LaptopVideo2Go Forums

Screen Problems with Acer Aspire 8920G

realmickhoy

Guest ADK66

Hey all,

I have the exact same problem. it only started after i moved from Toronto to the middle east two weeks ago, no changes to my system otherwise.

I found a solution on one of the other forums, worked for me:

1) install the latest vga driver

2) turn off the laptop, disconnect from power, take out the battery, and unplug anything else (usb/SDcard/etc.)

3) hold the power button down for 30 seconds (or a bit more)

4) plug in power and turn off without battery...once it's working plug in the battery

apparently this clears static from the ram

other suggestions were to remove the ram and put it back, download windows updates, install windows 7...who knows

good luck!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill

• zipper

• realmickhoy

• ensinks

Today, I removed the BIOS battery plug for an hour, reset everything and it seems to work now. The tiny plug is situated just behind the hard drive and is very delicate.

would love to try this if i knew what "reset everything" means.

ps. how's your screen these days?

Guest zeroskillor

Hello ,

first thx4all the posts! This was very helpful!

My Acer Aspire 8920g has the 1920x1080 screen and has the problem on all Linux(Ubuntu(XFCE/GNOME)/,ARCH, and Windows(XP(SP3/SP2/VISTA) the same problem.

Question 4 me : Is there some basic-common code between the WINDOWS and LINUX Drivers for the nvidia-GPUs? Or some BIOS updates on LINUX and WINDOWS machines?(Plz no OS DISCUSSION)

Operation ACER-ASPIRE8920g:

I had also some time ago problems with the powermanager because my machine(m.m.) shutdown randomly without any command I made. The logfiles shown some ACPI(Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) problems under Ubuntu-8.04+ and Windows XP SP3 . I solved this:

Disconnect all>plug out the battery>switch on without battery (Do not plug in the battery again ;-) )

9 month later:

My screen backlights starts to switch off and sometimes also the whole screen. Could also not enter the BIOS with screen (but I had 2nd one)

I pluged out the battery and checked the poorly constructed power interface on the left side of the computer. Then I ckecked the connection from the 30PIN cable of the screen to the GPU . All fine. If you pulg out the screen cable and plug it in again the screen was somtimes working for 1s to 30min. Was very strange.

Then I tried a post of Guest_Sammy_ :

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:18 PM

Hey all,

I have the exact same problem. it only started after i moved from Toronto to the middle east two weeks ago, no changes to my system otherwise.

I found a solution on one of the other forums, worked for me:

1) install the latest vga driver

2) turn off the laptop, disconnect from power, take out the battery, and unplug anything else (usb/SDcard/etc.)

3) hold the power button down for 30 seconds (or a bit more)

4) plug in power and turn off without battery...once it's working plug in the battery

apparently this clears static from the ram

other suggestions were to remove the ram and put it back, download windows updates, install windows 7...who knows

good luck!

Do all of this until the last point. I did not pluged in the battery again and it works until today.

If somebody needs more details of my AcerAspire8920g send me a tweet [aet]zerokillor!

I will check my battery next time in the lab maybe it produces voltage problems???

Best regards

zeroskillor

• 1 month later...

Hello ,

first thx4all the posts! This was very helpful!

My Acer Aspire 8920g has the 1920x1080 screen and has the problem on all Linux(Ubuntu(XFCE/GNOME)/,ARCH, and Windows(XP(SP3/SP2/VISTA) the same problem.

Question 4 me : Is there some basic-common code between the WINDOWS and LINUX Drivers for the nvidia-GPUs? Or some BIOS updates on LINUX and WINDOWS machines?(Plz no OS DISCUSSION)

Operation ACER-ASPIRE8920g:

I had also some time ago problems with the powermanager because my machine(m.m.) shutdown randomly without any command I made. The logfiles shown some ACPI(Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) problems under Ubuntu-8.04+ and Windows XP SP3 . I solved this:

Disconnect all>plug out the battery>switch on without battery (Do not plug in the battery again ;-) )

9 month later:

My screen backlights starts to switch off and sometimes also the whole screen. Could also not enter the BIOS with screen (but I had 2nd one)

I pluged out the battery and checked the poorly constructed power interface on the left side of the computer. Then I ckecked the connection from the 30PIN cable of the screen to the GPU . All fine. If you pulg out the screen cable and plug it in again the screen was somtimes working for 1s to 30min. Was very strange.

Then I tried a post of Guest_Sammy_ :

Do all of this until the last point. I did not pluged in the battery again and it works until today.

If somebody needs more details of my AcerAspire8920g send me a tweet [aet]zerokillor!

I will check my battery next time in the lab maybe it produces voltage problems???

Best regards

zeroskillor

Hi all

I use both Linux and Windows and the screen goes dark in both environments, it helps on my 8920G is to lower the brightness with fn + arrow left, right to a minimum and gradually raise it

Guest dyzzyd

Hi all

I use both Linux and Windows and the screen goes dark in both environments, it helps on my 8920G is to lower the brightness with fn + arrow left, right to a minimum and gradually raise it

Guest dyzzyd

Thanks for posting the most useful info for me. I have a acer aspire 4730z with the same problems.

I already changed the inverter which didn't help. my screen is ok but backlight is tripping, I also have some screen flicker when it first starts up.

I've set the screen brightness to max which seems to be a more stable situation.(ever dim the voltage on a cfl bulb? it will cut out if voltage is too low YMMV)I can turn the backlight back on by the Fn-F6 trick (off then on) but I have also been able to turn it on with the (brightness) Fn-"right/left-arrow" adjustment but only when brightness is on max.

