note you cannot see this in the bios setup). To fix, all you have to do is to go into the bios (F2) on startup (if you have difficulty seeing the bios screens then repeatedly press Fn and F6 fast until it manages to stay on.) When in the bios, load up the bios default settings (F9 i think). Once loaded, then press F10 to save and exit. Your computer will then restart and the problem will be fixed. Someone on here suggests flashing the BIOS, (DO NOT!!!!) it's not needed and can screw up your computer if it goes wrong. The reason it fixed it for him was due to it writing the new settings back to the flash. You can thank me by sending a small paypal donation to brereton_paul (@) btinternet.com. I've just saved you all a load of hassle (and money).

Cheers. :-)

It didn't work for me.

****- FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX FIX -****

This is to fix the 2 second screen when Fn + F6 is pressed.

Ok Guys, this is actually easy to fix. I've debugged this down to the Bios. In some cases the settings in the bios on the 8920g gets slightly corrupted (note you cannot see this in the bios setup). To fix, all you have to do is to go into the bios (F2) on startup (if you have difficulty seeing the bios screens then repeatedly press Fn and F6 fast until it manages to stay on.) When in the bios, load up the bios default settings (F9 i think). Once loaded, then press F10 to save and exit. Your computer will then restart and the problem will be fixed. Someone on here suggests flashing the BIOS, (DO NOT!!!!) it's not needed and can screw up your computer if it goes wrong. The reason it fixed it for him was due to it writing the new settings back to the flash. You can thank me by sending a small paypal donation to brereton_paul (@) btinternet.com. I've just saved you all a load of hassle (and money).

Cheers. :-)

Guest Sangry

Same problem, found a new combination for the screen to work for about 2 sec (earlier Fn+F6), Fn+F6 followed by Ctrl - Im getting really angry at this s***.

Default BIOS settings did not work either, have anyone found a solution yet? I smash this piece of junk with a hammer soon.

Guest GeoffC

Hi,

I have the same problem. It ocurred after Windows 7 updated itself. The backlight doesnt switch on and even external display doesnt want to start up. After booting the external stays on for a few seconds and after that it looses the connection.

Fn+F6 combination swithches the backligt on for half a second...I have no idea what to do. I tried downloading and reinstalling nVidia drivers (Geforce 9500) and still doesnt work. I assume it has to be something else since the display stays black even with generic drivers. All help is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sami

Acer Aspire 8920G

I have the same problems. Changing inverter doesnt help. Sent it to Acer store, the would like to have 500 Euros for a new LCD panel... Just 5 months after the warranty was gone... Service from Acer is terrible, tried to find out before by email them, forget it. I will never buy a Acer Product again!

• 2 weeks later...

I have now resoldered my power connection and found that my power supply was faulty. I have also taken Vista off and returned my machine to XP. I no longer have the issues with screen faults. My Notebook has been functioning correctly for two months now. I believe the fault to lay with the Power supply, however vista was causing othe problems for me and the connecting just inside the laptop was also a bit dodgy. Hope this helps all those out there with the same issue and maybe saves you a lot of money! Getting in is a pian but it is easy as it is just a cover so just a basic soldering excercise and a new power supply.

I swapped Vista with a Windows 7 64 bit version. I think the problem is caused from a windows update. That is why it happened at the same time in so many people

Guest Alex_41

I have now reverted back to my original 32bit Vista OS SP1. Every thing is running smooth on my system. I have a good PSU and a faulty PSU using the good PSU I dont have the fault using the Faulty one I do. If I am using the faulty PSU with an empty battery the laptop is ok it is when it is 75% charged it starts to exhibit the fault. If I unplug and run on battery the fault is no longer there. I therefore conclude that the problem is caused by a faulty PSU. The only answer for that is for Acer to supply an external battery charger, and a mains unit that plugs in where the battery goes to reduce damaged PSU's.

Guest RICHARD BRADLEY

Having the same problem! My backlight has gone. I tried hitting f6 and Fn repeatedly very quickly and it now stays on! I have my warranty extended so I am still gonna send for repair. I will also ask question about fluoro lifespan and possible legal intervention based on apple battery case.

• 1 month later...
Guest reach Modirm

Hi There,

I just hit by the same problem. I called Acer and also told me to pay the 199 and go to Mississauga to fix it up.

Any recommendation. I would appreciate your help it is important and urgent.

Thanks

Mark N

Richmond Hill, Ontario

Believe me, all that Acer cares about is the $199 or about £70 you should pay to send the device to them. And then they will diagnose and send you a massive bill to repair a problem that is simply their own making. And even that repair is not a guaranteed solution to the problem. I think a massive court action is needed to make Acer fix this problem for free or give a replacement laptop (another model - with minimum same specs) for free.