Now to search on replacing the ccfl (not worth buying a new screen)

hope this helps someone. Deano

• 3 weeks later...

same problem when press fn+f6 it comes but dont know how long it gonna last.....pls some 1 find the solution......

i have the same problem for the last year after repeated FN & F6 my screen no longer stays on for no longer than 2 seconds my laptop is about 5 years old i have had it looked at about 5 times by different shops and been told it is my inverter or my screen i have got an inverter coming today from ebay £23.00 i am going to fit it my self but if you can't do it a pc repair shop should cost about £20 to do it for you when i fit mine and it works i will post to let you all know thanks neil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rich111

Hi,

Ok, fingers crossed I have fixed my issue with the backlight. Same problem for many people here, having to press Fn+F6 and the the backlight would come on for a few seconds then go again. Maybe there is another cause to this problem, but replacing the inverter worked for me (up to now).

I got my inverter from ebay, make sure you get from a good seller. I think replacing the inverter might not seem to work for a few people because it is a bit of a hassle to change, easy to break something else whilst doing so.

You can download the service manual for the 8920g, to become familiar with what you need to do...google is your friend ;) But here is how i did it.

To remove the front bezel you need to detach the screen from the base. Remove screws form the base (only half of them need to come out towards the screen. Also remove the hinge covers (where the power cable and lock are). Under here are circuits for the LED lights, i removed these and the metal base also for ease of access.

Then use a credit card or similar to detach the speaker cover above the keyboard. Then you can access the hinge screws (hinge also attached by two screws from base). Be very careful with the wires etc, you can unplug some (but make sure you have earthed yourself etc) I didnt bother, just be careful when moving laptop around.

Then gently you can take the screen away from the base, again be careful, when laying down make sure no wires are being stretched etc. You can then remove all the screws from the bezel. Use credit card again to 'unsnap' it from the screen, dont be forceful as you dont want to break your screen after all this hassle. The two bottom corners is where i had most difficulty, in actually taking it off to get to the inverter.

Once the bezel is off, you can remove the connections to your broken inverter and replace with your new one. One screw attaching it.

The carefully reassemble your laptop, and hopefully it will work again.

*disclaimer: doing this worked for me, I will not be held responsible for anyone breaking their laptop by following these instructions. i do recommend reading the service manual first.

**note to Acer: your customer support sucks, and your assembly doubly sucks. if you have a known issue with a part dont make it a b**** to get to just so you can make more money in service repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Back light just blew 6 months after it blew last time. Laptop is now-18 months old. So, light will blow every 6 months! Piece of crap computer for a really good price. Beware people-unless you want to spend $200 every 6 months on a back light. Everyone needs to report this company to the better business bureau. Customer service is whatever company tells them to be. They are only doing their job...their job is to blow you off and collect $200. I'm sure the company continues to grow and the repair department keeps them afloat. I am extremely sorry we purchased this laptop for our college student. What a waste of money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest DèO936

I got the same problem with my 8920g too. I want to try it with the bios before i buy anything. If you fix the problem so far help me please.

best wishes from Frankfurt a. M.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest erian01
Hay there,
I just solved my problem in a simple way:
take out the power plug;
remove battery pack;
wait a minute before replacing the battery pack;
plug in the power plug;
start up as usual.
Voila! Good Luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Solved the issue on mine by installing a new inverter - Ebay item 280787057548, $25 delivered from Hong Kong, although it was only $15 when I bought it. Not a job for the faint of heart, lots of screws, circuit boards, and plastic parts need to be removed. Symptoms were identical to most I've read about: boots up fine for about 3 or 4 seconds, F6 repeatedly gets it going for a short time then quickly fades to black, upgrading the BIOS and video drivers didn't help. Also not my biggest problem with this computer, lost my hard drive along with everything on it while trying to fix the screen... pictures, files, autocad license... sigh.

Anyway, I think it's already been covered in earlier posts, but don't go buying a new LCD thinking that's the problem without checking it first. Easy to do - take the laptop outside in the bright sun while it's running and let the sun shine directly on the screen. You'll likely see your desktop just fine, even with no backlight. Personally, I was willing to spend $15 to try it, if I had to add $125 for a new screen it wouldn't make economic sense considering how cheap new laptops are now. I'm going to put in a solid state drive and get rid of the idiotic and confusing Canadian/French bilingual keyboard Canada forces on us ($35 for a nice US one on Ebay) and I should have a good backup computer for the road. The 18" 1080 screen and Bluray drive makes it worth the trouble.

Hi, I have an acer aspire 8920g and the display goes black on anything over 50% brightness. This unit cost me 3000 and I was wondering if there is a fix or should I throw the unit away? Thanks, Mark

Mark, see my post right above yours. Take it outside in the sun to make sure your LCD is functioning. If it is, from your symptoms it's highly likely your inverter is weak, but there's a smaller chance it could be the backlight. For $25, changing the inverter could be a cheap fix. Do it yourself if you aren't afraid of taking your computer apart. (Hint: Take lots of pictures during disassembly) I don't think changing the 2 backlight tubes is something I'd want to try but it is doable, I've seen the LCD's (with backlight) available for around $125. Mine was a Samsung LTN184HT01, but you'll need to verify your part number which will be clearly visible when changing the inverter. Even with both changes at $150, if you read the rest of this thread you'll see there's still a chance it could be something else like the main board. That's why I was willing to try the inverter as step 1, not sure I would have bothered with the extra money to change the LCD. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...